New Reloader 308 Win/7mm-08

Hello all,

I am a new Reloader and have only loaded for two 223 REM’s.

I am wanting to order powder, bullets and primers for these 2 cartridges. So, I am looking for your recommendations.

All shots will be under 300 with the vast majority being under 100 yards. I am looking to anchor mature WI whitetails only.

Thank you!
Steve

hodgeman

WKR
In both of those cartridges, Varget is hard to beat.

I like the 140gr bullets in the 7-08 and in the .308 something 150-165 grain depending on what the rifle likes.

There's really no bad bullets at those moderate speeds so a plain flat based, cup and core like a Speer, Hornady Interlock or Sierra Pro Hunter is just fine. No need to reinvent the wheel. You don't need bonding, boat tails or plastic tipped bullets for any of the animals or ranges you describe.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
I use R15 in the 7/08 with a 120 TTSX. 2000mr worked great in my .308 with a 175 smk.

wseidel

WKR
I'll second the recommendation to consider Varget. I've reloaded a 7mm-08 with Varget (140 Accubond and a 131 Hammer Hunter). I'm also using Varget with a 30-06 (152 Hammer Hunter.) Since you're doing your research on bullets, take a close look at the Hammer line - innovative engineering plus a number of side benefits to using this specific monolithic bullet. Regarding primers, I've always used CCI and it has performed well - 200 for Accubonds, 250 for Hammer Hunters (prefer magnum primers). Finally, with advances in bullet technology today, there are very few "wrong" answers. Hope this helps...

OP
S
I was planning to use Varget with CCI BR2 primers, however, it would be easier to spot a unicorn than find Varget. Same to be said about .284 120 gr Ballistic Tips.

Steve

OP
S
I don’t order from Bruno’s, they are crazy expensive with a rediculous hazmat fee.

Thanks though.
Steve

Rob5589

WKR
Midsouth had R15 recently, if you wanna go that way.

Last edited:

Mt Al

WKR
H414 in my 7-08 for many years. Fed 215 primers.

Funny, that's exactly what I use. Been using Hornady 139 grain interlocks for a few years.

I use a neck sizer die vs. full length but am trying for decent 400 yard accuracy due to longer shots in Montana.

OP, you have a lot of great options for those calibers at those ranges. I used simple/awesome Rem Core Lokt bullets for years and years with excellent results at longer ranges on antelope, deer and elk. Moved to sleeker plastic tips probably due to self inflicted peer pressure! I'm not a ballistics or reloading expert by any means, but at the ranges you mentioned I'd opt for heavier bullets at moderate speeds.

In both of those cartridges, Varget is hard to beat.

I like the 140gr bullets in the 7-08 and in the .308 something 150-165 grain depending on what the rifle likes.

There's really no bad bullets at those moderate speeds so a plain flat based, cup and core like a Speer, Hornady Interlock or Sierra Pro Hunter is just fine. No need to reinvent the wheel. You don't need bonding, boat tails or plastic tipped bullets for any of the animals or ranges you describe.
good advice there. I've loaded for both, quite a bit.