New Rangefinder

I rifle hunt the Midwest to the Rookies, thick forest to open plains. Was all set on the Leica 2400-R. Then Maven came out with their new RF.1 and I keep reading about the new Vortex 4000. I'm coming form a leupold 1600i so any of these will be an upgrade. Besides the obvious optical upgrade, angle compensation and quick read outs are probably number 1. If someone gave you $500 bucks which one would you get?

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
the only vortex optics i buy are rangefinders now. have had Leupold's and sigs, not Leica but had a Leica scope for some time so i can confirm that the build quality of the leica is superb. But, I know people hate to hear it, the warranty you cannot beat and i use it. meaning i check my range finder every month if it goes out of calibration. so far all of the ones i have had this is happened too. I don't want to keep wasting money on them so i buy a $500 vortex runs great for a year, calibration falls and then send it in at no charge. Worst part is many people wont know the calibration is out which could cause misses.

I rifle hunt the Midwest to the Rookies, thick forest to open plains. Was all set on the Leica 2400-R. Then Maven came out with their new RF.1 and I keep reading about the new Vortex 4000. I'm coming form a leupold 1600i so any of these will be an upgrade. Besides the obvious optical upgrade, angle compensation and quick read outs are probably number 1. If someone gave you $500 bucks which one would you get?

I had a Leica 2700b that I moved away from because the angle compensation takes about 2 seconds to show after ranging, and the angle compensation is only calculated on the last range when using the scan mode. Maybe you knew that and are okay with it, but if not it's something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
What's wrong with yer Leupy? Mines a 1200i and is 5 yrs old. Still working (should I be worried about failure?)

OP
N
the only vortex optics i buy are rangefinders now. have had Leupold's and sigs, not Leica but had a Leica scope for some time so i can confirm that the build quality of the leica is superb. But, I know people hate to hear it, the warranty you cannot beat and i use it. meaning i check my range finder every month if it goes out of calibration. so far all of the ones i have had this is happened too. I don't want to keep wasting money on them so i buy a $500 vortex runs great for a year, calibration falls and then send it in at no charge. Worst part is many people wont know the calibration is out which could cause misses.
Very good point on the warranty use for electronics that makes the vortex very appealing. Not the mention it seems as though vortex finally has a rangefinder that is top notch. People seem to like it anyway.

I had a Leica 2700b that I moved away from because the angle compensation takes about 2 seconds to show after ranging, and the angle compensation is only calculated on the last range when using the scan mode. Maybe you knew that and are okay with it, but if not it's something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is why I'm hesitant on the leica, not sure why it won't just range in comp mode. Seems to defeat the purpose of scanning. What did you end up moving on to?

What's wrong with yer Leupy? Mines a 1200i and is 5 yrs old. Still working (should I be worried about failure?)
Actually I think mine is 1200i too. No problems really. My biggest reason to upgrade is for better glass. The luepy is dark to look through. Unless it's a bright sunny day, ranging smaller things at distance leaves me wondering if I hitting target.

Justace

FNG
I looked at a lot of the ones mentioned above and ended up buying the Sig 2200 BDX based on reviews and recommendation from a friend. I’m glad I did and if I recall it was around $300. It does everything you are looking for and has been extremely reliable.

If talking Compact Rangefinder, it is really hard to beat the Leica. Been in camps in the past few years where the Leica cut through the mountain mist where others simply wouldn’t.

Points for the Leica over others:
- very compact and lightweight, yet rugged
- laser is second to none
- optics are second to none
- build quality second to none
- after many years of use never had a calibration issue
- better beam divergence (easier to actually range desired target)
- exceptionally long battery life (some others drain quickly)
- Leica now has exceptional customer service and vastly upgraded warranty

My Leica CRF is one piece of gear that I have zero doubts about. Looked at all of the new models last year and didn’t feel any urge to change.

Might check out a Nikon Black Range X 4K. It’s on sale at cabelas for $100 off right now. I haven’t tried the ones mentioned above but I have no complaints with this one.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Appreciate you checking out our rangefinders! If you have any questions on the Razor HD 4000, please let me know!

Really like my vortex 4000 so far, upgraded from my older 1300. I used it a bit for some spring turkey and pig hunting in Texas And so far so good. The real test will be this fall on my Colorado elk hunt.

Jimss

WKR
I bought a Leica bino=rangefinder combo a few years ago and will never go back to carrying both. It's super nice not having to switch back and forth when seconds may matter getting off a quick shot. It's tough to beat Leica and well worth the investment!