New pup

OP

2ski

WKR
Well it was a journey. It was great to see some friends I haven't in a while. Made for late nights talking which went with early mornings back on the road.

I left Butte last Wednesday and made it to Billings that night and stayed at a cousins house. Real good to talk to her. Called it a night around midnight,, and I got up at 4:30 the next morning and headed further East. Being pulled over outside of Terry for going 84 in an 80 led me to play it safe on the speed limit end of things for my journey. And for driving in the left hand lane. Both warnings. But....you get funny looks actually going the speedlight in MN and WI as everyone blows by you at 10 over the speed limit. But he was a cool guy. We BSed in his squad car as he ran my info.

I made it to Dickinson ND by mid morning and had a bite with a buddy. Really good to see him and spend some time. Then followed that up with a visit to his wife's work. Such great folks and blessed to have them as friends. I continued out and stayed in Eagan at a friends that night. Despite the warnings I felt safe. But its the suburbs. Ate a really good breakfast pizza at a Casey's that next morning. Surprised at how good it was. Left the area and went south along the Mississippi, starting in Red Wing. Beautiful town. Really cool. I'd like to explore it some. Bic pens and of course Red Wing shoes headquartered there. Went down through bluff country on the MN side. Lake City, ect. Really pretty. Stopped in LaCrosse and explored some Kwik Trips because that's the business I'm in. Those things are cool stations. I'm sure all you mid western folks know what's up there. Sounds like everyone shops there.

I stayed in Madison that night with a college buddy. We went downtown and to my surprise Bozeman college kids dress differently than Madison ones. I figured at a well known party college it would look like everyone going clubbing. But super casual vibe. Hit up a pretty quaint brewery though the name escapes.

Drove up north the next day. A later start of about 9am. Of course I had to stop and buy $140 of cheese. Because it's Wisconsin. And how can you not try cheddar that's been aged 15 years. Or chocolate cheese.. or...or...or.... so many choices.

Got up north and had lunch with with breeder and his wife. Really nice folks. Picked up the pup and we took off west. First stop I felt so bad at how scared he was. My heart just melted. We just hung out at a bank with a large grass area and got aquainted. Just held the little guy and petted him. We've been good buds ever since.

We stayed overnight in Farmington MN at a hotel. Slept maybe 4 hours and took off in the AM. We stopped at my sisters house to take a break and let him eat in Billings. Then off again and we made great falls the next day at almost 10pm. Stayed a day in Great Falls to let him take a break from traveling. And then the next morning on to the final leg to make Butte. It was one heck of a journey.

Attachments

• 20210428_115623.jpg
    20210428_115623.jpg
    729.7 KB · Views: 44

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
RFcFqYR.jpg
The yellow lab pup out on her first shed hunt a couple weeks ago

All good looking pups here. Just trained my golden doodle to retrieve tonight. Short distances of course but she loved it. House training hasn’t been so easy. Lol crate training at night was a piece of cake!

OP

2ski

WKR
All good looking pups here. Just trained my golden doodle to retrieve tonight. Short distances of course but she loved it. House training hasn’t been so easy. Lol crate training at night was a piece of cake!
Man house training....exhausting. I'm just a single guy, so I feel like I have to watch him like a hawk. Getting him to sleep in the crate at night without whining didn't take long. He wakes me up a few times per night to go out but doesn't whine when I put him back in. Maybe a groan or two. But that's it.

Okhotnik

WKR
Man house training....exhausting. I'm just a single guy, so I feel like I have to watch him like a hawk. Getting him to sleep in the crate at night without whining didn't take long. He wakes me up a few times per night to go out but doesn't whine when I put him back in. Maybe a groan or two. But that's it.
Based my experience and talking to other griff owners, griff seem too take awhile to house train. Its a pain the first year as they are typically very curious and have so much energy. I just started mine on e collar training and some basic water retrieving last week.

What food are you feeding your pup?

MT257

WKR
Based my experience and talking to other griff owners, griff seem too take awhile to house train. Its a pain the first year as they are typically very curious and have so much energy. I just started mine on e collar training and some basic water retrieving last week.

What food are you feeding your pup?
What age did was your pup when you introduced the e collar? We have one but have not used it as we were told that griffs are very sensitive to them? I figured we might try introducing it on the tone/vibrate mode once she hits 6 months.

