New Nock On Release - Back Strap

TheTone

WKR
Yeah you pay a bit more for stuff John is putting his name on but no one is forced to buy something from him. After listening to him talk about it on his podcast I’m more interested than I previously was

comparing it to a wiseguy seems crazy. One of my best friends has one and I still can’t figure out how he shoots it well; way, way to light a trigger for me that would promote punching

Reactions: Zac

Rob5589

WKR
Looks like the Spot Hogg Wiseguy with the BOA to me... I use that release and will gladly stick with it. Dudley slaps his sticker on everything and upcharges so much to make a profit. I've lost a lot of respect for the guy when every sentence that comes out of his mouth finishes with "traeger" or "nock on"...
The WG is a simple trigger; the Back Strap is a tension release that can also be used as a simple trigger. Not the same at all.

MattB

WKR
Looks like the Spot Hogg Wiseguy with the BOA to me... I use that release and will gladly stick with it. Dudley slaps his sticker on everything and upcharges so much to make a profit. I've lost a lot of respect for the guy when every sentence that comes out of his mouth finishes with "traeger" or "nock on"...
That's quite a hot take. Junior member I see.

Chad E

WKR
What it "looks" like vs what it is are two different things. So far the similarities i can see between this and a wise guy are the existence of a trigger and a boa wrist strap and it ends there. Not loving Dudley's name on something is completely fine but your drawing a strange comparison at best.

That's quite a hot take. Junior member I see.
LMAO... what does being a junior member have to do with anything? Post count doesn't define me. Dudley is a fantastic archer and I've learned things from him but he's sold out. If he stopped being a walking billboard for products, then I'd probably appreciate him more. He's done a lot for archery and that's my method of hunting but he's not what he used to be.

I bought one as well and will report back with my initial thoughts also. I love the concept and feel it solves several 'problems' or realities when hunting. Always on your wrist, teaches archers both old and new, how Back tension should work, and essentially is a 2-for-1 release...you're paying $220 for a wrist rocket and a $220 Silverback release. Still a lot of money, no doubt about it. I'm just optimistic if it's truly like the Silverback, which clearly it should be...I can see it being exactly what I personally shoot, being that I prefer the back tension over my other styles of release. But again, that's just me.

Regarding the BOA system, I too had/have some lingering skepticism as well...far far more than whether or not the mechanics of the release works well. I am inclined to agree that the BOA system likely won't be an issue with some repetition of use.. I can always swap it out for a buckle strap if needed.

As stated by several others, Carter's a legit manufacturer and Dudley's been working with them since their early days. In a recent podcast, he gives a quick backstory on releases and those he's been a part of...in short, this release isn't a new idea of his...but the technology simply wasn't there yet to make a wrist strap back tension release without it being too big in size to make sense....not to mention needing multiple springs to cover all draw weights. The original Silverback, which I still shoot and hunt with 80% of the time has different springs for the draw weight range.

However, when Jerry Carter improved the internal workings of the Silverback +, it finally allowed them the ability to go from approx 4lbs- 40lbs of holding weight with only one spring. These new internal components are really the reason Dudley and Jerry were able to design one that wasn't crazy bulky like their original attempts over the last few years.

Will report back soon..

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
I too am very interested in this release. Would like to know how you guys like it.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Looks like typical Carter quality.
I will report back.
dc57a38dfae11e0b2c18dcb90580bb56.jpg

cf3254e1dee5e8ccbb406ceeb310b1ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

db.cannon

FNG
Classified Approved
Did a quick session with mine tonight. really liked it once I got the tension dialed in.

Not sure I like it as a regular index trigger, definitely some travel in it before the trigger trips. As far as using tension to fire, it's a bit different having to flex the index finger but I still feel like I can relax the whole wrist/forearm/outer hand area to activate the shot. With a handheld tension release, I feel a bit more hand relaxation once I left off the safety.
This might change with a bit more time on the release but that was my initial impression.

for reference I shot the silverback for 3d/blank bail last year and hunted with the b3 hawk.

OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
So I finally got mine on Friday and spent some time with it over the last couple of days until I was shooting today and my bow blew up. Did this release make anyone else's bow blow up or is that just me?

Ok, seriously, here are some of my thoughts.

1. It took a while for me to find the tension i liked. I noticed that when I adjust the tension it seemed to take a few shots to "settle in". When I make a change the first shot I take with it the tension is REALLY HIGH. A couple of times I couldn't even get it to go off. The next shot it would be way less, and the third shot it would be even less. What I do now is use an Allen wrench to pull through it a few times after every adjustment and then it is consistent. Anyone else experience that?

2. Once adjusted I really like shooting with it. I think I could hunt with it even without decreasing it to the point it functions as a trigger. Time will tell.

3. So far I don't like the BOA. I'm leaning towards swapping it out but I'll give it some time once I get my new bow in a couple weeks or so.

4. My bow blew up... that sucked.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

eddyprice

FNG
Interesting - I have the BOA dials on my mountain bike shoes. Like them for their ability to fine tune the level of tightness. I did have one that needed to be replaced. Warranty covered it. If someone with this new release doesn't like the BOA strap and wants to sell the strap only send me a message, I might want to try the BOA strap compared to my Scott.

I shot my back strap for a while today. It's definitely going to take some time to get used to, but I as the day progressed I started getting a bit more comfortable. Regarding the BOA, seems like a good, repeatable closure method. I would more question the longevity of the strap itself, it definitely isn't as 'beefy' as a leather buckle strap.

Zac

WKR
So I finally got mine on Friday and spent some time with it over the last couple of days until I was shooting today and my bow blew up. Did this release make anyone else's bow blow up or is that just me?

Ok, seriously, here are some of my thoughts.

1. It took a while for me to find the tension i liked. I noticed that when I adjust the tension it seemed to take a few shots to "settle in". When I make a change the first shot I take with it the tension is REALLY HIGH. A couple of times I couldn't even get it to go off. The next shot it would be way less, and the third shot it would be even less. What I do now is use an Allen wrench to pull through it a few times after every adjustment and then it is consistent. Anyone else experience that?

2. Once adjusted I really like shooting with it. I think I could hunt with it even without decreasing it to the point it functions as a trigger. Time will tell.

3. So far I don't like the BOA. I'm leaning towards swapping it out but I'll give it some time once I get my new bow in a couple weeks or so.

4. My bow blew up... that sucked.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Not a better time for your bow to blow up :)

chasewild

WKR
Can't remember the name of it but Carter used to sell a release with the same concept some years ago. Never really took off, though. I imagine the Nock On version is a more refined model.
It was the carter squeeze me. I have two because it worked so well for me and they discontinued it. I buy them wherever I can find them.

Dmr400

FNG
Anyone have anymore comments about their experience? Particularly after trying it as a trigger release rather than tension activated? As a long time hinge shooter on spots but index trigger for hunting, this release has my attention.

Been shooting mine for a week now.

initial thoughts, it’s super thick compared to the wise guy, felt super weird my first couple rounds

totally agree with others comments dialing in the tension has been a challenge, definitely think it takes a few round to understand what your adjustment did

love the concept. Think you could hunt with it, even with some tension

I got this this a someone who has dealt with sever trigger panic in the past. I HATE the trigger travel in the release, definitely negates some of the benefits of the tension. My shot does not feel anymore of a surprise than a normal trigger release with little to no trigger travel. My thoughts may change once I get the tension settings right.

Also it broke my d loop within my one week of shooting.

I want to love this release, but did feel the need to check the internet to see if the struggle was real for others