New O/U Shotgun advice?

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone - I'm looking at getting a new shotgun as a celebratory christmas present to myself. I'd like to get a high end over/under that I'll have for the rest of my life. I'll mostly use it for upland hunting, pheasant/quail and the occasional longer chukar/hun hike. (Maybe VERY little clay shooting, a couple times a year for fun)

I am left handed.. that kind of throws a wrench in it for me. Does it matter much?

At the top of my list right now are the LH Benelli 828u, Browning B525, and the Beretta 694. From the website it appears they all offer a LH option. It seems like the Beretta is more of a clay shooting gun (heavier, longer barrels etc) does that matter much?

I'm going to try to go to a few different places over the holidays and see how many different ones I can pick up, it might be difficult to actually find and pick up all the ones I'd like but we'll see what I can find. I guess my main questions for someone out there who knows more than I do:
1.) Does it matter much if I get a specified LH gun? I don't know much about cast on/off but I know that's a consideration, other than casting, palm swell and the lever? I'd like to avoid getting a custom stock or anything just out of convenience sake.
2.) Any others I should add to my list?
3.) A lot of o/u's are classified as "sporting" or "clay" would these work well in a hunting situation or should I lean toward the guns that are classified as "field" guns? Seems like a sporting/clay gun with 28" barrels might work fine in a hunting situation but I don't know. Might just be a bit heavier.

All input is appreciated!
Thanks

WRO

WKR
Stay away from the benelli..

It's a problematic pile of dog doo..

I'd look at FAIR, rizzini, and some of the other Italians..

I do have an o/u for sale, great gun just too nice to take chukar hunting..

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen that just from looking up the reviews, but also have heard good things about the Benelli so I wasn't sure what to think.

I'll add those to my list, thanks!

WRO

WKR
I've seen that just from looking up the reviews, but also have heard good things about the Benelli so I wasn't sure what to think.

I'll add those to my list, thanks!
Greg Carpiniello at the Orvis Gun room is a treasure trove of information, I didn't buy a gun from him, but he was very helpful to me answering my questions..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at Fabarm or Caesar Guerini. They make really nice O/U for the price.

Reactions: WRO
OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I’ll add those to my list and reach out to Greg at the orvis gun room.

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
Good to hear! Looks like the silver pigeon might be one that is more available to actually pick up.

Holocene

WKR
I'm a lefty as well so feel your anxiety about whether a cast on stock matters, especially in an O/U where little plastic shims either aren't available or aren't tasteful. It matters. After years of shooting lots of guns and then teaching shotgun classes to a bunch of people through work, my view is that a person should shoot with their dominant eye always. Especially for hunting. So, get a cast on gun or at the least a neutral cast gun with no weird palm swell for righties.

What's your budget? What are your dimensions? Are you a 20 or a 12 man?

A Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I would be a fantastic choice. They come in left-handed models. Cole's guns has a huge stockpile of beautiful left-handed wood for the Beretta 686 series guns. Some of their newer, high-end guns as well. Check that out.

B.Rizzini makes a fantastic little O/U in several grades, and their hunting models are generally cast neutral. I shoot them left-handed very well. Avoid any gun dedicated to sporting clays as it will tend to have exaggerated cast and palm swell going on.

Brownings are classy and strong, but I find them a little clunky somehow. Much prefer the Italian guns for O/U. Just preference. I shoot a Browning Maxus as my main gun so I'm not against Browning at all.

Just don't get suckered into a Turkish gun branded Italian, such as the Franchi Instinct. Way overpriced for what it is -- an entry level firearm.

A note on barrel length -- for a lifetime do-all gun that is for open-country upland species you mention and some light clay shooting, think hard about a 30" barrels. I actually prefer 32" but I'm 6'4" and have a 15"+ length of pull for what it's worth. Some traditionalists will balk at that advice, but you might shoot the longer gun better and who doesn't like more birds in the bag. Some close flushing quail and grouse situations will feel tight, but overall shooting will be better. Of course, if you are 5'10" or shorter, the 28" could fit your frame very well.

Good luck finding the one.

elkguide

WKR
I shoot a Browning Citori for Sporting Clays/Trap and love the gun. It is just to heavy to carry on an upland hunt for me. I know that they don't get great reviews but I shoot a Ruger Red Label in 20 Gauge for upland as it just fits and points just so well for me. I think that you really have to shoulder a gun and have a knowledgeable shotgun coach fit you.

What's your price limit? Do have a gauge preference? I'd also be looking at classic used guns as well such as a Browning Superposed Superlight or Lightning. I wouldn't buy any without shouldering and preferably shooting first. They are a lot like boots, different guns fit individuals very differently. Good luck - the search is half the fun!

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
Now that’s some information I’m after! Thanks everybody.

I am 5’11” but I’ve never measured my length of pull. But don’t have a crazy wingspan or anything either.

I’ve always shot 12 gauges as that’s what was available growing up and what I shoot now. Figured I’d stick with it.

For budget I was thinking about $4k but could go over a bit for the right gun. Less would be great obviously.. There’s a lot of options in the 2-3500 range so I’m going to look at my options there first. I’m not spending over 5k for sure. Just want a really quality gun I’ll have forever and give to future kids someday but don’t need/want to spend 10 grand for a collectors gun or anything.

I’ll make sure it’s either neutral cast or cast on. Would all “left handed” models be cast on? Is an exaggerated cast-on stock on a trap gun still not desirable if though it’s left handed? Sorry if those are dumb questions, maybe I need to do more research on that.

I completely agree with the comment regarding brownings. Couldn’t ever really describe it but that’s it, doesn’t bother me too much so I wasn’t ruling them out.

I was kind of stuck on 28” barrels but for no other reason than 26 looks short and 30-32” just looks long. Barrel length may come down to what length is on the ones that I can actually pick up and handle.

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a Browning Citori for Sporting Clays/Trap and love the gun. It is just to heavy to carry on an upland hunt for me. I know that they don't get great reviews but I shoot a Ruger Red Label in 20 Gauge for upland as it just fits and points just so well for me. I think that you really have to shoulder a gun and have a knowledgeable shotgun coach fit you.
I need a knowledgeable shotgun coach for more reasons than just picking out a fancy shotgun..

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I have Citori 12 gauges with 30” barrels and a Ruger red label 20 with 28” barrels. I think 28” is a good length for an all around gun and if I could only have one, it would be a 12 ga.

I would agree that fit is most important. Handle as many as you can. I would rather have a cheaper gun that fits than a more expensive gun that doesn’t. I’m a fan of beretta shotguns but have never found one of there over unders that shouldered properly for me. I only mention it to make my point about proper fit.

Good luck, the search is half the fun.

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
I have Citori 12 gauges with 30” barrels and a Ruger red label 20 with 28” barrels. I think 28” is a good length for an all around gun and if I could only have one, it would be a 12 ga.

I would agree that fit is most important. Handle as many as you can. I would rather have a cheaper gun that fits than a more expensive gun that doesn’t. I’m a fan of beretta shotguns but have never found one of there over unders that shouldered properly for me. I only mention it to make my point about proper fit.

Good luck, the search is half the fun.
Thanks for the info. I going to go over the holidays and start picking up as many as I can!

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
Having the gun with appropriate cast on for a left handed shooter is one of many important stock fit variables for having the shotgun naturally point where you are looking. It will improve your hits on target for sure.