New pack?

I debated not posting this because the answer, even when I’m doing the answering, is almost always yes, buy the newest...

My Yukon sheep hunt looks pretty bleak right now due to Covid. I bought an internal frame Kifaru because the outfitter specified “no external frames” for a horseback hunt. I don’t currently own a good external frame pack and I’m trying to work a deal on a cancellation backpack hunt.

The question, how much better are today’s packs over my Kifaru Timberline internal? Will I realistically see a difference? I know I’ll be adding a meat shelf for the chance I’m coming out heavy, but will a new pack be noticeably better for the everyday up and downs carrying my camp? At 63 yrs old I need all the help I can get but don’t want to spend the cash if it’s not going to pay off for me in performance.
Thanks, all.

Kotaman

WKR
To be honest...NO. The integrated T1 is one of my favorite packs of all time from Kifaru and I've owned every version of their duplex frame since. A new Kifaru on a new duplex frame will get you a little less "barreling" under super heavy loads and thicker shoulder straps and that's about it IMO. If you want a new Kifaru, knock yourself out, but your T1 will still do just fine. As an "fyi" I really don't consider the Duplex frame and "external" frame. When I think of an "external" frame I think of a metal frame outside the pack. I look at the original T1 as having an "integrated" frame and the the duplex, while separate still being an "internal" frame.

OP
Ariettabob
Wow, great reply. Thanks for taking the time for me. It’s much appreciated. I really do like the T1 but I wasn’t sure what I was missing. I have no burning desire for a new pack so you just saved me some money.
Now, what to spend that saved money on? Lol 😂

To be honest...NO. The integrated T1 is one of my favorite packs of all time from Kifaru and I've owned every version of their duplex frame since. A new Kifaru on a new duplex frame will get you a little less "barreling" under super heavy loads and thicker shoulder straps and that's about it IMO. If you want a new Kifaru, knock yourself out, but your T1 will still do just fine. As an "fyi" I really don't consider the Duplex frame and "external" frame. When I think of an "external" frame I think of a metal frame outside the pack. I look at the original T1 as having an "integrated" frame and the the duplex, while separate still being an "internal" frame.

Kotaman, do you use a meatshelf or stuff meat directly into the bag? I do the latter, but am curious what you have to say based off of your experience(s).

Wapiti1

WKR
I agree with Kotaman's take on it. That is a good all around pack. I don't remember how big they were, though. I do remember it being on the large side like 5000 ci.

What hunt are you looking at and does the T1 have enough volume for that hunt? That would be my only concern.
Take a contractor grade trash bag as a liner, and put the meat in the bag. The load shelf puts it too far out if you have anything in the bag.

Jeremy

Kotaman

WKR
I agree with Kotaman's take on it. That is a good all around pack. I don't remember how big they were, though. I do remember it being on the large side like 5000 ci.

What hunt are you looking at and does the T1 have enough volume for that hunt? That would be my only concern.
Take a contractor grade trash bag as a liner, and put the meat in the bag. The load shelf puts it too far out if you have anything in the bag.

Jeremy

T2 was pushing 5000 ci. T1 was over 7000 with the snow collar and lid, so size shouldn’t be an issue.

Snyd

WKR
Save your money, fill it full of rocks and get in sheep shape!! No need for a meat shelf. Tag Bag B.O.M.B. bags, or similar and a couple trash compactor bags. ...this from a "soon to be 60" year old. I've packed a dozen rams this way.

OP
Ariettabob
Save your money, fill it full of rocks and get in sheep shape!! No need for a meat shelf. Tag Bag B.O.M.B. bags, or similar and a couple trash compactor bags. ...this from a "soon to be 60" year old. I've packed a dozen rams this way.
Got it. Actually it’s had water and hardwood stove pellets in it for a year now, helping me to get in shape. I’ve logged just over 200 miles of training hikes alone with it so far

T2 was pushing 5000 ci. T1 was over 7000 with the snow collar and lid, so size shouldn’t be an issue.

Jeremy
I didn’t know it held 7000ci but I knew it was big. I’m happy now that I didn’t cut the collar extension out, essentially turning it into a T2. Hopefully that extension comes into play coming off the mountain.

Thanks for all the replies guys. It’s much appreciated and since I had no real desire to spend that money, it gives me 1 less thing to fret over going into this.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Seems like you already have a perfectly good pack, if you want a different one, go for it but I wouldn’t expect it to make a big difference.

OP
Ariettabob
Seems like you already have a perfectly good pack, if you want a different one, go for it but I wouldn’t expect it to make a big difference.
Thanks. That’s the feedback I’ve been getting. I really don’t want a new pack but not owning a new one, for me it fell under I didn’t know what I didn’t know. Just trying to cover all my bases. The T1 has served me well for both local trips and training so the T1 is going on my hunt with me. The feedback has really been helpful

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks. That’s the feedback I’ve been getting. I really don’t want a new pack but not owning a new one, for me it fell under I didn’t know what I didn’t know. Just trying to cover all my bases. The T1 has served me well for both local trips and training so the T1 is going on my hunt with me. The feedback has really been helpful

backpacks are strange things here on rokslide, so many guys seem to get a new pack or even 2 each year like there’s some new groundbreaking technology that makes other packs obsolete (there isn’t). I’ve used a kifaru fulcrum and a stone glacier pack since 2017, havnt felt the need to upgrade either one of them. i just have to wonder who is using their gear and who is a collector when you see so much kifaru stuff on the classified adds here, I’ve probably put 90 days of use on my kifaru pack and it’s no worse for the wear, I simply can’t get my mind into a low enough gear to replace it just because kifaru came out with a new bag.

I say use your pack until you find something you can’t live with about it or it breaks or you just flat out come across a great deal on another pack you really want. You’ll be using your pack while other guys are selling their gently used packs for the Newer model.

OP
Ariettabob
backpacks are strange things here on rokslide, so many guys seem to get a new pack or even 2 each year like there’s some new groundbreaking technology that makes other packs obsolete (there isn’t). I’ve used a kifaru fulcrum and a stone glacier pack since 2017, havnt felt the need to upgrade either one of them. i just have to wonder who is using their gear and who is a collector when you see so much kifaru stuff on the classified adds here, I’ve probably put 90 days of use on my kifaru pack and it’s no worse for the wear, I simply can’t get my mind into a low enough gear to replace it just because kifaru came out with a new bag.

I say use your pack until you find something you can’t live with about it or it breaks or you just flat out come across a great deal on another pack you really want. You’ll be using your pack while other guys are selling their gently used packs for the Newer model.

RS is well known for freely spending other people’s money. I expected more of the same when I posted my question. That not one reply was “but the latest and greatest” speaks volumes to me about my pack choice. I couldn’t be happier. I’ll spend more money before this coming sheep hunt and others, but now it won’t be on a pack.

KineKilla

WKR
Not to thread hijack but pardon my curiosity,

When using an internal frame pack and putting the meat in the pack as suggested and shown above....

What do you all do with all the stuff that was already inside the pack to make room for the meat?

Thanks, trying to learn by asking questions and it seems like some of you have encountered this.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
Most of it all a just stuffed in exterior pockets and the lid. I also carry a bag that can be lashed to the outside of the pack if needed. Everything else goes in the bag on top of the meat. If I’m carrying a sleeping bag, that is in the bottom of the bag in a waterproof stuff sack. My picture above is all my gear for a week, half a sheep, and the horns.