New pack hint on the Exo site.

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone else read the little info released on the exp site? It says that they are ditching titanium in the frame in favor of aerospace aluminum. This will result in a lighter frame without sacrificing rigidity. Also it says a K3 is coming soon............

I am gonna buy the new pack when it becomes available. I hope I can get it delivered by Aug as I sold my old pack. Should I order the K2 pack now or wait for the new K3 and hope it shows up in time? For those who have Exos, how long did it take to get it?

87TT

WKR
I don't know. I think I'll stay with the Ti frame.
I got mine at their store so it took maybe 10 min. so no idea with shipping but they have been real fast on other stuff if it's in stock. Call them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
It will all depend on where you fall on the order list and how many they have once they open orders up. If you miss the first round you may cut it close. I have to say i'm not exactly thrilled with how long it's taking them to get the new stuff released, and the main reason I have carried their packs for the past 4 years is because of the titanium frame. If that changes to aluminum, then they are losing what differentiated them from everyone else. That Seek Outside Lanner is looking better by the day to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
Maybe the price will drop a bunch? It should. Doesn't matter what kind of aluminum they use, it will be cheaper and I don't think as strong.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can read all about it on their page. Doesn't sound like it's gonna be cheaper, if anything it'll be more expensive. Gonna be in any pack from April on. Cuts 2oz from the titanium frame. Click on the "military grade materials" link on the first page.
e7b0a977ac86ab25efe342b8ecca41ee.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
Aluminum doesn't handle fatigue the same way titanium does. Repeated flexing and bending has a different effect on aluminum than it does on titanium. All that to save 2oz and to tell us it's the best stuff no one has ever heard of. I'm in a wait and see mode.

87TT

WKR
For the OP, I would buy one now. Then again there may be a lot of used ones floating around once the new ones come out. Some people just have to have the newest stuff.

OP
wekilldeer

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider
I too am a little concerned with the transition to aluminum stays. 2oz of weight is not enough to warrant a material change alone. Looks like I will be getting the new aluminum in my frame no matter what so hopefully the new frame has other upgrades as well.

Sharpspur

FNG
Being a taller guy, Mark advised me to wait on the new frame. He said it would fit me better. Just waiting to place my order!

Anyone else read the little info released on the exp site? It says that they are ditching titanium in the frame in favor of aerospace aluminum. This will result in a lighter frame without sacrificing rigidity. Also it says a K3 is coming soon............

I am gonna buy the new pack when it becomes available. I hope I can get it delivered by Aug as I sold my old pack. Should I order the K2 pack now or wait for the new K3 and hope it shows up in time? For those who have Exos, how long did it take to get it?

Shouldn't be a problem to get you a pack well before August. Production on the 2019 packs is starting right now. The goal is to have a solid amount of inventory in stock ready to ship as soon as we launch, that way there isn't any lag time or backorder situations. Worst case scenario we'll begin shipping July 1. Most likely it will be sooner than that.

If you guys have any questions on the new packs I'm happy to answer on here.

The new frame material is an an Ultra high strength Aluminum called K794. We have been testing and abusing it for over a year now with excellent results. In the end it achieves identical strength to our Titanium frame but does that in 2 oz lighter package. 2oz on its own may not sound like much but one of the design goals for the new K3 frame was to reduce its overall weight by 8oz compared to the K2 frame. 2oz went a long ways towards doing that.

In a big picture summary we've been able to increase performance, comfort and durability all the while saving about 10-12 ounces out of a complete pack. The weight has been saved through smarter design and better materials like the new K794 tubing rather than making foam thinner, use smaller webbing, removing features etc. In fact we went the opposite way in a lot of areas, the pack is now all 1" webbing with 2" webbing on the belts, the foam on the harness and belts is thicker, there is more adjustment in the frame for fitting, etc

We'll have the new frame that comes in 2 different frame height options (24-25.5" and 25-26.5") and 4 new bags coming out (3200, 4800, 6400 with an 1800 coming in August)

We've spent over two years working on the new frame and it has some really cool features we are very excited about. On the bags we've made some nice changes to them but definitely haven't departed too far from our current designs. Lots more info and pics will be coming most likely early May once the first production runs start coming off the line.

To give you an idea of weight I have a complete 6400 sitting here at my desk weighing in at 4lbs 14oz. Its not a final production sample but the end weight will be very close to that.

Steve

Jbehredt

WKR
Shouldn't be a problem to get you a pack well before August. Production on the 2019 packs is starting right now. The goal is to have a solid amount of inventory in stock ready to ship as soon as we launch, that way there isn't any lag time or backorder situations. Worst case scenario we'll begin shipping July 1. Most likely it will be sooner than that.

The new frame material is an an Ultra high strength Aluminum called K794. We have been testing and abusing it for over a year now with excellent results. In the end it achieves identical strength to our Titanium frame but does that in 2 oz lighter package. 2oz on its own may not sound like much but one of the design goals for the new K3 frame was to reduce its overall weight by 8oz compared to the K2 frame. 2oz went a long ways towards doing that.

In a big picture summary we've been able to increase performance, comfort and durability all the while saving about 10-12 ounces out of a complete pack. The weight has been saved through smarter design and better materials like the new K794 tubing rather than making foam thinner, use smaller webbing, removing features etc. In fact we went the opposite way in a lot of areas, the pack is now all 1" webbing with 2" webbing on the belts, the foam on the harness and belts is thicker, there is more adjustment in the frame for fitting, etc

We'll have the new frame that comes in 2 different frame height options (24-25.5" and 25-26.5") and 4 new bags coming out (3200, 4800, 6400 with an 1800 coming in August)

We've spent over two years working on the new frame and it has some really cool features we are very excited about. On the bags we've made some nice changes to them but definitely haven't departed too far from our current designs. Lots more info and pics will be coming most likely early May once the first production runs start coming off the line.

To give you an idea of weight I have a complete 6400 sitting here at my desk weighing in at 4lbs 14oz. Its not a final production sample but the end weight will be very close to that.

Steve

Pics or it didn’t happen ;)

sneaky

"DADDY"

Steve
I'm not concerned with a 2oz weight difference, I wanna know how stiff the frame is torsionally. The reason I still like the first gen frame is how it moved with you, the K2 got noticeably stiffer side to side and I can definitely tell a difference in side hilling or crossing dead fall in stiffness. Is the new frame stiffer than the K2?

Dooger

FNG
I hope that 3200 is close to 4000 with a floating lid or I may be going with a MR.

The 3500 was about 4200...

Randle

WKR
Thanks for the update , Is the 1800 possibly going to be the new Horn hauler?

OP
wekilldeer

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider

Steve
Thanks for easing my worries. I don't have the cash to be spending $600+ on a pack each year so this is an investment for me. I trust that your 2019 line will impress just as every Exo pack generation has done in the past. I will be first in line for the new 4800 and look forward to a great 2019. Exo has always been honest and up front with me through email and I appreciate that greatly. Thanks again for the update and I wish you well with the new line

Jake

Steve

Boom. Ask and you shall receive. Don;t know him or even own an EXO. But, that is good stuff right there.