New Pup...Hypoallergenic ideas..WireHaired Griffon

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, we lost our dog after 15 years earlier this spring. My daughter (11) has taken it pretty hard and is still feeling the effects, as its all she has known since she was born (her best friend, she says). Well Mom and I have pretty some gnarly allergies and would need another dog that is hypoallergenic and wouldn't shed much. My wife suggested we look into a wirehaired dog, and I came across wirehaired griffons. I have found some wirehaired/poodle mixes around our area. But does anyone have experience with them? Mainly looking into just a family companion, but may tease the idea of possibly training it for birds or sheds, even though I don't bird hunt. Thanks in advance.

slvrslngr

WKR
A well bred standard poodle might be a better choice. But if you like the Griffs, go for it. Just have a discussion with the breeder and let them know your needs. Some good Griff groups on FB worth joining.

Bl704

WKR
Poodles are one of the most hypo allergenic dogs...my wife says. Not the most 'manly of dogs' but trainable and decent in the water.

I may be also looking into wire hair dauschaunds for tracking... My son has one with good natural inclination.

The hair and dander seem to be the problems for allergies

TSAMP

WKR
While most wirehairs shed very little i dont think any are hypoallergenic. I have pudelpointer which also sheds minimally and my breeder has had to re-home a couple because folks got them thinking they are and then they get home and allergies flare up.

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
We are on a waiting list to get a Wirehaired Vizsla, they are a newer breed to the United States. We met with the trainer and their dogs this summer and were satisfied. You might want to meet with different breeders and the dogs to see if a particular breed will work for you.

My Griff is almost 6 months old and he sheds the absolute minimum. After owning 2 goldens and a Aussie, I picked this breed specifically #1 for bird hunting and #1a because they shed very little. The breeder said we may see a little puppy hair on the carpet in the first few months, but we haven't seen any. Some say to brush young griffs to make them less wiry, and others say not to brush them unless they need it. I subscribed to the latter, and I've brushed him one time. After taking a fine comb to his whole body, it was maybe 15% full. My golden plugs that same comb in a half pass over his rear end.

Go with a Griff and you will not be disappointed. Just make sure you have time to walk/run/play frequently as they have a ton of drive and energy. Without activity they will be naughty...

There are a couple Griff threads on here already, and a couple guys have new puppies. There are some very good breeders in the midwest including NE, WI, and IA. I got my dog from Coppershot Griffons out of Hull, IA. The owner has bred Griffs for 50 years and has some amazing dogs.
Coppershot Griffons

They also have have a FB page, "Coppershot Griffons, Home of Future Legends".

Attachments

• 1469B6B7-1151-4115-8254-09A278EBFB46.jpeg
    1469B6B7-1151-4115-8254-09A278EBFB46.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 048E559F-8D5C-48AB-BBF4-73072E244E03.jpeg
    048E559F-8D5C-48AB-BBF4-73072E244E03.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
We are on a waiting list to get a Wirehaired Vizsla, they are a newer breed to the United States. We met with the trainer and their dogs this summer and were satisfied. You might want to meet with different breeders and the dogs to see if a particular breed will work for you.
That should be a fantastic dog! I love wirehair dogs, I have a Slovakian Wirehair and Pudelpointer right now. I've had standard Weims and Viszla's in the past and they are fantastic dogs as well. To the OP: If you aren't used to a sporting breed, if you don't keep them active, they will entertain their selves. That is not a good thing. WPG's aren't nearly as busy as some and they make fantastic family dogs . I'm not sure of the hypo-allergenics of them as 2 of my daughters were allergic to my Griff.

I am very allergic to pet dander. If I'm even in the same room as a golden retriever I will have a strong reaction. My in-laws have a griffon, and I don't have a problem being around it. He is also a pretty good bird dog.

With regards to a poodle mix- we got a cockapoo puppy this year. Not a hunting dog, just a family pet. I have also been around/petted numerous goldendoodles, labradoodles and ausiedoodles. I have had had zero allergic reactions with any of these dogs. And as you mentioned, they don't shed, so the house stays free of dog hair. Because doodles don't shed on their own they do need to be groomed regularly, so factor that in to the cost of owning one.

Superdoo

WKR
If you're not going to hunt/ run the dog regularly... do NOT get a hunting breed.
I'm not sure if this is the OPs situation, but it needs to be stated for any readers of this thread.

I love ragging on Griff owners and calling their dogs boot lickers and velcro dogs. I also love calling them a great dog for me when I decide I can only walk two miles a day!
It's fun to hate on them.

With that said they are bred for hunting homes (unless you find one with only show lines) and should only go to people who understand that the dog will need to run.
Yes, they are great in the house... until they get cooped up (just like any higher energy dog).

Allergies are a pain to deal with, but so is a dog that isn't getting what it needs.

Again, I'm not directing any of this directly at the OP. I just want to remind people that you need to buy a dog that fits your life style, not your visual/ emotional preferences.

