New Nock On Release - Back Strap

OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
Been shooting mine for a week now.

initial thoughts, it’s super thick compared to the wise guy, felt super weird my first couple rounds

totally agree with others comments dialing in the tension has been a challenge, definitely think it takes a few round to understand what your adjustment did

love the concept. Think you could hunt with it, even with some tension

I got this this a someone who has dealt with sever trigger panic in the past. I HATE the trigger travel in the release, definitely negates some of the benefits of the tension. My shot does not feel anymore of a surprise than a normal trigger release with little to no trigger travel. My thoughts may change once I get the tension settings right.

Also it broke my d loop within my one week of shooting.

I want to love this release, but did feel the need to check the internet to see if the struggle was real for others

I actually have come to really like the trigger travel and have just made it a part of my draw cycle. Prior to pulling the trigger I always remind myself to ensure I'm relaxed enough the trigger won't go off when I pull through. It adds one more check into the process which I just find helps keep me in the shot mentally. Once I hit the back end of that trigger I just hold on target and execute back tension and I've found it to work really well.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I think anyone that is having trouble with target panic that also dislikes a traditional handheld hinge or tension release will like it. It takes a few minutes to dial in the tension but its not as difficult as some have made it seem.
Although I did use it on an Alabama doe hunt and it worked fine, I see it as a tool for reinforcing good form habits and I will most likely switch back to my RX-1 for the fall. Maybe that will change, we will see.

Brendan

WKR
I broke down and have one getting delivered today, so should have it set up and be shooting it soon.

Haven't been shooting my bow as much, but getting ramped up again as draw season is pointing to at least one archery tag...

Dmr400

FNG
I ordered one last night as wel, saw they were in stock and figured with the way things are right now there was no telling when they might be in stock again.

MattB

WKR
I HATE the trigger travel in the release, definitely negates some of the benefits of the tension. My shot does not feel anymore of a surprise than a normal trigger release with little to no trigger travel. My thoughts may change once I get the tension settings right.
Shot properly in tension mode, the trigger just releases the safety. If the bow is going off as a result of you pulling the trigger, it is not set right. Sounds like you know that, but also sounds like you impression is skewed as a result.

Brendan

WKR
Setup for me didn't take much, but that's because I didn't change anything yet. Came out of the package breaking at ~19# and can shoot it fine there for now.

So far, I like it. But that's only a dozen shots in the basement, so need to spend some time behind it...

Brendan

WKR
One more comment for me, not sure if this is a good thing or not. I can definitely cheat pretty easily with this release if I need to.

First way of shooting it is just draw, relax into the valley, pull the trigger and then gradually start expanding and pulling into the wall until it fires, basically the way it's supposed to go off.

Without changing anything, I can also draw, preload a whole bunch of pressure into the wall, and then pull the trigger and have the bow fire instantaneously...

Could be useful if you needed to time a shot in a tight window? But, back to trigger punching in that second scenario...

Without changing anything, I can also draw, preload a whole bunch of pressure into the wall, and then pull the trigger and have the bow fire instantaneously...

Could be useful if you needed to time a shot in a tight window? But, back to trigger punching in that second scenario...
haha, that's probably how many will use it! "man, love this new release, i have perfected back tension....punch!"

i'm pretty curious about this release, it sounds cool, but i don't know i need one. i have both the trufire thrufire and panic x, and i think those are both fine for trainers, and i'm back to shooting my wiseguy and missed it.... if i start having problems, i'll just go back to those other releases for awhile. the back strap certainly seems like a better mouse trap all around, i just don't feel the urge yet.

Brendan

WKR
haha, that's probably how many will use it! "man, love this new release, i have perfected back tension....punch!"

i'm pretty curious about this release, it sounds cool, but i don't know i need one. i have both the trufire thrufire and panic x, and i think those are both fine for trainers, and i'm back to shooting my wiseguy and missed it.... if i start having problems, i'll just go back to those other releases for awhile. the back strap certainly seems like a better mouse trap all around, i just don't feel the urge yet.

To cheat, you do have to execute the shot pretty differently - you have to be really intentional about cheating. Not like you can just punch the trigger at random.

