New Mystery Ranch Packs?

FYI camofire has started the get rid of the old mystery ranch sale. Selway on sale today....pretty tempting if I didnt know about the new stuff.

"The Beartooth and Sawtooth will not be available in camo patterns this year. This could change in the future, but it's just coyote and foliage for 2019.

The old and existing bags will not fit on the new Guide Light MT Frame, but we may be releasing a buckle kit that would allow you to re-kit the existing bags to fit on the new Guide Light Frame. Additionally, in 2020, all packs that currently use the Guide Light Frame will be updated to the new Guide Light MT Frame. The bag only options will also be updated at that time.

Patrick"

That's the response I got from MR on a couple questions. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I am asking this in all honestly because I am trying not to be a piss head about this.
How much of an grade could these four buckles/ snaps be that is worth this freaking hassle?

My inclination is it is not an upgrade on the buckles, simply a business strategy. Upgraded frame, but make sure it's not easily backwards compatible and then you can sell a kit.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
In regards to the material change, here was MR’s response to my inquiry:

“There's almost no difference in the durability of the two fabrics because of the weave on the 330D. The reason for the change was a lighter fabric with almost identical performance in durability and tear / abrasion resistance.”

In regards to the material change, here was MR’s response to my inquiry:

“There's almost no difference in the durability of the two fabrics because of the weave on the 330D. The reason for the change was a lighter fabric with almost identical performance in durability and tear / abrasion resistance.”
Hmm....brings a pretty big question to my mind, why didn't they make that change on everything else, or use the lighter material to begin with...

Really wish you could buy the updated belt and put it on an old frame.

JD619er

WKR
Either way I choose to look at it as the glass half full and not always thinking the company is out to get me. Even though making money is their ultimate goal. The fact that they are selling a buckle kit is great. Lots of companies change designs and it's nice to able to upgrade your older gear to work. I mean the hypalon sleeves on all the kifaru bags changed and now the old bags on the new frames don't have lower attacents for the load lifters. Just an example of a company that everyone here raves about changing a design. Also the fact that it seems mystery ranch will have more bag only options next year is encouraging seeing that it's something people have been asking for for awhile. I think when the company transitioned to military and fire the only production lines in Bozeman there has been some growing pains in the hunting line but it appears they are finally straightening it out. The guidelight belt did not work great for me but the new style with a beefier lumbar pad and more supportive belt has me thinking about giving mystery ranch another go.

My inclination is it is not an upgrade on the buckles, simply a business strategy. Upgraded frame, but make sure it's not easily backwards compatible and then you can sell a kit.

It is working for Apple. God help me if mystery ranch figures out a way to make my old pack a bit heavier and less comfortable every time they release a new product.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Either way I choose to look at it as the glass half full and not always thinking the company is out to get me. Even though making money is their ultimate goal. The fact that they are selling a buckle kit is great. Lots of companies change designs and it's nice to able to upgrade your older gear to work.

The quote above someone posted says they may offer a kit (I presume they would but they aren't currently selling one).

The buckle change isn't related to the lumbar/belt upgrade that folks wanted and they didn't change the footprint of the frame or location of the buckles as far as one can visually see (IE if they kept the old buckles this new frame would be compatible with their prior packs w/o any hassle). They have to had expected prior customers to wonder WHY they changed the buckles right? It would be interesting to hear. Do the buckles offer the user a better experience in some way? Maybe they saved some grams switching buckles but is it a meaningful amount to the user?

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
The buckle change isn't related to the lumbar/belt upgrade that folks wanted and they didn't change the footprint of the frame or location of the buckles as far as one can visually see (IE if they kept the old buckles this new frame would be compatible with their prior packs w/o any hassle). They have to had expected prior customers to wonder WHY they changed the buckles right? It would be interesting to hear. Do the buckles offer the user a better experience in some way? Maybe they saved some grams switching buckles but is it a meaningful amount to the user?

Not sure which is really louder when it comes to companies listening to social media (Facebook, YouTube, Forums, Instagrams, eg) but maybe...just maybe...it's a business-decision to start counting grams to cater to the Ultralight Community who's shopping for a lighter-yet-tougher material packs. It's a fast growing community that speaks with their hard end money.

330D Robic nylon fabric in their Mountain line is no joke according to the ULTRALIGHT Community...even sometimes used with Hammock Campers weight around 250+ lbs and have not worrying the material ripping.

Maybe the newer buckles is using a newer tougher material which maintaining relatively lower weight in grams. Why not have both?

JD619er

WKR
There's a thread on newbergs forum where Newberg talks a little about the new frame and bags. He says the buckles are lighter and just as strong and that was the reason for the switch

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not sure which is really louder when it comes to companies listening to social media (Facebook, YouTube, Forums, Instagrams, eg) but maybe...just maybe...it's a business-decision to start counting grams to cater to the Ultralight Community who's shopping for a lighter-yet-tougher material packs. It's a fast growing community that speaks with their hard end money.

330D Robic nylon fabric in their Mountain line is no joke according to the ULTRALIGHT Community...even sometimes used with Hammock Campers weight around 250+ lbs and have not worrying the material ripping.

Maybe the newer buckles is using a newer tougher material which maintaining relatively lower weight in grams. Why not have both?

They need to cut frame weight to really make a big difference in the overall offering of their setups. It would be interesting to know how much weight is really saved with the new buckles. "Why not have both?" If you save 8oz then yeah you have a point, if you save 1oz and upset seamless compatibility with all your prior bags/frames then that doesn't seem worth it to users (in my opinion at least), hunters want to save weight but these aren't ultra light packs either. Durability and utility are important, this change is a blow towards seamless utility of their system for heritage users.

JD619er

WKR
I don't think I'm allowed to post a link to another hunting forum on here. Go to his forum website in the backpack hunting section there is a thread titled 2019 mystery ranch packs. Randy's handle is Bigfin he has several posts on there

Trial153

WKR
That post on HT is gone....I commented on it there and now it no place to found.