KurtR

WKR
What age did was your pup when you introduced the e collar? We have one but have not used it as we were told that griffs are very sensitive to them? I figured we might try introducing it on the tone/vibrate mode once she hits 6 months.
Does not pertain to griffs only but i would not use the collar till the dog understands the concept of pressure. Use the leash to enforce sit and here and have them just wear the collar and then when 100% understood with the leash you start integrating the collar. I would follow one of the programs for collar introduction. Might be one out there for griffs i dont know about as the ones i have used are all retriever based.

Okhotnik

WKR
Around 5 months e collar after a few months of leash, lead obedience training. . I just put on e collar first week when I feed him and take off when done. I'll then put on e collar for some short walks. Turned off. Second week use tone or vibrate with a long lead and food rewards come command. I'l wait to 6 to 7 months to introduce leave it command with collar. ( I start leave it at start of basic obedience training as a puppy) Ill start with vibrate for leave it and if puppy is stubborn slowly intro e stimulus. When older around 7 to 8 months if chasing deer, dogs, cats not listening to voice commands in a potentially dangerous situation I'll bump up stimulations on collar. They typically learn fast. Ive never had to go over 50 per cent of e stimulations settings. If puppy not getting it or being a stubborn turd, they'll test you as an intelligent breed, Start back again basic obedience with no e collar.

Now using e collar in vibrate in fetch and come commands with food rewards. Short 10 min training . I a month ill start with a pellet rifle unloaded at a distance and slowly intro gun fire. And starting prey drive training with live pigeons. No hurry in introducing gun fire.

Every puppy/dog has a different personality. As you know griffs, especially females, can be very sensitive, so be gentle in corrections. Can be a bit tougher with males.

Last edited:

MT257

WKR
Around 5 months e collar after a few months of leash, lead obedience training. . I just put on e collar first week when I feed him and take off when done. I'll then put on e collar for some short walks. Turned off. Second week use tone or vibrate with a long lead and food rewards come command. I'l wait to 6 to 7 months to introduce leave it command with collar. ( I start leave it at start of basic obedience training as a puppy) Ill start with vibrate for leave it and if puppy is stubborn slowly intro e stimulus. When older around 7 to 8 months if chasing deer, dogs, cats not listening to voice commands in a potentially dangerous situation I'll bump up stimulations on collar. They typically learn fast. Ive never had to go over 50 per cent of e stimulations settings. If puppy not getting it or being a stubborn turd, they'll test you as an intelligent breed, Start back again basic obedience with no e collar.

Now using e collar in vibrate in fetch and come commands with food rewards. Short 10 min training . I a month ill start with a pellet rifle unloaded at a distance and slowly intro gun fire. And starting prey drive training with live pigeons. No hurry in introducing gun fire.

Every puppy/dog has a different personality. As you know griffs, especially females, can be very sensitive, so be gentle in corrections. Can be a bit tougher with males.
I have had her wear it around here and there. Doesn’t seem to bother her. I was hoping to continue with the basics sit stay come more out in the open more before moving on to use e collar. She seems to get the sit stay come inside the house 90 % of the time. I worry about the heel training and am unsure if I should wait til she has that down too before using the e collar? We go for morning walks with a heel leash. She seems to not mind having tension on the lead the majority of the time. I’m not sure if it’s she not paying enough attention to me or what he seems she’d rather check the different smells out instead. Have you ever used the pinch collar?

KurtR

WKR
I have had her wear it around here and there. Doesn’t seem to bother her. I was hoping to continue with the basics sit stay come more out in the open more before moving on to use e collar. She seems to get the sit stay come inside the house 90 % of the time. I worry about the heel training and am unsure if I should wait til she has that down too before using the e collar? We go for morning walks with a heel leash. She seems to not mind having tension on the lead the majority of the time. I’m not sure if it’s she not paying enough attention to me or what he seems she’d rather check the different smells out instead. Have you ever used the pinch collar?
Prong collar work great to straighten them up. Use just the sit command and get rid of stay. Sit means sit till you tell them to move.

MT257

WKR
Prong collar work great to straighten them up. Use just the sit command and get rid of stay. Sit means sit till you tell them to move.
Are most prong collars created equal or is one better than another?