New Pup...Hypoallergenic ideas..WireHaired Griffon

sndmn11

WKR
.I will get another dog in a couple years I have a few studs who I have an eye on and the srs is a goal of mine to run. I want a high roller for my next guy. If I knew what I did now when I was young dog training would be my profession . I get pure enjoyment watching something click when you see them get what your teaching them and that happy tail wag.

To the underlined part: 100% that is the way to do it. One of my friends who studs his Griff out will not do so unless he can put eyes on at least one dog PER LITTER from the dam's past litters, without the Dam's owners knowledge. His logic is that if the Dam's past dogs aren't performers, he doesn't want to pseudo-sully the name of his Sire. Likewise, he wants to learn if the Dam's owners did their due diligence on placing pups with hunting homes, and he thinks that if they did so, he should be able to anonymously track one pup per litter down either through acquaintances, pedigree research, or at NAVHDA. So far it has worked.

Likewise, I think someone who is hellsbells about this might track a dog's litters for a bit, look at progeny's litters, etc. to then decide they want a litter from X sire or Y dam. The three folks I know who love this stuff, including the guy above, start planning where their next pup is coming from about the time they pick up the current pup. In other words, they are planning 3-6 years out, and regularly place deposits to hold their first choice, but turn down litters and pups if they don't think things are perfect.

To the bold point, for me that is what owning a dog is all about. The dog in my avatar was a spur of the moment thing when I had a significant sport's surgery with 18month recovery time. My gf at the time thought I would stay out of trouble by spending my time training a dog. It worked and I LOVED that bond and communication process. She was awesome. My griff I have typed about in this thread somehow was easier to train and is probably smarter. We went through the same training program as before, and she aced everything before 8months old. It took the other dog until two years which is on par for others. Both of those dogs sort of made my snooty, and I tend to dislike most other people's dogs because you realize how out of control most are and how terrible the dog-human relationship is with those. Its a cool thing.

TSAMP

WKR
5 min of head scratching while on a conference call. Note the non shedding pudelpointer hair on my pants.
20211209_131008.jpg

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
From what we have read, it stays the shedding is minimal. How minimal? We had a Yorkie before and there was like no hair, until he started getting old and frail and it started falling out!

TSAMP

WKR
Your going to get mixed responses on Just how much shedding. To me you stated clearly you need hypoallergenic. So I'd get a dog that IS that. Not one you think or are told will probably be alright. However you could always go spend time at a breeder or friends house with a Griff and see how it does with your allergies, perhaps even dog sit. Seems like the responsible thing to do.

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Your going to get mixed responses on Just how much shedding. To me you stated clearly you need hypoallergenic. So I'd get a dog that IS that. Not one you think or are told will probably be alright. However you could always go spend time at a breeder or friends house with a Griff and see how it does with your allergies, perhaps even dog sit. Seems like the responsible thing to do.
Thank you. Yes, I would love to do that. Unfortunately, I know no one other that you all who own one. Also, there is no one local. I contacted a breeder from IN and eagerly waiting their reply.

I know you are looking for a griff, but there is a German Wirehair Pointer breeder in Indiana, Ghostpoint Wirehairs. He has some stellar dogs, he trials and hunts wild birds. Breeders name is Eric Forrester, he has a youtube channel where you can see his dogs as well