New pack

2ski

WKR
I'm looking to replace my backpack for hunting, and was originally thinking day pack, but then was thinking maybe a little bigger that could haul out an elk quarter. Now I'm kind of considering something that I could compress down to day pack size, but is big enough to do some backpacking during the summer. I don't overnight when I'm hunting so thats not really a consideration.

So as I went through this process, I started out thinking the Badlands Hybrid. Then I started looking at the 2200 and the 2800. The 2800 was more comfortable. I liked somethings about Eberlestock, but when I tried one on, I didn't realize the torso was adjustable. When I tried one on yesterday, I noticed that you could adjust it and thus way more comfortable. However, the hunting manager grabbed two 25lb bags of shot and put them in for me to see how it felt with weight, and those thinner straps or shooter straps or whatever they call them dug in a little and I could see them turning a bit uncomfortable over time. Then I looked at the Tenzing 5000, would like to try on the 6000 since they are made for a little longer torso. I've now been looking at videos/reveiws of Kuiu and Kifaru this whole weekend as well. I think Kifaru seems outside my pricerange, but I like to be a little more organized than it seems you can with a Kuiu. I am really leaning towords the Tenzing, but wanted to get a little more imput/suggestions. Also, any updates from the people that did buy a Tenzing? The season is right around the corner, so I imagine people are starting to ramp up their conditioning and giving them a little more use.

I guess one last question...I just bought one of the Badlands bino cases. Was looking at either Badlands or Sitka, but found a place in Bozeman that still had last years pricing on the Badlands for $70, so I scooped it up since everyone else is selling them for $130, and the Sitka is around that price as well. My question is how comfortable is that hydration pouch tucked up in its compartment when you're wearing it under a backpack with a load in it? That's my one concern I have about that bino case. I would't be adverse to cutting it out if its going to be uncomfortable, but it would be handy in the summer if I didn't have to. Either way, I'll find out myself, but it would be nice to know what to expect.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Spend the extra cash and get the Kifaru. Kuiu is still going through some changes in their pack design and has a bit of work to do yet. Tenzing is relatively new, even though IMO they look to be a reworked Black's Creek offering. I haven't worn one yet, so I can't comment beyond their looks.

KMT

WKR
I have had my badlands 2800 for 5 seasons, and it has been indestructible. I have packed out 7-8 elk with it. The good: tough, compresses down to a reasonable size for day hunting, it can carry 1/2 of a boned out elk if you put the meat in a compression sack and wrap the bat wings around it (you need to buy extra straps at your local store). The bad: anything more than 50 pounds will move side to side and hang down like a bowling ball, several pockets are nice, but they are small and you may need to keep your extra jackets "outside" of the pockets. I replacing the 2800 with a kifaru DT3 this year.

OP

2ski

WKR
I didn't even consider MR in the whole thing because a few years ago when I looked for a new ski pack, they were way more than I wanted to spend. Same goes here. Looking at them, they look nice, but like the Kifaru, out of my budget. I already spent more than I planned to on optics this year, so I'd like to not spend upwards of $700 on a pack. Maybe in the future, but for now....maybe I'll give Tenzing a try. I can always sell it a few years from now and go Kifaru, right?

If the Tenzing is very similar to the Blacks Creek, what is the opinion on that meat compartment that unzips next to the back? Does it work well? Will it hold a quarter, or is that too thick? It didn't look to expand out a ton.

swat8888

WKR
If you keep a sharp eye out google searching Craigslist you can find MR packs, and less so in my experience Kifaru at well below retail prices. just another option for a guy on a budget I picked up an excellent condition MR pack for half the retail price on Craigslist.

mtmiller

WKR
I didn't even consider MR in the whole thing because a few years ago when I looked for a new ski pack, they were way more than I wanted to spend. Same goes here. I already spent more than I planned to on optics this year, so I'd like to not spend upwards of $700 on a pack.

New MR CC is under $500. Better deals can be found used.

15.jpg

Longbow is even cheaper and I have hauled out a boned out deer and day gear in a single trip.

"My question is how comfortable is that hydration pouch tucked up in its compartment when you're wearing it under a backpack with a load in it?"

I have never used mine, ever.. I just pretend it isn't there and it doesn't interfere with the backpack enough to make a difference or for it to be uncomfortable.

On another note... when those things came out, they were like 40$! Now they are 130$.. Nuts!!! Glad I got mine for cheap, wow, can't say I'd have bought it for 70-130. It is a nice little piece of gear though, but if the Kirafu or KUIU or MR were not in your price range, I would have said to heck with the bino case and got the pack :)

Check all the classifieds for packs, you will find a great deal sooner or later. Just keep checking on MM, here on Rokslide, Bowsite, and any other site with classifieds.

Best of luck!

