New quilt arrived

eltaco

WKR
My quilt showed up about two weeks ago and I wanted to post some information on it since there isn't a lot of info on this site. I opted to purchase a Hammock Gear Burrow 20 after researching quilts for a while... after reading reviews and speaking with the owners, I felt comfortable with the decision.

Noticing that every quilt manufacturer has different standard measurements, you'll want to take the time to compare products of similar lengths and widths. The hammock gear quilts are narrower than some competitors, so I opted for a wide version since this is my first quilt. To be honest, I probably would have been safe with the regular width now that I see the size of this thing! Time will tell as I get it into the mountains and get some use out of it. At 6'-1", I opted for the regular length, which comes just above my nose if the footbox is closed. I expect this will be about perfect for my uses.

The nice thing about the HG quilt is it comes standard with 850 treated down. They have an option for either snaps or a sewn footbox and you can purchase overfill as desired, so it's a pretty customizable product. I opted for a snap footbox enclosure so I can open it up during early season hunts, and added 1oz extra fill to make it essentially a 15 degree bag for later season hunts. I am hoping the versatility of the quilt allows comfortable use in both scenarios. I also requested a 3rd set of pad strap attachments as the design comes standard with 2. HG doesn't have a pad strap design, but they were happy to send me some lightweight bungee cord so I can fabricate my own.

Lastly, there are two fabric options for building the quilt... Argon 67 and 90. I sacrificed a bit of weight by choosing 90 for the exterior fabric for greater durability and water repellency.

Overall, my quilt weighs in at 21.8oz, which is less than 1oz heavier than I was expecting based on the specs and options I've chosen. The build quality is superb and I'm looking forward to some time in the field with this product!

As an FYI, I stuffed the quilt into an 8L dry sack and figure it easily stuffs down to about 4-5L. The nice thing about the stuff sack is I can essentially mold it to whatever shape I desire once it's compressed. No more compression sack for me...
uploadfromtaptalk1404239008053.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404239021885.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404239041334.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404239054375.jpg

colonel00

WKR
Looks slick. I assume the temp rating was 20* from the name "Burrow 20" but what does it weigh in at?

colonel00

WKR
Wow, how did I miss that. I even went back and read it again before asking. I guess I need a nap :/

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
Just to lay the weights out for my particular quilt

Specs on the Standard-Wide are 18.7oz
Added 1oz overfill
Added 0.25oz for half-taper
Added ~0.75oz for Argon 90 vs 67 on the exterior (My guestimate)
Some addition for the extra pad strap attachments
Total: 21.8oz

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Pretty slick there Eltaco. I just recently picked up a Rev 20 from Enlightened Equipment. Havent had a chance to use it yet but man its warm from my first initial laying around with it. Im a bigger guy and a stomach sleeper so this seemed like the logical way to go for me. I never heard of the company you got yours from thanks for the tip.

muleman

WKR
Nice write up eltaco.

I too received a Hammock Gear Burrow 20 recently. I ordered a long, custom wide, half taper in Argon 67 and snap footbox. Hammock Gear did a custom width of 58" and required down fill for no extra charge above the 55" width. Quilt weight is 22.3 ounces and the supplied stuff sack is .7 ounces. Adam's customer service was outstanding and he really is interested in helping his customers receive the best product for their particular needs.

Fit, finish and loft are superb. Just guessing, but I bet I have close to 16oz of down fill. Based off of the fill and loft of my other quilt I think I could easily go down to about 15 degrees in this quilt. The little bit of extra width, half taper and the snap footbox are huge improvements over the quilt I have used for the past several years. The Argon material feels nice against the skin. In hopes of pre-using, I have purposely kept my house extra cool in attempts to use the quilt as a throw. The quilt is just too warm though. This weekend I will give it a formal test run.

14366001790_5510c13d7a_k.jpg

Long, custom wide, half taper.
14549263331_81e3885c99_k.jpg

Five footbox snaps plus drawcord.
14551110144_9d6788f381_k.jpg

Three sets of strap attachments.
14572793453_c3b650b9e1_k.jpg

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
These Burrow 20s seem like a good price point for those leery of trying a quilt....

Fixitman

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys !! Just got off the phone with Adam over at Hammock gear. He said to pass on that anyone wanting to place an order to enter rokslide all lower case for coupon code at check out for 5% off .

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
Nice!

I also spoke with Jenny about the pad straps and she said they have some In the works and expect to have them on the website in a few weeks.

