New Pack?!?!

I was also impressed with the amount of gear and meat you can suffer into the tahr first pic is stuffed full with gear and meat and cape second I'd just a day hunt so it's compressed really small

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RAHC

FNG
You guys are selling me on Kifaru. What set up would you recommend for backcountry mule deer (frank church) is where I hunt. I have an old external style that's heavy as shit and gets even heavier on the way out. But it has packed a ton of weight. Any insight would be helpful.

The video I uploaded is the pack loaded with 58kg had to walk out 12km and I went to work the next day would never of been able do to that with another pack

dotman

WKR
You guys are selling me on Kifaru. What set up would you recommend for backcountry mule deer (frank church) is where I hunt. I have an old external style that's heavy as shit and gets even heavier on the way out. But it has packed a ton of weight. Any insight would be helpful.

It just depends on what you like, there is an option for every budget. The Argali, mahkor and tahr are currently in the rhino den for a good discount, add a Duplex hunting frame and your set unless you want some accessories. If you want different layouts you can double your price in a bag pretty easy. The timberline bags are a classic hard to beat option for most but I prefer the mountain warrior design.

I would go with the kifaru duplex hunting frame if you want a meat shelf the tahr has got one if you don't want a meat shelf. Look at one of the other bags like the Emr or marhkor . How long is your hunt for usually

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
If you're done hunting for the year, I'd wait to see what the pack companies offer for next year. Looks like Stone Glacier has something new coming out very soon.

RAHC

FNG
I guess I could buy the bag now and frame later? I've never really considered them but the Rhino Den stuff looks great. I'll hunt all season for all species spring bear included so I need something that can "do it all".

a_staud13

FNG
I have the j34 just one from eberlestock and absolutely love it. You can by add ons that make the CI push 9,000 and it collapses down to around 2,500 thousand I believe. Extremely comfortable and great for hauling meat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you packing weight go for a kifaru. Most packs feel great at 50 pounds but in my opinion only the kifaru feels just as great at 100 pounds where the others are not as comfy. Buy a kifaru and say good buy to sore shoulder and a sore back

KurtR

WKR
I have the j34 just one from eberlestock and absolutely love it. You can by add ons that make the CI push 9,000 and it collapses down to around 2,500 thousand I believe. Extremely comfortable and great for hauling meat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had the same pack this year. After my trip to Idaho it is sold and kifaru will be bought. The j34 is good for 40 pounds much more your shoulders get killed. I hauled 70 with it and it was torture.

I just wish I opened my eyes and bought my kifaru sooner would of saved me so much cash and pain

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about an Outdoorsmans? How come you dont hear much about them on this forum. Solid packs, affordable price (compared to everything else) and it appears to be able to handle heavy loads.

Remi Warren (Solo Hunter) used to use Outdoorsman's packs, he's rocking a Kifaru now. In my opinion, I don't believe that was solely based on sponsorships.

I am used to my Barney's (the exo frame weight hauling king) pack and trying out a Kifaru. It was primarily based on my use of a buddies Kuiu pack honestly. It was bloody comfortable and moved with my body, granted I was not hauling more than 25-30 lbs. We'll see, I'm excited to try it out.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Remi Warren (Solo Hunter) used to use Outdoorsman's packs, he's rocking a Kifaru now. In my opinion, I don't believe that was solely based on sponsorships.

I am used to my Barney's (the exo frame weight hauling king) pack and trying out a Kifaru. It was primarily based on my use of a buddies Kuiu pack honestly. It was bloody comfortable and moved with my body, granted I was not hauling more than 25-30 lbs. We'll see, I'm excited to try it out.

The Barney is king for carrying heavy shit. Ive tried a few on and love them but id die trying to get through the bush here with one.

How long have you had a Kifaru?

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Barney is king for carrying heavy shit. Ive tried a few on and love them but id die trying to get through the bush here with one.

How long have you had a Kifaru?

Should be here shortly, don't even have it yet haha. I'm pretty excited to use it though...

The waist belt doesn't work for hips and the lack of bag selection prompter the exploration to a new pack. It really does haul 100+ well though.

Dinger

WKR
Hang on...you mean to say your a Kiwi who doesn't use a Macpac bag?? ;)

I thought it was kind of a given. I just got back from a Thar hunt with 6 Kiwi chaps, whilst there was a lot of interest in my fancy hunting pack (Kifaru Highcamp + Bikini) I got the distinct impression they thought it somewhat odd and nowhere near as good as their beloved Macpac offerings.

dotman

WKR
I guess I could buy the bag now and frame later? I've never really considered them but the Rhino Den stuff looks great. I'll hunt all season for all species spring bear included so I need something that can "do it all".

Yup you can, great thing about Kifaru, you can buy it all slowly over time as you have funds. No requirement to but all at once.

sounds like you need a duplex with a emrII with the wide variety of recreation you are doing , it will do everything. i have a mountain warrior and love it, but i would trade for a emrII if given the chance...

Don't discount the AMR as a "do it all" Bag. Cinches down nicely for day trips just leaving the large back pockets exposed. Opened up it can swallow anything you're man enough to carry. The pals on the sides give options for pockets should you need more external storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAHC

FNG
This is great info guys. This is why I wanted to join this forum. I really want to start shooting that upper level mule deer, I purchased "the book" and have purchased others throughout the years as well. I know the area I hunt very well and I know it's trophy potential, but I think I need to probably up my gear level to make some of my extended hunts more comfortable. I have shot some good deer but I want to shoot great ones and I have come to realize that sometimes your gear can add to your hunt. Where I live there is plenty of non-motorized and roadless area it is just up to the individual to be successful.