New Release

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
What's up guys, I am looking at getting a new release since I have been shooting with the old T.R.U. Bal that was handed down to me. I still like it but I am looking for a thumb release. I am looking for a trigger style release but am also looking for one that has an open jaw. I know my best bet is to go down to the local shop and pick a bunch that are this style and shoot them to figure out which one's I like but I am also looking for the one's that shine and don't so I know what's good and bad. Any advice help's, Thank's in advance.

Norm555

WKR
I don't think you can go wrong with a carter release. I have the wise choice which I really like, but it has a closed jaw. Take a look at their options and one might seem to work for what you want.

Zac

WKR
I'm confused on whether you want an index or a thumb. Probably a Carter if you want an index and a Stan for a thumb button.

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have an index but would like a thumb for hunting. I like the Carter's but honestly am looking for an auto reset. The reason why I want one that auto resets and has an open jaw is so i don't have to click a safety or reset the trigger just hook and go. If this makes sense. Most of the carters i have seen are all hinge style release's plus have the safety
I have a buddy who has an old TRU bal sabertooth that does this exact function but it is like 20 years old. I cant even find pictures of this release online to show.

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
The Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper open jaw is the closest thing to what i am looking for. I think ill check it out at the local shop.

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I think the tru ball fang thumb buttons are made like what you are looking for. The trigger is not nearly as crisp as the Stan’s or Carter’s. It’s a little gritty feeling, but functional and half the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
While I would prefer an open-jawed wrist strap, I much prefer a fully closed jaw on a thumb. I find it to be much more user friendly in the field than an open jaw. I have shot the Carter Nock2It, which is essentially a slightly modified 2.5 finger version of a Wise Choice, for 3 or 4 years now and love it. Because it isn't hooked to your wrist it is very nice to be able to simply hang the release on the loop while on stand or waiting for a shot.

BigWoods

WKR
The Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper open jaw is the closest thing to what i am looking for. I think ill check it out at the local shop.
I've got a Whipper Snapper closed jaw and really like it. Even with the closed jaw, its easy to get on the d loop since the jaw is closed with The trigger. The trigger can be adjusted from pretty stiff down to extremely light. Highly personal, but it also feels great in hand.

Last edited:

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I got the "Carter Too Simple" I like the closed jaw so I can keep it on my bow in certain cases. Switched from an old Cobra spring loaded wrist strap. Whatever you do I suggest getting help with how to use it properly from someone that knows. Pro shop guys showed me how to use the Carter with proper back tension for the get go and I'm glad I know what it feels like cuz I've slipped in/out of proper technique a few times i.e. creeping in the valley and trigger punching NOT FUN!

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Whopper Snapper closed jaw and really like it. Even with the closed jaw, its easy to get on the d loop since the jaw is closed with The trigger. The trigger can be adjusted from pretty stiff down to extremely light. Highly personal, but it also feels great in hand.
The open Jaw is discontinued so if i cant find any of them hanging around I'll probably end up getting the closed jaw.

Clifford

FNG
Carter makes great releases. I prefer closed jaw so it stays in my D loop during a hunt.