New Nock On Release - Back Strap

bsnedeker

WKR
I just ordered the new release from Dudley. I've been wanting to try a tension release for a while and was thinking about the nock2it/Silverback combo for target shooting and hunting but it's a big investment. This new release seems to check all the boxes for me so I'm excited to check it out. You can make it a trigger activated release just by turning the adjustment screw.

The only thing I'm nervous about is that BOA contraption for tightening it down. How do you ensure you tighten it exactly the same every single time? I guess I'll find out!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Been interested since he started putting up teasers on IG. Report back after some use. Not sure I am ready to drop 220 bucks on a release without some real world feedback.

Thanks

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the feedback comment. Seems very interesting and I like the idea a lot. But as mentioned above. Nervous to drop the coin before I hear soem more reviews.
I will say that it looks like you have to pull the trigger to turn the safety off and the apply pressure from the arm to get it to release. Seems like a great idea.

TX_Diver

WKR
M
Been interested since he started putting up teasers on IG. Report back after some use. Not sure I am ready to drop 220 bucks on a release without some real world feedback.

Thanks
Made by carter so I think it's pretty low risk. Plus it's about guaranteed you can re-sell it when they're out of stock on the site.

I have no desire to go back to a wrist strap but have been wondering why nobody made a tension wrist strap release for a while.

• Banned
OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
M

Made by carter so I think it's pretty low risk. Plus it's about guaranteed you can re-sell it when they're out of stock on the site.

I have no desire to go back to a wrist strap but have been wondering why nobody made a tension wrist strap release for a while.
That was my thought as well, pretty low risk all things considered.

Yooper

WKR
Can't remember the name of it but Carter used to sell a release with the same concept some years ago. Never really took off, though. I imagine the Nock On version is a more refined model.

Zac

WKR
Probably the same internals as the Evolution. Never cared for the Evolution or Silverback. The Stan is a much more consistent tension activated system.

I just ordered the new release from Dudley. I've been wanting to try a tension release for a while and was thinking about the nock2it/Silverback combo for target shooting and hunting but it's a big investment. This new release seems to check all the boxes for me so I'm excited to check it out. You can make it a trigger activated release just by turning the adjustment screw.

The only thing I'm nervous about is that BOA contraption for tightening it down. How do you ensure you tighten it exactly the same every single time? I guess I'll find out!

you will not mind the boa system, i had the same concerns with the boa wise guy, but it's fine.... you'll get the tightness dialed in. don't be scared by the boa

as for the release, i think i'll end up with one too.... looks like a great release. last summer i bought a trufire panic x and a thrufire... both felt foreign early on, and i preferred the panic x. the problem with that release was the inability to get it short enough to fire it with back tension... it had to be pulled like a trigger, but that wasn't a big deal and kept me honest regardless. second problem was a problem... once in awhile it would freeze open, and one of those times was with a bull i bugled in... i'm trying to clip on my release with a bull 14yds and closing... WOULD NOT CLOSE! i was able to hide my hand behind a tree and wiggle it around, and finally get it to close, and i look up and the bull's gone... SHIT! luckily i leaned back and he was still there, he had just walked past me and i ended up shooting him at 7 or 8yds, but in all reality, that release should have cost me that bull, i just got lucky.... that rules out that release for hunting.

now i'm shooting the thrufire, and i like it, but i could see it getting fouled up pretty easy with moisture, dirt, mud, and fern pollen that is all a reality here on the coast. i like the release, but don't really trust it. the back strap seems like all of the good without the bad of the trufire versions. the backstrap seems like the release i have been waiting for, and being a carter, should be solid.

if anyone buys one, keep us posted, i'm very curious! i tried hand held releases a good amount, but they aren't for me, i like wrist strap releases. i also like tension releases, it forces you to stay present in the shot, and i have proved to myself i can't be trusted doing it on my own, haha.

i can shoot a regular wrist rocket fine these days, but after going through a little bout of target panic manifested by shooting my trad bows a bunch self taught stacking up the bad habits as i went, i prefer to be proactive now. TP got me after over 20yrs of shooting and i'm not cocky enough to think i'm now immune, and i appreciate confidence.... so the new backstrap is a very attractive release.

i shoot my recurves more than my compound, but target panic is target panic. when i start getting it with one weapon, it carries over to all of my bows, and even firearms.... i want to keep everything straight, so i don't mind doing things to keep me present in all of my shooting with every weapon i shoot..... the more control i have, the more confidence i have with every weapon, and that alone keeps target panic at bay.

drose

FNG
I think this fits perfect in the industry, big name along with reputable manufacturer. I'm sure it will be a hot seller, but maybe not at the price point. Great way to get more folks aligned with shooting tension (better skill, better shooters). I heard he was designing a wrist release, but pulled the trigger on a silverback. I will be very curious to see the difference between the silverback and back strap. For those of you out there that have both, would love to hear the feedback

Rob5589

WKR
Just watched a short video Dudley had on it. It seems pretty slick. He mentioned it could help for people that freeze below the bullseye, ME! I may bite the bullet and give it a try.

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered this release yesterday. I agree that it has the potential to bridge the gap for people who aren’t ready to jump to a hand held release but want to get into back tension. I already try to shoot my wrist release via back tension but I know that I am not consistent. I also like the fact that it stays on your wrist and is always ready to shoot in a hunting scenarios. I am by no means an expert on archery or releases but when I get mine I will update this thread too. To me trying it has more upsides then downs because as previously stated someone in the #nockonnation will buy it for close to the original purchase price when the supply doesn’t meet the demand.

TheTone

WKR
Another similar carter release from the past was the squeeze me.

there is a lot about this new release I really like. My only questions are how much trigger travel does it have when shooting like a standard index finger and how much weight and adjustment can you have on the trigger and fire it standard? I currently shoot a carter two shot with a heavy trigger spring in it that I try and fire by pulling through

Reactions: Zac

Looks interesting but there is no way I would use the BOA strap so then I would be spending another $20 for a Scott Buckle strap. So now we are up to $240 plus for a unproven release.

I will be waiting to see it in the classifieds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
Another similar carter release from the past was the squeeze me.

there is a lot about this new release I really like. My only questions are how much trigger travel does it have when shooting like a standard index finger and how much weight and adjustment can you have on the trigger and fire it standard? I currently shoot a carter two shot with a heavy trigger spring in it that I try and fire by pulling through
I highly doubt you get a crisp sear activation when you are using it as an index release.

seems like the same thing as the true fire thru fire release. Just happened to see a youtube video of the thru fire like 3 months ago.

OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
seems like the same thing as the true fire thru fire release. Just happened to see a youtube video of the thru fire like 3 months ago.
Hmm...that's an interesting concept, I hadn't heard of it so just looked it up. They are trying to solve the same problem but in very different ways. I like the design on the back strap a lot more though, but we will have to see how well it works.

Looks like the Spot Hogg Wiseguy with the BOA to me... I use that release and will gladly stick with it. Dudley slaps his sticker on everything and upcharges so much to make a profit. I've lost a lot of respect for the guy when every sentence that comes out of his mouth finishes with "traeger" or "nock on"...

Last edited: