New Nock On Release - Back Strap

H80Hunter

WKR
Whew. I just got mine today and I have to say, I have a lot of work to do if I am going to hunt and feel comfortable with this back tension release. I feel as if my target panic and shot anticipation are through the roof using this thing. Towards the end of my shooting today I started to feel a bit more confident but not enough to even pack it as a back up while hunting.
There’s definitely a learning curve with tension releases. I’m not sure I trust myself to hunt with one for a few reasons, but that said I shoot one almost year round except for right before and during hunting season. The habits it teaches me help me shoot a trigger release far better. I shoot slightly better with a thumb than my silverback, but the silverback keeps me much sharper and improved my shooting leaps and bounds with any release.

Reactions: ZDR
I work for the production company that produces all of Dudleys product videos, new product release videos, school of nock and most of his hunts. The benefit of the BOA system is to apply the same amount of tension around your wrist each time, no matter the amount of clothing on your wrist. Its nice because during the summer you can tighten it down more to prevent slipping when your arm is sweaty, and you can loosen it when you have late season layers on.

Ronincjn

FNG
Purchased one a few weeks ago and I too have been having issues setting the tension. It does seem to take some time for it to settle. I’ve also only turned it tension screw 1/8 of a turn and the tension became so hard to pull. When it did finally release I couldn’t get the jaw to snap back in with out reducing the tension screw. I also have a problem with one of the pins wiggle loose on a very consistent basis. I attached a picture. I can push it out completely with a hex key with very little effort. I’ve contacted Carter with the issues still haven’t had a response yet, but I’ll update if I do.

I really want to like this release as well, but the inconsistency I’m experiencing is very off putting.
FA323E7E-6611-4A0D-A97D-66A7B4F2E7CC.jpeg

OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
Purchased one a few weeks ago and I too have been having issues setting the tension. It does seem to take some time for it to settle. I’ve also only turned it tension screw 1/8 of a turn and the tension became so hard to pull. When it did finally release I couldn’t get the jaw to snap back in with out reducing the tension screw. I also have a problem with one of the pins wiggle loose on a very consistent basis. I attached a picture. I can push it out completely with a hex key with very little effort. I’ve contacted Carter with the issues still haven’t had a response yet, but I’ll update if I do.

I really want to like this release as well, but the inconsistency I’m experiencing is very off putting.
View attachment 271008
I wonder if you got a lemon? Brand new product on the market there are bound to be some QA issues. Hopefully Carter makes it right for you, please keep us posted!

Ronincjn

FNG
I wonder if you got a lemon? Brand new product on the market there are bound to be some QA issues. Hopefully Carter makes it right for you, please keep us posted!
Spoke with Forest today on the phone. I will be sending it to him under warranty. Long and short is: during a session today I punched myself in the face while drawing my bow. Thought maybe I forgot to re-engage the jaw, tried again and almost punched myself again. Third attempt was done with para-cord, and without touching the trigger it release under the tension.

Really sucks, but I have faith in Carter. I have a couple of other release made by them, including a evolution + and they are amazing and I have never had a single issue. I think this is just bad luck. I’ll continue to update as things progress.

lintond

WKR
One of my main concerns with the Silverback was whenever I shot up/down hill I found that it was much harder to be consistent, and therefore didn't want to hunt with it. Anybody experience that with either the backstrap or silverback?

Ravenk

FNG
I totally like the idea of this and the Tru Ball. Hopefully, it lives up to the hype.

cgillis

FNG
The release fell apart after about 50 shots. Wanted to share this. I will be contacting Carter and hopefully they can help me out. Release.jpg

I am curious as to why everyone is buying the nockon backstrap over the T.R.U ball x-tension rt. the x-tension has a buckle strap. What do you think?

OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
Because it has Dudley’s name associated with it, no other reason.
Lol... that's absurd.

The tru ball looks cool. Honestly though they both came out about the same time and I heard about the bsckstrap first and ordered it immediately because it was exactly what I was wanting in a release. Had I known about the tru ball i would have considered it for sure... I've been using a tru ball for years.

Edit: one thing I forgot to mention, i like the way the backstrap works over the tru ball. Makes more sense to pull the trigger to activate rather than the reverse.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
Lol... that's absurd.

The tru ball looks cool. Honestly though they both came out about the same time and I heard about the bsckstrap first and ordered it immediately because it was exactly what I was wanting in a release. Had I known about the tru ball i would have considered it for sure... I've been using a tru ball for years.

Edit: one thing I forgot to mention, i like the way the backstrap works over the tru ball. Makes more sense to pull the trigger to activate rather than the reverse.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Absurd indeed.

I bought the Back Strap due to a combination of the actuation making more sense as well as the Nock On product being made by Carter, which has a better reputation for quality than Tru-Ball.

But the junior member is going to think what he is going to think.

Zac

WKR
Absurd indeed.

I bought the Back Strap due to a combination of the actuation making more sense as well as the Nock On product being made by Carter, which has a better reputation for quality than Tru-Ball.

But the junior member is going to think what he is going to think.
Are you kidding? More Pros shoot Truball than any other company. I don't think any release company has a better reputation than Truball.

Last edited:
Shot properly in tension mode, the trigger just releases the safety. If the bow is going off as a result of you pulling the trigger, it is not set right. Sounds like you know that, but also sounds like you impression is skewed as a result.
Totally agree. iv gotten more used to it with time. At first giving myself permission to consciously move my index finger, and feeling that trigger move felt wrong.

MattB

WKR
Totally agree. iv gotten more used to it with time. At first giving myself permission to consciously move my index finger, and feeling that trigger move felt wrong.
I took me a couple of sessions to get mine set correctly.

Ronincjn

FNG
Just received my Backstrap back yesterday from Carter. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet, but with some para cord it felt so much better. It doesn’t feel like the same release.

1stSgt M

Lil-Rokslider
I have been in search of a release that will truly help me with my target panic so after a lot of research I decided to try the Nock-On Backstrap. After over 800 arrows using this release I thought I would share some feedback. First it has help me significantly, it has forced me to improve my form and focus tightening my groups consistently. What I have had a major concern with is the quality of the release, after the first 100 arrows I noticed my D-loop fraying, after replacing it the same thing occur again. I reached out to Nock-On and Carter they basically said send it back we’ll take a look at it (I was surprise with the lack of customer service by both companies). I was able to polish the jaw to resolve the D-loop issue. Today I shot 4 arrows walk to my target to remove them looked down at my release and the jaw was missing! Fortunately, I was able to find it and the roll pin, but now I have no confidence in the quality of this expensive release especially in a hunting situation. I went with this release over the Trufire Thrufire because of Carter name, maybe I made the wrong choice?

Attachments

• IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1401.jpg
    IMG_1401.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 31