New pack hint on the Exo site.

Jreinan01

FNG

Shouldn't be a problem to get you a pack well before August. Production on the 2019 packs is starting right now. The goal is to have a solid amount of inventory in stock ready to ship as soon as we launch, that way there isn't any lag time or backorder situations. Worst case scenario we'll begin shipping July 1. Most likely it will be sooner than that.”

I don’t see an actual release date here. I see that they are building now. A worst case shipping date. But I don’t see a release date, IE a date to order. I guess I’m splitting hairs or I’m truly blind.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Worst date july 1st for shipping / Lauch probably a week or 2 before that. So my educated guess would be middle of may. I really dont have any idea I'm just making an educated guess.

Being that exo has been fairly tight lipped about whats coming out until recently tells me that they are getting ready to release soon.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
so is the 6400 bag going to be bigger in main compartment capacity and additional capacity then the current 5500?

Yall had said the old CI numbers didnt accurately reflect the bags CI capacity and the new CI sizes will be a more accurate rating of the bags capacity.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Shouldn't be a problem to get you a pack well before August. Production on the 2019 packs is starting right now. The goal is to have a solid amount of inventory in stock ready to ship as soon as we launch, that way there isn't any lag time or backorder situations. Worst case scenario we'll begin shipping July 1. Most likely it will be sooner than that.”

I don’t see an actual release date here. I see that they are building now. A worst case shipping date. But I don’t see a release date, IE a date to order. I guess I’m splitting hairs or I’m truly blind.
On their website you can go ahead and get put on their list. Yes, you are splitting hairs. Call them directly for the best response.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I liked my 2015 exo, like my k2 better, and this hype for k3 has me excited.

There are 2 things I like about my seek outside pack better than exo - it doesn’t barrel side to side with loads as much as exo and the bags are almost all xpack and absorb less water. If the new exo is comparable to SO in the barreling department and isn’t a step down from k2 in other areas, it’ll be the ultimate pack for me.

I have not ever used a SO pack, but I have owned and used the other 4 big pack companies and the K2 frame had zero barrel, so i'm shocked to hear you experienced barreling. I actually experienced barrelling with the other 3 companies and the Exo K2 frame was the only one that didn't barrel.

I liked my 2015 exo, like my k2 better, and this hype for k3 has me excited.

There are 2 things I like about my seek outside pack better than exo - it doesn’t barrel side to side with loads as much as exo and the bags are almost all xpack and absorb less water. If the new exo is comparable to SO in the barreling department and isn’t a step down from k2 in other areas, it’ll be the ultimate pack for me.

Can you elaborate further on what you mean by barreling side to side? A K2 frame is pretty much impossible to "barrel" the frame shape and cause discomfort with heavy loads. Do you mean it just moves more side to side (when you lean left and right while wearing the pack) then you would like under heavy loads?

That was a rare complaint of the K2 frame but one I would see pop up from time to time. It was something I wanted to see if I could fix in the new frame but do it without sacrificing performance in other areas. For example not reducing the lateral movement that Sneaky has mentioned, in his opinion, that we lost too much of in the K2 frame.

In the new K3 frame I ended up designing it with a rigid foam structured "wing" that extends out into the foam of the hipbelt on both sides. This does definitely reduce that side to side movement that you aren't liking as well as really reduces any sagging issues for guys who don't have a lumbar curve (i.e. they have no butt). The shoulder harness webbing is also sewn to these wings so they sit wider out on the structure and aid in stability.

As far as X pac goes we have no plans to use that in the packs anytime soon. We used VX-21 Xpac in our original 2014 packs for the inside of the bag. After a year or so of use the waterproof layer really broke down and it was substantially worse than just using Cordura with a PU coating in regards to water getting through. On the heavier weight Xpac options that might not be as much of an issue or an issue at all. To be honest we really haven't revisited X pac since after that experience. It's also, in our opinion it's just too noisy of a fabric for the outside of the main bag, but we understand that's definitely a personal preference for guys. A lot of that depends on where you hunt from a brush and moisture perspective as well as just the features you want in a bag. Exo is a small company so we really focus on keeping things as simple and streamlined as we possibly can. 500d has been an all around outstanding performing fabric for us.

Steve

Can you elaborate further on what you mean by barreling side to side? A K2 frame is pretty much impossible to "barrel" the frame shape and cause discomfort with heavy loads. Do you mean it just moves more side to side (when you lean left and right while wearing the pack) then you would like under heavy loads?

That was a rare complaint of the K2 frame but one I would see pop up from time to time. It was something I wanted to see if I could fix in the new frame but do it without sacrificing performance in other areas. For example not reducing the lateral movement that Sneaky has mentioned, in his opinion, that we lost too much of in the K2 frame.

In the new K3 frame I ended up designing it with a rigid foam structured "wing" that extends out into the foam of the hipbelt on both sides. This does definitely reduce that side to side movement that you aren't liking as well as really reduces any sagging issues for guys who don't have a lumbar curve (i.e. they have no butt). The shoulder harness webbing is also sewn to these wings so they sit wider out on the structure and aid in stability.

As far as X pac goes we have no plans to use that in the packs anytime soon. We used VX-21 Xpac in our original 2014 packs for the inside of the bag. After a year or so of use the waterproof layer really broke down and it was substantially worse than just using Cordura with a PU coating in regards to water getting through. On the heavier weight Xpac options that might not be as much of an issue or an issue at all. To be honest we really haven't revisited X pac since after that experience. It's also, in our opinion it's just too noisy of a fabric for the outside of the main bag, but we understand that's definitely a personal preference for guys. A lot of that depends on where you hunt from a brush and moisture perspective as well as just the features you want in a bag. Exo is a small company so we really focus on keeping things as simple and streamlined as we possibly can. 500d has been an all around outstanding performing fabric for us.