Why did you choose HG over EE? I am just trying to educate myself on these and EE seems to be the standard. I am not sure why EE is the standard but any info is great.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
EE seems to be the standard, maybe because they've been around longer? Not entirely sure why, but they have a good reputation. EE is also a site sponsor so that goes a long way around here. HG also gets fantastic reviews, just not as many of them. Problem is, there are VERY few people who have owned more than one brand, so finding an actual comparison is about impossible. I'm guessing both have very similar build quality based on pics and reviews that I've researched.

Ultimately for me, price won out. If you compare both companies with an 850 treated down fill and similar build options, HG was well over $100 cheaper than EE. If you're okay with the added weight, EE will save you a few bucks over the HG with the 750 fill... but the price difference between those was less significant so a few bucks more got me into an 850 treated fill product.

Derek0525

WKR
I was looking at getting a slick bag but the quilt might be the way to go how long of a wait was it once you ordered? I need to get something before the end of August.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
Took the burrow 20 out for a great test run this weekend, as it was about 25-30F where I was scouting. I learned a lot about the quilt during this experience... but it left me very confident with this as my go-to insulation for my sleep system.

If I could change anything, it would have been to make my quilt a long version. At 6'-1" the regular length covers the end of my nose. Seems about perfect for 35F or higher. When the temps dipped a little lower, I found myself rolling to the side just to cover my head completely. I was wearing a lightweight KUIU merino beanie so perhaps a heavier one would suffice. That said, I slept better not having a hood wrapped around my head all night.

I opted for the wide version when ordering, even though I'm only 160lbs. I'm positive that I could have gotten by with a regular width, but I must say that the freedom of movement felt fantastic as compared to my mummy bag! So much more comfortable, for me.

I did fashion some bungee straps to seal the quilt under my pad, and it worked flawlessly... no drafts and the quilt stayed in place. This was my biggest concern and it was honestly not worth the time I spent worrying about it.

Lastly, I would say the temp rating was about spot on with my experiences with similarly rated mummy bags. My toes did get a bit chilly, but I deal with this Any time temps dip this low ... so no surprise there. The rest of my body was actually a tad warm wearing base layers. My selection of the 20F with 1oz overfill will certainly do the trick as I don't anticipate much colder weather for the areas and seasons that I hunt.

Also, two thumbs up for the neoair xtherm pad with the quilt. The system worked very well together, all while saving me a significant amount of weight over my previous sleep system.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
Pad attachments are standard, but they don't have a pad strap design finalized. I just made some with light bungee cord and clips, which did the trick. HG sent me the bungee. You could also just order the straps from EE and make those work for a few bucks.

Derek0525

WKR
Ordered a burrow 20 last week I'm just wondering if I should of got a little wider than standard. If I wrap a tape around me at the shoulders its 50" and I tend to sleep on my side alot

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Took the burrow 20 out for a great test run this weekend, as it was about 25-30F where I was scouting. I learned a lot about the quilt during this experience... but it left me very confident with this as my go-to insulation for my sleep system.

If I could change anything, it would have been to make my quilt a long version. At 6'-1" the regular length covers the end of my nose. Seems about perfect for 35F or higher. When the temps dipped a little lower, I found myself rolling to the side just to cover my head completely. I was wearing a lightweight KUIU merino beanie so perhaps a heavier one would suffice. That said, I slept better not having a hood wrapped around my head all night.

I opted for the wide version when ordering, even though I'm only 160lbs. I'm positive that I could have gotten by with a regular width, but I must say that the freedom of movement felt fantastic as compared to my mummy bag! So much more comfortable, for me.

I did fashion some bungee straps to seal the quilt under my pad, and it worked flawlessly... no drafts and the quilt stayed in place. This was my biggest concern and it was honestly not worth the time I spent worrying about it.

Lastly, I would say the temp rating was about spot on with my experiences with similarly rated mummy bags. My toes did get a bit chilly, but I deal with this Any time temps dip this low ... so no surprise there. The rest of my body was actually a tad warm wearing base layers. My selection of the 20F with 1oz overfill will certainly do the trick as I don't anticipate much colder weather for the areas and seasons that I hunt.

Also, two thumbs up for the neoair xtherm pad with the quilt. The system worked very well together, all while saving me a significant amount of weight over my previous sleep system.
I to ordered up a Burrow 20. Adam was helpful over the phone and I did add a little overfill to make it more of a 15* bag vs. a 20. I really saved a ton of weight going this route. I'm taking it on my sheep hunt this year so curious to see how it will do. I never did receive the bungee cords, so going to have jury rig something up before I head out.

Ordered a burrow 20 last week I'm just wondering if I should of got a little wider than standard. If I wrap a tape around me at the shoulders its 50" and I tend to sleep on my side alot
If you call them up they can talk you through what you need. Might be time to change if need be. I say call them ASAP if you are worried about it.