New Project Rifle

Picked up another MK-85 Knight. It is another 50 cal., and the real reason I was after it was that it is an older MK - Pre Green Mountain barrel... I was really hoping that it might have a bigger bore than the GM barrels do. I guess I was hoping it would be closer to the .504 size that Knight use to produce. My hopes were shattered... It is even tighter than any of the GM 50's that I have so the purpose that I wanted it for is still on the back burner...

I have had it for a few days now and finally got time to check it out... Not only is the bore tighter than I wanted but bore is lightly pitted most of the way up and down. Does not present a problem for shooting and accuracy. My first trip to the farm has really lead me to believe this rifle can be a shooter... Getting clean patches to come out of it is the real problem...

I have had it for a few days now and finally got time to check it out... Not only is the bore tighter than I wanted but bore is lightly pitted most of the way up and down. Does not present a problem for shooting and accuracy. My first trip to the farm has really lead me to believe this rifle can be a shooter... Getting clean patches to come out of it is the real problem...

It really is a nice looking rifle... but if you look at the funky barrel crown you can see the pitting near the top of the bore. I have not really spent much time at it - but I am wondering who made the barrel. The crown appears to be much like the crown on my White U-Mag Ultra Mag - but I am sure it is not a Clerke barrel.

I did get out to the farm with it this morning and get a few shots out it. While shooting I did find another problem with it. The hammer spring must be almost worn out. It really was a soft plunger. It would take a couple of hits on the cap to get it to go off, even replaced the #11 nipple - still no go. When I got home I took the spring out of my good MK and installed in this older one.... What a difference...

Hope to get out with it again a few days from now....

It really is a nice looking rifle... but if you look at the funky barrel crown you can see the pitting near the top of the bore. I have not really spent much time at it - but I am wondering who made the barrel. The crown appears to be much like the crown on my White U-Mag Ultra Mag - but I am sure it is not a Clerke barrel.

I did get out to the farm with it this morning and get a few shots out it. Where I did find another problem with it. The hammer spring must be almost worn out. It really was a soft plunger. It would take a couple of hits on the cap to get it to go off, even replaced the #11 nipple - still no go. When I got home I took the spring out of my good MK and installed in this older one.... What a difference...

Hope to get out with it again a few days from now....

Last edited: