New Mtn bike

Lawnboi

WKR
I went out looking for deals today as its the end of the year and all the 2012 bikes are being discounted.

I found a specialized carve comp that has really caught my eye. And it seems like a good price as well. I have been riding a hard tail for years and a few years ago went to single speed. I was advised that I might want gears seeing as i plan on moving out west in a couple years so I have talked myself into buying a bike with gearing, and using the single speed conversion kit I already own to switch it back and forth based on what I want at the time.

I test rode the carve for a while and really liked the geometry, along with that it was much much smoother than what I ride now, which is an trek 4000 series with disc brakes and about everything replaced. I have beaten my old trek and its on its last leg.

My budget is around 1000 bucks, and even that is a bit much, so I think a full suspension bike may be out of the question.

What do you guys think about this bike on my budget? I have no idea what to expect as far as trails in the western US, but around here they are bumpy and reletivly flat, meaning few major climbs. Am I looking in the right direction at getting a geared hardtail? Lots of guys swear by there full susupension bikes out west and am wondering if maybe i should save up the coin..... which i might never be able to do. Not to mention I doubt i will find too much of a better deal on a bike of this caliber any time soon.

What do you guys think?

a3dhunter

WKR
I've ridden a few trails here in Colorado with my hardtail with gears. One ride was around 15 miles with a lot of downhill technical sections and quite a few drops that I was wishing for a full suspension.
I would think if you can save up enough for the full suspension by March or April then I would go that route and get the full suspension, if not then buy the best you can afford during the closeout sales and just accept it.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Around here all the trails flow pretty well and in that environment i think a hardtail rocks. But from reading around it sounds like for a good all around bike for the western states, that I would be foolish not to try a full suspension bike. I can see where it would be nice to have a full suspension when doing more technical or even faster downhills.

As much as I want to save that 300 dollars on a bike and get one now, its going to sit inside till well into april or may. Trails around here are still pretty soggy at that time. So it may be a smart idea to wait, and save

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its out of your price range (but not by too much)... : )
I had a Yeti 575 I bought used for $1500. It was awesome. Had to sell it a few years back, but it was sure a nice ride.. The newer ones are even nicer! : )

Around here all the trails flow pretty well and in that environment i think a hardtail rocks. But from reading around it sounds like for a good all around bike for the western states, that I would be foolish not to try a full suspension bike. I can see where it would be nice to have a full suspension when doing more technical or even faster downhills.

As much as I want to save that 300 dollars on a bike and get one now, its going to sit inside till well into april or may. Trails around here are still pretty soggy at that time. So it may be a smart idea to wait, and save

I've ridden in all the Mtn biking Mecca's: Downieville, Moab, & Fruita as well as another dozen ski resorts in CO, UT & CA all on a hardtail. You don't need full suspension, but on occasion its nice to have. Buy used and get what fits and something you'll like and ride.

They (hardtails) even work well on muddy days:
file_zps4e6f4b41.jpg