New Poster, First Timer, Just looking for some perspective

Doc7

FNG
Hey all,

Thanks for having me here.

I plan on hunting public land antelope in WY in Fall 2020 and am reasonably confident in getting a tag in an area that has approx "2 miles from the road" amount of public access, not much more.

As a whitetail hunter who's really only been hunting a few years, my gear list for a hunt like this is getting rather extensive and expensive. In particular, because I am a buy-once-cry-once kind of guy.

I am looking for you to help convince myself that on my first ever antelope hunt it is ok if we hunt from the truck each day, possibly bringing along a Ozark (walmart) tent for nights with a low wind forecast but not sweating it if we don't use it much. I don't want to drop $400 on a tent when I would rather drop $1000 on a SeekOutside Redcliff or 6-man Tipi, but I feel like that with my gear costs already getting expensive I can spend the $1,000 maybe a year later when I realize I loved Wyoming Fall 2020 and will be going back as often as I can in order to go after elk/mule deer/ antelope. I think with the size of the public land areas where we are going to try to get tags in the draw (with 3-4 people and applying for 30-100% doe-fawn draw odds in units that are not public limited, at least one will draw a tag, and I'm going with that one even if I do not draw) it won't be a super hindrance to "truck camp" plus it will let us learn more areas faster by utilizing the truck to get to different public land access points within the 1-2 units we draw tags in.

Like I said I do already own a cheap-ish tent that I've camped in and I would probably like to set it up outside the truck and camp under the stars if the weather cooperated but I would understand it's limitations. Plus it weighs 20-30 lbs so certainly not hiking anywhere with it.

It is really unlikely I'll get together $2K in the next 10 months and these are the items I think I already want to add to my gear (looking at the amazon wish list i've put together)

WY ONX hunt chip
Vortex 10x42 Binoculars
First Lite puffy jacket, FL Klamath hoody, and Vapor Stormlight Rain jacket (I already have first lite 2 x base layers pants and shirts, socks, and Sitka pants with kneepads)
MSR Pocket Rocket 2 stove
TOAKS titanium 650 pot
Thermarest Prolite Apex Sleeping Pad
Outdoor Vitals Summit 20F Ultralight Backpacking Mummy Down Sleeping bag

That right there is $1300 and when I throw in a few other incidentals like a shooting stick/binocular rest setup, binoc harness, bags of Mountain House, fuel, leather gloves and such like that (not to mention if I get lucky on the random and draw a buck tag in addition to or instead of a doe tag) I think it might be a good idea to stop there and wait another year on the Seekoutside tent.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I might suggest skipping the high end tent and clothes at a minimum. I used a Eureka family tent (parked the truck upwind if wind real bad) and relatively low end sleeping bag, GI sleeping mat, and spare blanket for years. Clothing has always been jeans and nothing high end—mostly from Walmart, Sears, Costco, etc., sometimes Cabelas when I could splurge. My GI Goretex (1993 issue) still works.

Good glass, a decent rifle with bipod, and practice to 300-400 yards are probably more important than all the other stuff. OnX seems like a good tool to minimize potential legal issues.

If you’re getting into high end, long term back country western style hunting as discussed around here, go for the high end gear if you want. Gear acquisition is addictive for sure. If you’re just dipping your toe, start with what you have and go have a good time.

Good luck. Antelope are a blast.

WCB

WKR
bi pod on the gun is a good addition. I would also recommend a tripod for glassing with binos and you can also use it to shoot off of. I have found a bipod works sometimes and the rest of the time the grass or something is in the way and I need to be higher. Do a little research and you will save money. I can not believe how much some guys spend on tripods for spotting. I spent $100 and have had zero issues spotting with binos and a spotting scope and shooting off of it. Same with bipods.

The pocket rocket is a nice thing just to have if you want to make coffe quick However if you are truck camping bring a decent grill (I use a Camp Chef Teton) inexpensive and going on 4 season no issues.

Again truck camping (absolutely no reason to hike in and camp goat hunting) drop the mountain house meals. bring a cooler with burgers, steaks, sandwich meat, beer, sodas, etc.

zacattack

WKR
I’m no pronghorn expert but I went on my first out west hunt this year and it was Wyoming antelope on public land. I too over thought it and took way too much crap, a lot of it I now regret buying because I found out what I liked and what I didnt like really quickly. Here’s what I can tell you will absolutely need; take some good knee pads, leather gloves (prickly pears suck how yall live with them all the time I have no idea), a wind stopping layer cause it never stops blowing out there, some good binoculars, and OnX maps. I camped out of my truck or slept in it sometimes. I ate tuna, ramen, energy bars and sometimes Hardee’s for breakfast. No need for the fancy meals, I think I spent a grand total of $20 on food for 5 days. Pronghorn are literally everywhere out there, just be prepared for some long shots. It’s a blast and super addicting, started planning next years hunt as soon as I got home.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Tweezers. Take them. Get good ones and don’t leave them in camp. You will need them.

Some guys like knee pads but I found they weren’t for me, possibly because they weren’t decent ones. Tried them one year but they kept sliding down. Very annoying.