The tenzing packs are very nice and have some nice features. The TZ6000 is only 2" longer. Cam Hanes uses the tz6000 and he is about 5'8". Both very nice packs though.

KWest141

FNG
I will be giving the the Tenzing packs a try. You can pick up the Tenzing 6000 on Amazon for 290 shipped. I cant pass up that deal. I just cant justify dropping the cash for a Kifaru seeing how i will only be using it a couple times a year since i live in Texas. I wont neeed it till next July though soo i got plenty of time to decide. Hopefully we will know the full story on the tenzings after a few get them loaded up with elk on the mountain this season.

OP

2ski

WKR
I'll maybe go down to Mystery Ranch after I get off work tomorrow. I guess I'm a little confused by their website with the price ranges they show. I assume its more to buy the pack initially as they use the same frame, but you have to buy it initially and then after that if you buy any of the other ones its way cheaper since you already have the frame? I'm all about supporting the local businesses if I can...I bought a pair of Kenetreks a few years ago. Golfed with the owner two years ago during league at one of the local golf courses. Nice guy.

Another question...so the Tenzing 6000 is similar to the Blacks Creek Canadian...what happened to the Canadian? I go to their website and all they have is more expensive packs than what it sounds like Blacks Creek used to be. Is that because they decided to bring production to the US instead of abroad?

Hey, Mtmiller, where is that picture from? Looks kind of like the creek coming down out of Bee Hive Basin outside of Big Sky. I've only been up there when there was still alot of snow, but it looks kind of similar.

I'm kind of leaning towards getting the Tenzing and then selling it in a year or two and buying the Kifaru....you guys really have me sold on those. I'm almost trying to decide if its worth going a little further on the credit card.

Look, the MR/kifaru offerings are no doubt WAY better than the badlands/eberle/tenzig/blacks creek.....but DO NOT spend more than you can. I understand as much as anyone the need to get the best gear that you can afford. But when times are tough and money is tight DO NOT spend more than you feel comfortable. I know that people say "its an investment" and "divide it by the number of years you will use it..." BUT, the packs in the 200 dollar range will work well, and like you said, you can sell it and upgrade when you are ready.

Last year I switched from Badlands 2200 to the MR longbow and this year from the MR to the Kifaru DT3. It is a big difference, but it is over 500 bucks more to get the kifaru vs the 2200. I am happy with mine, but I worked into it by selling old ones and upgrading.

you cannot go wrong with the badlands 2200/2800 if you are on a budget..... or as countless others have mentioned, look at 24hour/here/archerytalk/bowsite classifieds for a used one.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you go badlands, avoid the 2800. I broke mine 3 times on the bat wings. My buddy had the same . They will fix it, but do you really want to be sermons in your pack mid season like i had to?

A good pack is a lot like good optics. Do you want to find yourself "upgrading" or replacing every 2-3 years or would you rather buy once and have it/them last a lifetime. That is the rational I use to base most of my purchases off of, prior to falling into the trap of doing what a lot of people do which is buying marginal equipment every year or every other year... All those costs add up.

I am no expert, but if you buy ONE very nice, high end pack now, you will save yourself many more purchases over the next 10 years...

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can work your way up to a good pack, which to some degree makes sense. I saved 2 years worth of birthday money, and sold off some other gear to get into my Kifaru. Now that I have the Duplex frame coming by a used bag is fairly easy.

I have owned now:
Badlands 2800-Paid $175.00
Black's Creek Mossback Bounty Hunter-$250.00(I way overpaid)
Kelty Frame Pack- $100.00(bought a long time ago, cant remember the model)
Wal Mart Cheapo Pack- $35.00
Coleman Pack- $70.00

Over the course of time that is $630.00 on a bunch of packs. 2 of which I thought were good quality.

A new Longhunter Guide is $591.00 brand new. I bought my guide bag used and was able to drop that price considerably. I also bought my MR Top Lid used and saved money there.

However, I am an advocate for only buying what yo can pay cash for.....

cmeier117

WKR
If you need a pack this year and cannot afford a Kifaru I would not spend the $400 of a tenzing. I would get a Eberlestock Destroyer. I used it last year and can't say too many bad things about it. I also have a Timberline 2 from Kifaru, so I know what a good pack should feel like. You can get a new one for $350 from Steve Speck over at S&S archery. Eberlestock is better quality that badlands and Tenzing is still new so who knows. Good luck on your decision. If you need more info on the Destroyer PM me.

Rizzy

WKR
I would say either go budget or go quality. If you go budget get a low end pack that will get you through the season (badlands or REI). Then upgrade next year to something better. Any extra money you spend on a mediocre pack this year cuts into next years budget. I used a 2200 for 6 years before I had any problems with it. I carried plenty of meat with it, but its a day pack and best used in that manner. The 2800 is a better size and can be found used for cheap or on new on camofire. Kifaru is the best, but it may be too late to get one for this season.