New mule deer hunter, but not a new hunter, in CO.

I'm not new to hunting, I've been hunting bucks, grouse, ducks, well anything you can hunt legally. I was born and raised in Minnesota and hunted along the Saint Croix river valley all my life. I've been hunting in Idaho and Colorado before, but in earlier seasons.

I am new to late Colorado and mountain hunting. I've got a 2nd season rifle tag for unit 43 and was wondering if anyone had some good advice on what I can expect deer to do during the first week of November.

Also, what kind of gear I should expect to bring. Not a rich man, but I've been able to get some warm hunting gear over the years. I've got the basics, a good pack, warm jacket, boots, sleeping bag, and binoculars, but do I need a range finder? A spotting scope?

I'm not after a Boone and Crockett, just looking for a good hunt. If you guys could link and threads or just give some good advice, I'd really appreciate it. And yes I'm aware of how much competition there is out here.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Your will need to have a clothing system that allows you to layer up or down depending on your activity level. It can be 60 one day and a snow storm can roll in the next. I'm not an expert on the deer but with hunters on the mountain you can expect similar behavior as in Minnesota. They will head for the thick stuff away from pressure.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
Bobcatbill
Your will need to have a clothing system that allows you to layer up or down depending on your activity level. It can be 60 one day and a snow storm can roll in the next. I'm not an expert on the deer but with hunters on the mountain you can expect similar behavior as in Minnesota. They will head for the thick stuff away from pressure.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapat

Marble

WKR
I'm not new to hunting, I've been hunting bucks, grouse, ducks, well anything you can hunt legally. I was born and raised in Minnesota and hunted along the Saint Croix river valley all my life. I've been hunting in Idaho and Colorado before, but in earlier seasons.

I am new to late Colorado and mountain hunting. I've got a 2nd season rifle tag for unit 43 and was wondering if anyone had some good advice on what I can expect deer to do during the first week of November.

Also, what kind of gear I should expect to bring. Not a rich man, but I've been able to get some warm hunting gear over the years. I've got the basics, a good pack, warm jacket, boots, sleeping bag, and binoculars, but do I need a range finder? A spotting scope?

I'm not after a Boone and Crockett, just looking for a good hunt. If you guys could link and threads or just give some good advice, I'd really appreciate it. And yes I'm aware of how much competition there is out here.
I've hunted 43 for 20 years. But never the first week of November. So it will be new to me this year too.

Plan for mid 60s to 0 degree weather with total dryness or snow, and everything in-between. It's the mountains.

I would never hunt that area without a range finder.

There are quality animals there but it is not easy. It is super steep, high elevation terrain, with very very little road/4 wheeler type hunting.

We all have spotters, we do not carry them with us into the field generally. But we all have one. You could get by without one but you will quickly realize how much it will help you. If you don't have a great set of binos, get those first, then save for tripod and spotter.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Jester653

FNG
Wool base layers. I guarantee you’ll get sweated hiking up mountain every morning...wool is the only material that will make sitting at first light bearable.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hinkraka