OP
D

Doc7

FNG
My Sitka pants have removable knee pads in the knee pockets where they can’t slip.

wytx

WKR
Just be prepared for any weather as it can e a blizzard during pronghorn season. Cheap tents just don't hold up to our wind. Truck camping works fine with the right setup.
Knee pads will be very helpful, as will leather gloves, I wear a tactical type with extra layer on the palms.
Clothes can be almost anything but good wind blocking ability is a must. Just remember it can snow a ton during pronghorn season or be very warm.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Wyoming can be an absolute beat down on you weather wise. You can be stuck in a blizzard one year, shorts and a tee shirt the next year, and then wind that will blow even the best quality tent all the way to the Nebraska border the next year. Be prepared and talk to some locals or outfitters that have hunted your access area before.

Terrapin

WKR
Rifle, shells, binoculars, a pair of jeans, warm jacket, and a wind breaker.

Stop at Jimmy Johns and get a couple of sandwiches, a case of water, and a box of granola bars.

Go hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
I don't get the food thing...if your staying in your truck eat well. I personally can go easily on a bottle of water and couple candy bars but you will most likely be done in a couple days and don't need to hunt from sun up to sundown for goats...Your going to have some down time or if you are getting beat up by goats or weather I'd rather finish the day off with a burger or steak than a soggy sandwich or freeze dried meals.

Also agree above about be prepared for both extremes on weather. most likely you will get inbetween and the wind can be bad but everyone make Wyoming out to be way worse than it is.

Spend your money on ammo and making sure you can shoot at distance in heavy winds.

Borrow a spotter and tripod from a friend...try to find good glass if you are chasing bucks. Otherwise binos will be fine.

Sleep under your truck at night...if its a blizzard sleep in the truck. Any cheap heavy $50 sleeping bag will work for antelope. Big cooler with lots of ice...keeps food cold and then drop meat in it. You need to cool your goat down quickly.

SharkDog

FNG
A bunch of people have already said it, but if you aren't backpacking you don't need too much backpacking gear. With that said, I have had a pocket rocket for 10 or 12 years and love it. I use it quite a bit. I will throw it in the truck when I am working on a construction site, small game hunting, or even skiing sometimes. Its great to have a hot drink. So get the stove, but the pot that goes up there can be anything if you aren't carrying it. Say a revereware from goodwill.

If I were doing it, I would get binos, a good sleep set-up and clothes to stay comfortable, but neither need to be the very top of the line. Also things can be found inexpensively used. I wouldn't worry about the tent. Most importantly, I would bring fresh, good food I liked and eat it.

I'd second the advice to skip on the expensive gear (except the glass and gun). Not sure where you are hunting, but i'd probably just find a small town motel- that's what i've done several times. then be prepared to cut up your own antelope, buy a cheap cooler and check it on the plane which is what we've done most times.

bsfl

FNG
I had my first trip to Wyoming hunting antelope this year. The weather was variable from cool to snow. When it snowed, I sat in the truck because you couldn’t see anything anyway. I stayed in a local motel and cooked groceries from Casper in the room. Listen to the guy who said rifle, bullets and good glass because that was all that was really needed. All the other stuff is ancillary. People camping I saw were all truck camping, no one was way back in BLM suffering unnecessarily. Antelope are everywhere. It is hard to comprehend until you see it but they are literally everywhere. I wore backpacking pants, a Sitka hoody, an orange hat, and a vest everyday. You can fill a doe tag in the first hour of your hunt if you have a 55 minute drive to your hunting area. Watch YouTube videos on it, that is helpful to visualize the type of hunting it is. Good luck, have fun and don’t over think it.

OP
D

Doc7

FNG
Thanks guys.

I do think I want to buy some of this gear though... Part of the point of this hunt is to start practicing what I would do if I were on a mule deer hunt or an elk hunt, so the first time I drive out west and see what conditions I encounter isn't the same as the first time that I am also pursuing an animal I've never pursued before in a manner I've never pursued before (not sitting in a tree stand). Waking up in the tent, making a meal, hiking out with water and all the clothes I could need in variable weather conditions, returning only at dark to the tent using land navigation skills is something I need to get used to and practice with on as many opportunities as I can get before I end up in a mountain somewhere chasing bugling elk.

I've got access to a Yeti 150 that will be loaded up with as many frozen jugs of water for antelope as possible, this cooler will only be opened one time the whole trip (loading meat). No, this one won't be leaving the tailgate of the truck.

Terrapin

WKR
If you just want to buy stuff as a future investment in your hunting, blow your entire budget on binoculars. A good set of Swarovski EL binoculars will add more joy over more time than any other piece of gear you ever buy. Every other piece of gear will be discarded or traded before you ever consider upgrading. Plus they will make you WANT to glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advice above is spot on I will add If your coming from whitetail hunting chances that you actually stocked something and taken a shot are low..practice shooting with a elevated heart rate from any position but a bench, practice off sticks, prone, off a knee, freestanding.