New nicer rifle or 2 matching lower cost rifles (Practice vs Equipment?)

So in reading the Practice vs. Equipment thread it really got me thinking.

Even though I am primarily an archery hunter, I want to seriously expand my trigger time and improve my rifle shooting. I was planning on treating myself to a new rifle and was looking hard at a Christensen Ridgeline, likely in .280 AI (currently have an older Savage 111 in 7 mm Mag).

Would it make more sense to buy a pair of matched rifles (Savage or Tikka) in the $600-800 range, one in .223 the other in .280 or 7 mm Mag for more identical practice? The only bolt guns I have presently are a Savage 22-250, a Ruger 77/17 and the aforementioned Savage 7mm. I am guessing trigger time with any rifle would provide an significant overall improvement in my rifle skills? But it seems having 2 nearly identical rifles would really enforce the repeatability of cheek weld, alignment, etc (thinking archery with constant and consistent anchor points) vs. moving between different platforms?

Appreciate all the insights?

I’d get two tikkas again in a heartbeat. I’ve got a t1x matched up with my 30-06. .223 would be a more realistic “trainer”, but I get in a ton of shooting because my .22lr is so cheap easy and fun to shoot. It’s a little better for where I live with a decent amount of houses around I don’t like to shoot centerfire every day. I have two swfa 3-9s on them so I get practice dialing quickly with the same scope.

I did this with Tikkas. A T1X, a 223, a 6.5, and a 7mag (it doesn’t get shot very often now).

It’s been great honestly and covers anything and everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
Im doing tikka in 22lr & 223. Seriously considering adding 270wsm to the lineup

A short action in a .308 Win or 6.5 mm will do everything in North America and be packable with shorter barrel. A long action in 7mm or any of the fast 30’s will do too.
Personally I prefer to buy American whenever I can, so I wouldn’t consider an X-Bolt or Tikka.

I’m kind of doing this same thing right now. Not so much a trainer rifle but I’m getting a savage ultralite 30-06 and a savage lightweight storm in 25-06.
like I said not a trainer, but the same stock and scope so the shouldering will be the same