New Pack?!?!

JP100

WKR
Well I have just returned from my last big hunt for the year(week long Tahr hunt) and have had a rather catastrophic pack failure just as I was leaving. Luckily some duct tape kept things going for the trip but I am ready to upgrade I think.

What are peoples opinions?

I am looking at

Kifaru 24" frame with Argali bag+ some pockets and guide lid

Stone glacier Sky 7400

Maybe a Exo bag?? I have never seen one in person and maybe a Mystery ranch?

I am leaning toward the Kifaru as I tried one on last year and the waist belt in particular was the best I have tried. I tried on a bikini I think is there any difference between this and the new designs?

I like Stone glacier and have tried a couple on but I dont like the center zipper.

I am 5'10" and about 150-160 lbs will be using pack for every thing from day hunts to 10+ day guided trips so needs to be 100L/6000 CI at least.

I prefer the simple bag with one opening at the top and maybe only one/2 pockets for small gear. This is so I can run all my gear in side a large pack liner in an attempt to keep dry.

Pros/cons from the people in the know

Thanks alot

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok curiosity has killed this cat....what pack failed on you?

I just picked up a 26" Kifaru frame on Black Friday and bought a Mtn. Rambler bag out of the classifieds here. I am planning on buying a few more used bags to decide what I like best and I'll sell the others. Good luck finding a setup that works well for you. I'm looking forward to hearing the input as well.

dotman

WKR
Ok curiosity has killed this cat....what pack failed on you?

I just picked up a 26" Kifaru frame on Black Friday and bought a Mtn. Rambler bag out of the classifieds here. I am planning on buying a few more used bags to decide what I like best and I'll sell the others. Good luck finding a setup that works well for you. I'm looking forward to hearing the input as well.

X2... good detail left out.

That said, Kifaru. The new Duplex frame is better then the bikini, I run the UL without issue but great thing is, stays are cheap, might be worth getting the hunter with a few sets of arrow stays since they are cheap and being your in NZ shipping wouldn't be worth it for seeing what you like.

RAHC

FNG
What about an Outdoorsmans? How come you dont hear much about them on this forum. Solid packs, affordable price (compared to everything else) and it appears to be able to handle heavy loads.

dotman

WKR
What about an Outdoorsmans? How come you dont hear much about them on this forum. Solid packs, affordable price (compared to everything else) and it appears to be able to handle heavy loads.

Do you have one? Heavy is my first thought. I've never had one but to me they compare to eberlestock which is why you don't hear much about them here. Most here have the next level pack, if Outdoorsmans pack was there it would be known as this website is a gear nuts place.

RAHC

FNG
For me an Eberlestock or an Outdoorsmans would be a step up from my system now. Although most guys I know with next level stuff haven't hauled half of what my stuff has. I guess its all about making it work. A lot of people get caught up in the gear game, although gear now is better than it ever has been a person shouldn't extend themselves financially. Back in the day Burris glass was "it" and guys did very good. Buy within your means and hunt often, would be my new pack advise.

rfc86

FNG
I was in a similar situation. I ordered an EXO K2 2000 and a Kifaur Tahr with a 24" frame (Hunting Platform). I put about 40lbs in each one and went for a hike. I found the Kifaru more comfortable due to the bigger lumbar pad and belt. It was pretty darn close. The EXO was very nice but I sent it back, customer service was great. I don't think you can go wrong with either platform.

I've have the tahr in a 24 it is a awesome pack. I have pockets on it . I packed out 4 deboned back legs back straps and deboned front legs on my last tahr hunt plus head and and full cape. Carried the weight like a dream

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's packs down great as a day pack especially if you in tight nz bush

dotman

WKR
For me an Eberlestock or an Outdoorsmans would be a step up from my system now. Although most guys I know with next level stuff haven't hauled half of what my stuff has. I guess its all about making it work. A lot of people get caught up in the gear game, although gear now is better than it ever has been a person shouldn't extend themselves financially. Back in the day Burris glass was "it" and guys did very good. Buy within your means and hunt often, would be my new pack advise.

Yup definitely buy within your means but you can get a better used pack for the price of an eberlestock or outdoorsmans. I did the stepping stone progression to Kifaru, would of been cheaper to just save for a Kifaru. Now the op seems to have the means to afford a highend pack or his list wouldn't just be highend packs, to bring in lessor packs just isn't what the op is looking at.

If needed a guy can just sling quarters over a shoulder and use a cheap pack, that will get the job done but comfort and weight are what you pay for.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
If people have seen my previous posts/stories I have been running a Kuiu Ultra 6000 since they came out pretty much. I have had a very good run with this pack and love the bag system. The shoulder straps have failed and I will do another post on this so people can see.

I am not the 'average' hunter. I spend more days wearing my pack than not. Last 2 years have been flat out guiding here in NZ and BC both as a hunting guide/glacier guide and recreational hunter. So I am after a more 'permanent' solution.

Im not really a fan of buying six different packs and sending them back as shipping to NZ is not cheap.

dotman

WKR
If people have seen my previous posts/stories I have been running a Kuiu Ultra 6000 since they came out pretty much. I have had a very good run with this pack and love the bag system. The shoulder straps have failed and I will do another post on this so people can see.

I am not the 'average' hunter. I spend more days wearing my pack than not. Last 2 years have been flat out guiding here in NZ and BC both as a hunting guide/glacier guide and recreational hunter. So I am after a more 'permanent' solution.

Im not really a fan of buying six different packs and sending them back as shipping to NZ is not cheap.

You did well, I had an ultra bag and could tell from the material it was a limited time pack but a good value. For as much as you get out, a Kifaru is worth the investment, if it ever fails it'll be replace by Kifaru but doubt you get it to fail.

Do your body a favour and save for a kifaru I though my last pack was good until I put my kifaru on OMG life changing

dotman

WKR
Oh yeah, my recommendation if you liked the Kuiu layout, get the mountain warrior and 2 spotter pockets plus a guide lid and a med belt pocket.

This will be closer to an icon pro 7200, without the spotter pockets it is closer to the ultra 6k. I prefer the bigger back pocket of the mountain warrior (80mm spotter will fit the back pocket on the mountain warrior, wouldn't fit in my ultra) over both the Amr and timberline. Plus you'll like the horse shoe zipper of the mountain warrior.

Last edited:
c9460601e4e9bd4304c31d0bbadd9735.jpg

I have since added the gun bearer. The nice thing about kifaru is if you buy the hunting frame you can interchange bags if you want. I use the tahr for 3 day hunt. But if I'm going for 7 to 10 I would go for the argali it will handle all your gear and meat. And the service at kifaru is out standing