New promaster XC-M

Elite

WKR
I had a Promaster with a 2-stage center column that I ended up returning. I could tell after using it indoors for 15 minutes that it wasn't going to cut it with a pan head and 85mm spotting scope. As soon as that thing got even the slightest breeze the scope would not have been stable. I would be wary if you're planning to use it with a big scope at full height.

That is my exact concern with the 2 stage column and running my Kowa 883

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have them in stock with the accessories. It's a great system and the carbon fiber tripods are built well. Very sturdy. The 2 stage is not an issue

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Roksliders!

Steve and I have been taking a hard look at the smaller of the new XC-M tripods from Promaster. The XCM 522c is the new XC-M carbon version of the XC522. The build quality is fantastic, as it should be from Promaster, and the design is very good. It feels very well built, and solid. My first impression was that it was a great tripod, the height and weight seem like a perfect fit for a backpack hunter who needs a lightweight tripod that can be used while sitting down. And the legs detach increasing its versatility. On paper this tripod looks great, however in practice maybe not so much. It seems like Promaster made the leg angles very steep in an effort to get the most height possible. This makes it feel top heavy and unstable with the legs in their default position. But then moving the legs to the next position seems too far. Also the last leg section is very thin, and only adds to its instability. The dual stage center post is a good design and very well built, but again, it makes the tripod even more top heavy when fully extended. This would probably be useful when sitting and the legs are more compressed and spread out. The other down side to such a steep default angle is being able to get underneath the tripod when sitting. The legs are just very close together and make it difficult to get underneath when using binos on a tripod.

Don’t get me wrong, this is a great tripod, very well built, but maybe not a perfect fit for us backcountry hunters. We are going to do more field testing with this tripod and the XC-M525c, so we’ll have our final conclusions in the next week or so. The XC-M525c has the same leg angles in its specs, so we’re hoping they do not have the same effect on balance. For now I am personally disappointed, but that is why we get gear in house and test thoroughly before we post them on our website. I have attached a pic to show the difference in leg angles when compared to the tried and true Slik 624 Pro CF. You can see how much more stable the 624 is in its default leg position.

rob

IMG_20190327_074816.jpg

Picked up my XC-M522c on Friday. For a back packing tripod, I have a great feeling about it. I do see where Sandhill is coming from with the leg angles but I had no issue at all whatsoever, used it with my geovids for 8 hours and loved it. Also threw on my atx65 and it held it well. The head is good but I will eventually be upgrading it to an outdoorsmans after using a friends with the same set up this weekend.

Attachments

• 20190406_131109.jpg
    20190406_131109.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 105

BruceLee

FNG
I’ve ordered a XC M525 and looking at upgrading the ball head with a Really Right Stuff one. Would appreciate if anyone would know if the BH30LR is the right fit. Thanks

Glad to hear you are enjoying the new Promaster line of tripods. If you have any questions or issues let us know and we can help out

Joel

Baron85

WKR
Glad to hear you are enjoying the new Promaster line of tripods. If you have any questions or issues let us know and we can help out

Joel

Can you post some side by side photos of the new XC-M 525 and the older XC525C? And is there a way to remove the 2 piece center column and mount a fixed plate?

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There is a small post for the new XC-M, called the ground level adapter. This will allow you to still mount a head on the tripod and use it very low to the ground for macro or "prone" work.
Here is a picture of that

This piece allows you to put the plate that the head mounts to on the tripod with minimal space under the tripod. Call me with any questions at 516-217-1000
Always special pricing for forum members

Here is the XC525C

Here is the picture of the XC-525C

Elite

WKR
Has anyone tested out the XCM 525?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took one home the day it got here. Put it through a thorough test. It is sturdy, tall, I'm 6'1 and it was perfect. I set it up for macro work and it was stellar.
I used it with a spotter on a windy day and it had no issues. The All terrain feet were great when I was in the woods.
Feel free to call me with any questions

OP
Travis2282

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone purchased an xcm 525 yet? If so how have you like it in the field?

gypp

FNG
New guy here. Did anyone use one on the mountain this year? I am curious are the legs an effective replacement for trekking poles? And was the leg angle actually a problem in terms of sitting under it to glass with binos?

New guy here. Did anyone use one on the mountain this year? I am curious are the legs an effective replacement for trekking poles? And was the leg angle actually a problem in terms of sitting under it to glass with binos?

I'm interested in this as well...

pc3

WKR
Picked up my XC-M522c on Friday. For a back packing tripod, I have a great feeling about it. I do see where Sandhill is coming from with the leg angles but I had no issue at all whatsoever, used it with my geovids for 8 hours and loved it. Also threw on my atx65 and it held it well. The head is good but I will eventually be upgrading it to an outdoorsmans after using a friends with the same set up this weekend.

Dont discout the little promaster spch cine 20 head its really nice for the price. I grabbed that one and took the ball head off....Im sure the outdoorsman is better it should be given the price difference.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Is the 2 lbs 13 oz with or without the ball head attached?
The tripod he linked in that was a Sirui, not the Promaster. Click on the link in his first post and it links you to it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk