New Pack

drtony

WKR
Full disclosure: I know I cannot go wrong with either!!! But personally speaking, the research/chase is half the fun! I'm trying to stay away from the "Chevy/Ford" debate or the "personal preference on how it fits your body".

I am looking to purchase a MR 3DAP or a kifaru x-ray for general use (edc, day pack camping/hunting, etc). They are both 30L which is right about where I want to be. I have a kifaru 44 mag for longer/heavier loads. I also have a GR2 34L for when I want less conspicuous.

My biggest question between the 2 is how much more durable would the kifaru be (1000D cordura vs the coated 500D cordura on the MR)? I am not gentle on my stuff (but not careless either). If the difference is null the shape charge also comes into consideration.

Aesthetically I like both, but the MR 3DAP seems more functional... Maybe? There aren't a lot of x-ray reviews on YouTube but a lot on the MR.

Last edited:

RBHunter

WKR
I was having the same debate a few months ago. With that exact MR pack too. I own a 26" kifaru frame and 7k muskeg. (And now a Stryker too) but was looking for a more day use pack for general use. I was debating a few other brands but decided to go with a 14'r (also more money than I wanted to spend) mainly because all my accessories would work seamlessly. Pockets, sherman pocket, belt pouch and gun bearer if I was to run any of that. Only thing extra I bought was the top strap for the gun bearer because it can be a pain to take off.

I won neither one. Bt, I do own 1000 and 500 cordura packs. I simply see no advantage to 1000 cordura for packs that aren't being rucked and threw around abusively. For hunting packs, I just see no advantage so, I wouldn't do it.

OP
D

drtony

WKR
I was having the same debate a few months ago. With that exact MR pack too. I own a 26" kifaru frame and 7k muskeg. (And now a Stryker too) but was looking for a more day use pack for general use. I was debating a few other brands but decided to go with a 14'r (also more money than I wanted to spend) mainly because all my accessories would work seamlessly. Pockets, sherman pocket, belt pouch and gun bearer if I was to run any of that. Only thing extra I bought was the top strap for the gun bearer because it can be a pain to take off.

How do you like the 14r? I really like that pack, it just seems like a bit much for EDC or carrying to the office.

OP
D

drtony

WKR
I won neither one. Bt, I do own 1000 and 500 cordura packs. I simply see no advantage to 1000 cordura for packs that aren't being rucked and threw around abusively. For hunting packs, I just see no advantage so, I wouldn't do it.

500 cordura will take the abuse of walking through the thick brush? It won't snag or tear/rip easier than 1000D?

I have no plans to throw things around and abuse them, I take care of my things. That said sometimes they will get used hard!

RBHunter

WKR
I dont work in a office. But I really like it. And am super happy. Mainly been using it for cat hunting. Carrying some basics. And some usual hike stuff. Anything that isnt big game hunting. Hauled a bobber out on it though and that worked fine.

I'm sure it will tear easier. I'm just not sure tearing it walking through brush is something that is going to happen.

My point earlier was if you are in the military or, use a pack 100 days a year in some rough rock and such, I don't see the advantage of 1000D over 500. However, I would in no way base my choice on whether it was 1000 or 500 cordura

FWIW, I'd buy a Kifaru based on pure principal and how well they fit and have done for me.

OP
D

drtony

WKR
I'm sure it will tear easier. I'm just not sure tearing it walking through brush is something that is going to happen.

My point earlier was if you are in the military or, use a pack 100 days a year in some rough rock and such, I don't see the advantage of 1000D over 500. However, I would in no way base my choice on whether it was 1000 or 500 cordura

FWIW, I'd buy a Kifaru based on pure principal and how well they fit and have done for me.

I really like kifaru! Took my 44 mag on a snow shoeing trip in the superior national forest. Somehow I got it to hold everything I needed for 2 nights of cowboy camping. My western mountaineering Kodiak with overfill took up almost the whole main compartment. A cold front came through the day I got there (took the low from 10F above zero to -20F the night I got there)! Ill.never buy another sleeping bag brand again haha-- literally kept me alive as we couldn't get a fire going in that deep cold

OP
D

drtony

WKR

I like kifaru a bunch! Not sure what drew my attention to the MR. For the 500D option I really like the shape charge, but the x-ray also pulls the heart strings. I just wish I could see one before buying it-- and waiting so long to get it.

LionHead

WKR
To answer the OP question I've had both at one point and I much prefer the mystery ranch Futura harness on day packs, it just rides nice and prefer the shoulder straps. Still have a linchpin it's my perfect EDC/ lite hiker bag

Also I think the trip zip is better access than the panel zips of the xray, it gets better on the Xing but the top lid can be tight with bulky items on both kifaru's

Now a 44mag style bag on a Omni suspension 22" stays would sway my opinion quickly

My biggest question between the 2 is how much more durable would the kifaru be (1000D cordura vs the coated 500D cordura on the MR)? I am not gentle on my stuff (but not careless either). If the difference is null the shape charge also comes into consideration.

Aesthetically I like both, but the MR 3DAP seems more functional... Maybe? There aren't a lot of x-ray reviews on YouTube but a lot on the MR.

No issues with 500d and I beat the snot outta my gear, just ask @William Hanson (live2hunt) about my mega tarp he just repaired lol

The only difference to me is 500d looks used after 5 years, 1000d still looks new but neither was treated gently