I am very allergic to pet dander. If I'm even in the same room as a golden retriever I will have a strong reaction. We got a cockapoo puppy this year. Not a hunting dog, just a family pet. I have also been around/petted numerous goldendoodles, labradoodles and ausiedoodles. I have had had zero allergic reactions with any of these dogs. And as you mentioned, they don't shed, so the house stays free of dog hair. Because doodles don't shed on their own they do need to be groomed regularly, so factor that in to the cost of owning one.
We also have a mini golden doodle and he doesn’t shed at all. We shave him 2x per year as his coat tends to get matted and is somewhat difficult to maintain. However, I’ve never owned a sweeter or more gentle dog. He is my wife’s sidekick and they go everywhere together. He is around 38 pounds.

TSAMP

WKR
My Griff is almost 6 months old and he sheds the absolute minimum. After owning 2 goldens and a Aussie, I picked this breed specifically #1 for bird hunting and #1a because they shed very little. The breeder said we may see a little puppy hair on the carpet in the first few months, but we haven't seen any. Some say to brush young griffs to make them less wiry, and others say not to brush them unless they need it. I subscribed to the latter, and I've brushed him one time. After taking a fine comb to his whole body, it was maybe 15% full. My golden plugs that same comb in a half pass over his rear end.

Go with a Griff and you will not be disappointed. Just make sure you have time to walk/run/play frequently as they have a ton of drive and energy. Without activity they will be naughty...

There are a couple Griff threads on here already, and a couple guys have new puppies. There are some very good breeders in the midwest including NE, WI, and IA. I got my dog from Coppershot Griffons out of Hull, IA. The owner has bred Griffs for 50 years and has some amazing dogs.
Coppershot Griffons

They also have have a FB page, "Coppershot Griffons, Home of Future Legends".
Great looking dog. My dog didn't start shedding much until he was like 2. It's still minimal but he absolutely sheds. I had a second PP this weekend and she did as well. Just a FYI to perspective buyers.

If you're not going to hunt/ run the dog regularly... do NOT get a hunting breed.
I'm not sure if this is the OPs situation, but it needs to be stated for any readers of this thread.

I love ragging on Griff owners and calling their dogs boot lickers and velcro dogs. I also love calling them a great dog for me when I decide I can only walk two miles a day!
It's fun to hate on them.

With that said they are bred for hunting homes (unless you find one with only show lines) and should only go to people who understand that the dog will need to run.
Yes, they are great in the house... until they get cooped up (just like any higher energy dog).

Allergies are a pain to deal with, but so is a dog that isn't getting what it needs.

Again, I'm not directing any of this directly at the OP. I just want to remind people that you need to buy a dog that fits your life style, not your visual/ emotional preferences.
You must be a Viszla or lab guy... ;) I love to call them great dogs when I'm able to take a break while the owner has to walk/run 2 miles to find them because they mind so well. LOL! J/K guys, don't freak out.

Great looking dog. My dog didn't start shedding much until he was like 2. It's still minimal but he absolutely sheds. I had a second PP this weekend and she did as well. Just a FYI to perspective buyers.
That's good to know and thank you for the head's up. Still can't compare to a GR or Aussie. I mean the hair is ridiculous. Shoulda started a small business making yarn and knitting sweaters. IT IS THAT BAD.

WPFY543

FNG
I can't say enough good stuff about our WPG. Shedding is minimal - I'd say 10% of the shedding f our previous dogs - a lab and a cavalier. The other thing we have noted about the hair is that it doesn't get greasy and it dries super fast which makes more frequent baths much easier. Towel dry and he is good to go. Much easier to maintain than other breeds I've experienced.

Everyone has said it above - they need to burn off steam daily and that needs to include some mental stimulation. I wouldn't get one if I didn't have a good sized back yard or a fenced park nearby for those days that you can't get a good walk or run in. He's a great hunter but an absolutely outstanding companion.

Jaysz

FNG
We had an Irish Terrier that gave my wife almost not allergy problems, but any of the breeds with wire hair will be much less likely to give you allergy problems. Also bathing them regularly and keeping the coat trimmed and brushed will also help quite a bit, best of luck choosing a dog, one thing I would say is pay the extra money to get it from a quality breeder.

Our dog was given to us but he came from a puppy mill in the Midwest and while he was a purebred the breeder took no care to breed out the well known inherent problems within the breed, a quality breeder with stock that they have worked with for a couple decades will have worked out some of those health issues.

sndmn11

WKR
Ours is almost four. I have a close friend whose daughter will near instantly break out in hives around most dogs, Juniper and her can play and she has no issues. Juniper still leaves hair around but in her lifetime hasn't left as much in a month of my old lab/shepherd.

Juniper also is beyond mellow and has zero issue laying around all day, but still can go run a handful of miles with me at the drop of a hat. She does not hunt.

PXL_20211203_040308991.NIGHT.jpg

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Whats the best way to find a breeder in our area or reputable breeder? We are in Indiana.