New rain gear - Stone Glacier, Sitka, Kryptek, First Lite or Kuiu?

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
It’s about time to get new rain gear. Seems like a lot of good options. Has anyone compared the Kuiu Yukon, Sitka Stormfront, First Lite SEAK, Kryptek Altitude and Stone Glacier M5? I’m interested in durability and weather protection. I realize many have experienced leaks or wet outs as well as tears. I have run the Kryptek Koldo for about 4 years. It isn’t the lightest nor most breathable but has not leaked and has been rugged. Now it’s time for something different. I’m leaning toward the Kryptek Altitude or the Sitka Stormfront. But look forward to hearing others opinions.

_Tyler_

FNG
Don’t have any experience with any of those brands. Do have experience with Pnuma, though.

I have the stone glacier m5 pants and im very impressed. Would get the jacket too but i have a bomb proof arcteryx jacket already

According to their site the large is 15oz but i have the medium size so i imagine mine weighs slightly less than that. They seem very durable and well built, i wore them non stop for a 4 day snowshoe trip with my wife and several times doing construction in heavy rain so far and i was pretty abusive to them in the snow, broke a ton of rough firewood over my leg and beat some thick brush. Im impressed with the waterproofness and breathability so far. The adjustable waist is such a nice feature that i ordered a pair of dehaviland pants, since not needing a belt will be great when wearing a pack. I would not hesitate to pick up the matching jacket if i found a deal on it or my arcteryx fails me somehow, especially since i bet you get similar performance at a lower price point than the goretex pro shells. They still arent cheap tho

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
According to their site the large is 15oz but i have the medium size so i imagine mine weighs slightly less than that. They seem very durable and well built, i wore them non stop for a 4 day snowshoe trip with my wife and several times doing construction in heavy rain so far and i was pretty abusive to them in the snow, broke a ton of rough firewood over my leg and beat some thick brush. Im impressed with the waterproofness and breathability so far. The adjustable waist is such a nice feature that i ordered a pair of dehaviland pants, since not needing a belt will be great when wearing a pack. I would not hesitate to pick up the matching jacket if i found a deal on it or my arcteryx fails me somehow, especially since i bet you get similar performance at a lower price point than the goretex pro shells. They still arent cheap tho

Thank you for the information will definitely check them out.

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
One season on the Kuiu Chugach and thus far I’m impressed with it. Well made, good weight, keeps me bone dry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Sitka stormfront and used it on a 15 day moose hunt last year in Alaska where it rained for 14 days of the 15 and I was impressed with its durability and waterproofing. Busted through serious alders and it held up well

What's the reason you're wanting to change? You mentioned your current rain gear is durable and keeps you dry, seems like a winning combo I personally wouldn't want to screw with.

As for your question, I've used the FL SEAK , Kuiu Yukon, and Kuiu Chugach. You didn't mention the Chugach line in your post, but highlighted that your current set up lacked breathability. I've found the Chugach line to be breathable, durable, and has kept me dry. The Yukon will do the latter, but at a breathability (and cost, and weight) penalty. In fact, I prefer the Chugach stuff over the Yukon. I was not impressed with the SEAK jacket and would not recommend it.

Beta AR. Super glad i didn't get the SV. The AR fit and function is perfect and yeah its loud but i live in Oregon so needless to say my rain gear must be bomb proof. I kinda wanna try one of their lighter weight ones like the LT someday to see if it'll hold up. If its raining enough to throw it on, i figure the noise of the jacket isnt really gonna stand out.
They fit different than the hunting brands on me. If you are fit/in shape and wear a large in sitka, kuiu and SG etc, i would get a medium in arcteryx BTW.
The LEAF(military) stuff arcteryx makes was on sale recently and might still be but definitely is not worth the price difference to me even on sale. I got my jacket for $400 brand new on ebay and the same jacket was still hundreds more in LEAF even on sale. Only real difference from what i can tell is colors, roomier fit for body armor, and velcro on the shoulders to accept patches. But if you really want a multicam arcteryx they look pretty sick. I asked arcteryx and they also said that the leaf stuff is not updated as often as their standard clothing line, so it'll be behind in tech by a generation. If it says its a 3 layer goretex pro, rest assured it'll be legit tho.

Never was impressed with regular goretex pieces or boots, countless times its failed me and was nearly impossible to re-waterproof. But the goretex pro stuff is the real deal and truly waterproof, worth every penny and its light

What's the reason you're wanting to change? You mentioned your current rain gear is durable and keeps you dry, seems like a winning combo I personally wouldn't want to screw with.

As for your question, I've used the FL SEAK , Kuiu Yukon, and Kuiu Chugach. You didn't mention the Chugach line in your post, but highlighted that your current set up lacked breathability. I've found the Chugach line to be breathable, durable, and has kept me dry. The Yukon will do the latter, but at a breathability (and cost, and weight) penalty. In fact, I prefer the Chugach stuff over the Yukon. I was not impressed with the SEAK jacket and would not recommend it.
Yeah i only have a couple first lite pieces and they're the least impressive brand to me thus far. Stuff is way too fragile for me, seems to have a good warranty but if im on a hunt i need it to be dependable

Also, sitka just released some new rain gear too. However, despite them owned by gore their stuff is also way behind arcteryx on the technology. Unless they make something with goretex pro or similar material its not even gonna be considered by me. Never owned any kryptek but others swear by their high end rain gear and i think they make some very quality stuff for sure

OP
S

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I have started to wear out the gear I have. I have a 3L Patagonia set (awesome and is comparable to the Arc'Teryx) but it is a bit noisy and Kryptek Koldo which has worked really well but I'd like something more breathable. I liked Kryptek and thinkthe Takur looks good and I've been impressed with all the Sitka items I own.

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve used all of the above at one time or another mostly all in extreme environments and here’s what I’ve settled on: If I’m going to “live” in the rain gear in a wet environment, (like Kodiak) I’m wearing the Kryptek Takur. Nothing I’ve tried is better. If I’m packing it and pulling it out for a shower here and there, where packability and weight is at a premium, I’m carrying Sitka Dewpoint. (Sheep hunts). I tend to gravitate towards the companies that support our hobby. While some of the non hunting/hiking brands may work, most of them are awfully “green“/non hunting friendly.

pretty spot on. the yukon pants and chugach jacket is a good combo since pants see more wear from brush. my current set is the kutana, and it's pretty good, but cut much slimmer than yukon/chugach and the wrist cuffs suck, they let water in like crazy.

my past experience with sitka raingear was stormfront lite and downpour, and neither lasted at all.... waste of money, and because of that experience i would never buy their raingear again. the first lite is ok, but not great.

i'm due for a new set and am going with kryptek takur, just curious, but i have used a lot of raingear and kuiu has been the stand out and most consistent. i like the original chugach the best, but that ship has sailed. kuiu raingear is about the only thing i'll buy from them (like their merino and tiburon pants too) so when i recommend their rain gear, it's without brand loyalty, i don't like most of their stuff.

I have the Kryptek Takur and am extremely happy with it. It is expensive but I got it on sale so I decided to try it. But having used it for about a year, I would pay full price for it, i have never had rain gear as breathable as the Takur. It is wind proof and I have worn it hiking instead of a soft shell just to see how well it breathes. I only wish they sold it in a solid color as well.