Steve

For the guys that experience pressure points/bruising on the front of their hip bones, does this new frame address anything along those lines?

Steve

Yeah, that's what I meant. Like the load will be solid and leaning up against sufficient resistance to the right but if I lean left the load will shift freely a bit before finding similar resistance in the other direction. I can create a circumstance in my head where it might be a more important factor but can't honestly say it has ever caused a problem. From my experience with Kifaru and just walking around a store with a weighted stone glacier, they exhibit similar "shifting". The SO frame does not but it has a significantly different frame methodology.

My K2 has been the most comfortable of any pack I've tried with a load and I don't find it overly restricting at all (Less than Kifaru, SO, SG). The k3 might be cutting it too close to an August Dall hunt to order this year though!

Last edited:
I have experienced something similar where it feels like the top of the bag pack is rolling around.
It helps to keep all the strapping tight. And tension on the load lifters.
It can be pretty annoying but like I said if you keep everything cinched it helps.
I tend to want to keep everything slightly loose for convenience getting in and out alot. But that's not actually proper load tie down.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have experienced something similar where it feels like the top of the bag pack is rolling around.
It helps to keep all the strapping tight. And tension on the load lifters.
It can be pretty annoying but like I said if you keep everything cinched it helps.
I tend to want to keep everything slightly loose for convenience getting in and out alot. But that's not actually proper load tie down.
Yeah, the first gen frame has the side stabilizing straps that keep the top of the pack from shifting back and forth. That's the main feature I miss on my K2 frame

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The horseshoe zip on the 2k was awesome, should be just as great on the 4800. Thinking maybe I shoulda waited on my new bag. Next year :cool:
From what I understand from my question above the new 4800 is basically the same size as the old 2000 just measured differently. Did I read that right Exo fellas?

Yeah, that's it what I meant. Like the load will be solid and leaning up against sufficient resistance to the right but if I lean left the load will shift freely a bit before finding similar resistance in the other direction. I can create a circumstance in my head where it might be a more important factor but can't honestly say it has ever caused a problem. From my experience with Kifaru and just walking around a store with a weighted stone glacier, they exhibit similar "shifting". The SO frame does not but it has a significantly different frame methodology.

My K2 has been the most comfortable of any pack I've tried with a load and I don't find it overly restricting at all (Less than Kifaru, SO, SG). The k3 might be cutting it too close to an August Dall hunt to order this year though!

Gotcha, yeah that makes sense to me. As long as the straps (especially the load lifters) are snug I haven't ever had an issue but can see where depending on the situation and how the pack is fitted you could experience that.

Good luck on your Dall hunt!

Steve

From what I understand from my question above the new 4800 is basically the same size as the old 2000 just measured differently. Did I read that right Exo fellas?

No, the 4800 measures out at 4800 cubic inches. We just mentioned that it has a horseshoe zipper like the 2000 bag does currently.

Steve

This intrigues me. No offense but this is the only reason the K2 frame wasn't my go to. I just couldn't keep it from sliding.

No offense at all, we build the best pack we can in the simplest package we can but fully realize we aren't going to fit every single body shape out there. The new frame addresses the super skinny and or "no butt" guys who experienced some slippage but I was able to do it without sacrificing the fit and performance for everyone else.

For the guys that experience pressure points/bruising on the front of their hip bones, does this new frame address anything along those lines?

Short answer yes but I would say that complaint is exceptionally rare on the K2 frame currently. If it happens it can usually be attributed to:

1- Having the side hipbelt pouch webbing too tight (puts extra pressure up near the front instead of distributed through the foam, or putting too much weight on that strap like a really heavy pistol
2 - Having to small of a belt to start with so the foam isn't fully wrapping in front of your hip bones
3- Wearing a thick belt or really any belt on your pants that's causing rubbing. Believe it or not I actually take that to the extreme and have certain underwear that I wont' wear while hunting or training with heavy loads. I've noticed the elastic waist band tends to roll over and create a rub spot. Sounds ridiculous buts its true.

Did you experience that with our pack or others you have used in the past?

As far as the K3 being better in this area there are two things in the design that will help. With the new rigid, foam wings that extend into the belt foam they reduce sagging which in turn allows me to not have to get the belt so tight. Its not a dramatic difference but its there and enough I can see for some guys it would definitely reduce pressure across the belt. Secondly the belt is now adjustable, you can change the width of a belt by 2' by adjusting its placement on the wings. This will allow you to dial in the fit, it's a great feature for the guys who have been in between belt sizes.

Steve

Steve
Did you mean adjust the width of the belt by 2”? Can’t wait to see the k3 frame!

Have to agree with earlier posters. If the new material has any ductility, it will bend under load. If not, it’s brittle and you’re taking a major risk on your hunt.

I’d wait and see myself.

All these risks add up to an 8 oz loss? I can lose 8 oz off my ass before I pay for it and take the risk.

Carried Kifaru rucks all over the place. Never had an issue of any kind.

Tsarbomba

Lil-Rokslider
Someone mentioned it before that they got an dmail saying their on order 5500 could possibly come with new k3 frame. Can anyone verify this?