New puffy hood or no hood?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to be doing the same. I'm going with a hood because I feel that it makes the jacket much warmer. I have a couple hunting jackets without hoods and that is the only thing I don't like about them. One is a Kryptek and the other is a Predator. I like them both but wish they had hoods.

I prefer no hood, yes they are warmer, but they collect junk and get caught up in all sorts of limbs stick underbrush stuff. I also like to use a jacket multi purpose for rifle hunting, and most states require an orange hat which would render the hood useless at that time.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
x2 no hood. Pretty much for the same reasons as backpack hunter. Never once have I use a hood from a jacket. A beanie works for me if my head is cold

I might add. When it comes to down or cold weather jackets I prefer a hood. If its just any other jacket used for hunting no hood is fine. But for down (used in the cold) I like a hood. I have down jackets both hooded and non hooded. Hooded ones are much warmer.
Also my Kifaru pack lock jacket (synthetic) has a hood. Keeps me toasty.

sk1

WKR
i am also trying to make this decision on the kuiu superdown jacket.....want the hood for late season glassing, but dont want it any other time....

I wish they still made those jackets. I've seen a few pics and they look pretty badass!

Yea maybe someday in the future when they aren't so busy producing so many great packs they will bring them back. It is an awesome jacket! Very warm

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
No hood here on the puffy. I have enough trouble keeping the soft shell hood from filling with snow.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I chose the non hood. I like to be able to hear and if need be wear a beanie and the beanie is not over my ears with the goofy look:)

aggieland

WKR
I just bought the 850 fill Bitterroot hooded jacket from Golite.com and man I love it. If you getting a down jacket like this I personally would want the hood. If your head gets cold your going to be cold. I carried the KUIU beenie last season and got cold a few mornings so the hood on this baby will keep me nice and warm.

slim9300

WKR
I prefer the hood for added warmth when need be and I own both. I very rarely hunt (ie. stalk) in a puffy coat though. I use it for glassing, around basecamp and for sleeping. 11 ounces of pure joy. :)

Gman

WKR
No hood on the puffy for me. My outer shell whether it be soft shell or hard shell -- all have hoods. So if I really need it I have it but I also like the modularity of a beanie plus no hood and then if I need it then outer shell has it.

J

jballa34

No hood for me. Cuts into my peripheral vision and hearing and i can't afford to lose any more of those senses. Beanie yes.

littlebuf

Banned
no hood, i hate hoods. but i always have a beanie on when hunting. light weight one in early season heavy one in late season. one good reason not to have a hood is you can use this jacket to suppliment your sleeping bag if temps drop,in my opinion a hood would be real uncomfertable to sleep in

No hood for me. Although they make sense in theory (minimal weight wind protection and warmth), I have always found hoods to be claustrophobic and generally annoying. That's just my personnel opinion though, and I never recommend against them if a guy doesn't mind the restriction of wearing one.

Yk