Granted I don't have much time behind it, but so far I like the release. Ergonomics aren't substantially different than my RX1, so if you really want to practice executing a back tension shot and are an index trigger shooter, this is a pretty good option.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I ordered one last night as wel, saw they were in stock and figured with the way things are right now there was no telling when they might be in stock again.
Dang it. I was supposed to be on the list to be notified when they restocked. Will have to look now.

I’ve shot a carter like mike and a carter backstrap for years. I never really liked how I had to let up on the trigger, then use back tension on the original carter backstrap.
The new Nock On Backstrap is nearly identical in size to my line mike release. So far I am liking the Nock On back strap. Just feels more natural to squeeze the trigger, and then use back tension to make it fire. That is the way I shoot my Like Mike when everything is going well.

I like the tension activated releases for hunting. Every once in a while I get punchy on the trigger on animals, and it costs me a punched tag. Releases like the back strap make me pick a spot on the animal and squeeze through the shot.

I have been waiting for exactly this release for years. The strap is ok. I’ll probably change it out for a regular Scott release. I don’t really want to add something else that could fail like the dial on the wrist strap, or the small cable that tightens the strap.

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
Can't remember the name of it but Carter used to sell a release with the same concept some years ago. Never really took off, though. I imagine the Nock On version is a more refined model.
It's the Squeeze Me, no longer manufactured, but I have two and will never go back, they are awesome!

Bearsears

WKR
Just got mine tonight. As a left handed shooter the bowa clicker sits right on top of my wrist bone and its pretty uncomfortable when drawing and shooting. I'll probably switch that out. Im definitely going to still have to play with the poundage setting and get used to shooting it with back tension. The first few shots were a total wake up call to how bad my target panic and trigger punch really were. One downside for me though is I think my set screw is a dud. I cant get it to stop the adjustment screw from turning. Has anybody else had an issue with the set screw not locking down the adjustment screw? I'll probably call Carter tomorrow.

Bearsears

WKR
Just got mine tonight. As a left handed shooter the bowa clicker sits right on top of my wrist bone and its pretty uncomfortable when drawing and shooting. I'll probably switch that out. Im definitely going to still have to play with the poundage setting and get used to shooting it with back tension. The first few shots were a total wake up call to how bad my target panic and trigger punch really were. One downside for me though is I think my set screw is a dud. I cant get it to stop the adjustment screw from turning. Has anybody else had an issue with the set screw not locking down the adjustment screw? I'll probably call Carter tomorrow.
Update. I messed with it this morning and it turns out the Allen wrench they sent with the release was stripped out on both ends. I grabbed my snap on set from the garage and it tightened right up. Now Im just going to get a different wrist strap and put some range time on this thing. Ill update with thoughts as I go.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
One more comment for me, not sure if this is a good thing or not. I can definitely cheat pretty easily with this release if I need to.

First way of shooting it is just draw, relax into the valley, pull the trigger and then gradually start expanding and pulling into the wall until it fires, basically the way it's supposed to go off.

This isn't any different than any handheld tension release. Dudley has been talking about checking in for quite a while now.

Brendan

WKR
This isn't any different than any handheld tension release. Dudley has been talking about checking in for quite a while now.

True, but how you fire it and how you cheat is different.

You can leave the safety on with a handheld and release it to fire if you preload enough. But, cheating with a backstrap is exactly the same as how you fire an index release. If you have enough preload, just pull the trigger exactly the same and it fires instantaneously.

And, with either you can just grip it and rip it from the valley to get it to fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac

dyllanmurray

Lil-Rokslider
Whew. I just got mine today and I have to say, I have a lot of work to do if I am going to hunt and feel comfortable with this back tension release. I feel as if my target panic and shot anticipation are through the roof using this thing. Towards the end of my shooting today I started to feel a bit more confident but not enough to even pack it as a back up while hunting.

Bearsears

WKR
Whew. I just got mine today and I have to say, I have a lot of work to do if I am going to hunt and feel comfortable with this back tension release. I feel as if my target panic and shot anticipation are through the roof using this thing. Towards the end of my shooting today I started to feel a bit more confident but not enough to even pack it as a back up while hunting.

My thoughts exactly