New reloader range gear

So I have recently purchased nearly everything I need at the bench to get started reloading, and have a pretty good idea what else I need to get. Powders kind of remain an enigma still, but I figure I will buy a few and experiment.

It’s the range gear that I just have no clue about. At this time I’m not planning to get a chronograph or bipod, but I’m looking for any and all recommendations for what else to buy to squeeze every last decimal point of accuracy out of my loads and my rifles. I almost bought a Caldwell rest that Amazon states is half off before I thought better and came to ask the pros first.

While I do subscribe to shooting from natural/field positions, I want to know the maximum potential of the rifle and load. Just for some background, prior to buying this reloading setup I used cheap range bags, shot under 20 rounds a year, and called minute of elk good enough.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
The chronograph should be at the top of the list.

Bags can make a huge difference - just ask a BR or F Class guy. Find a set that you are comfortable with and fits the rifle well. Leather will prevent movement once you get set.

No sleds.

Take tools, rags, notebooks, etc.

The range will be about getting set, getting a shot to shot routine and being repeatable in your actions. The biggest thing is to slow down. Remember, you can't miss FFAST enough.

F - Find the target
F - Focus
A - Aspirate
S - Squeeze
T - Trigger

That's my routine to keep me focused and slow.

Lawnboi

WKR
Chronograph would be my number one item.

Besides that a data book, bipod and read bag.

Large rests like used in benchrest or a sled are not practical for the kind of shooting I’m going to do, so I do not use them when developing a load.

Iv never felt a caldwell bag that I though was even remotely adequate.

MagnetoSpeed chronograph, use indoors or outdoors.

PAST shoulder shield (recoil pad) to wear at the range.

Ditto, skip the sleds and get some rest bags for front and rear.

The above simple equipment will let you get great confidence in the load and yourself out of any gun. Going after the "last decimal point of accuracy" is well and good, but that sounds like you are expecting to be shooting gnats-ass size groups (vs "minute of elk", btw, what was that accuracy?) now that you are reloading. Don't be disappointed if you don't get there right away. It's going to take experimentation and upping the round count from under 20 shots a year.

Practice and more practice are going to be your best friends with respect to getting the most accuracy out of your rifle and load.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Really without a chrono you’ll never really know how good your load is, a magnetospeed sporter works great, is relatively inexpensive when it comes to reloading components.

Sleds are the biggest gimick out there.

If you're only doing an outdoor range, a Pro Chronograph or similar is less expensive but the magneto speed is unaffected by sun or shade etc. and can be used indoors.

When you're looking to get every "last decimal point of accuracy" out of your load and gun, chronograph needs to be part of that equation.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with everyone else on the range gear: chronograph, front and rear rests, and a notebook. I switch between a magnetospeed and shooting chrony depending on weather, light conditions, and goal for that day (precision on target or round to round consistency). Here is my typical set up PXL_20210328_171717819.jpg

Good point above about using them for different shooting goals at the range whether you were trying to make it or not. Magneto speed can throw off barrel harmonics and a traditional chrono won't.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
The magneto speed is odd. I have a few rifles that don't even know it is there. I have a few that show a significant POI shift. I haven't found a common cause.

If I were doing it again - I'd go LabRadar. If nothing else just the savings in components would equal the cost nowadays.

Most rifles would already be sighted in, what the magneto speed does during load development with respect to POI, IMO, is immaterial. Fairly predictable how my rifles will group as a general rule.

IMO, it will take a lot of shooting to get up to the cost of the LabRadar if one can be found. Even today, $400 diff vs MagnetoSpeed Sporter is a lot of components. I am coming from a standpoint of almost 3 decades of reloading and have a good idea without spending too many components how to dial in new components in specific rifles.

With that said, LabRadar is pretty cool with respect to downrange information compared to only MV. Yeah, it's a decision to make for sure.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Bipod can take a little bit to get used to and be completely stable, I got these Caldwell bags and they made a huge difference. I also am really liking the prochrono, for being an affordable chrono it hasn't missed a single shot and is on par with magnetospeed without changing barrel harmonics. The bluetooth app is simple and user friendly and is pretty convenient for storing load notes and pics.

20211016_121310.jpg

Pro Chrono is a great way to go for outside shooting, mine has done great for years and not missed a beat as well. For indoor ranges, magnetospeed is the choice without breaking the bank.

OP
ramsdude47
I’m really after accuracy more so than velocity. I’m struggling to see what a chrono would do for me in terms of improving accuracy.

I picked up some nice leather bags, it seems like there has got to be more to it than that. On an unrelated note does anyone have good recs on ear pro with the best decibel reduction?

packer58

WKR
I’m really after accuracy more so than velocity. I’m struggling to see what a chrono would do for me in terms of improving accuracy.

I picked up some nice leather bags, it seems like there has got to be more to it than that. On an unrelated note does anyone have good recs on ear pro with the best decibel reductionC?
Consistency typically equates to accuracy, especially at distance, without a crono of some type you'll never know your ES round to round. High ES typically won't show up much at 100 yards but sure will at extended range.

Accuracy is definitely a top priority, however a chrono will really help with downrange ballistics, consistent shot to shot variation and trajectory, which is very important with respect to accuracy and terminal performance the further you get downrange.

OP
ramsdude47
If I wasn’t curious to see how fast my bow shoots with different arrow weights I think I would probably stick to my guns of not getting one. I can shoot to 1500 yards 15 minutes from home and am only 30 minutes from Cameo.

I’m tentatively debating waiting for the Caldwell g2 to come back in stock on Expertvoice vs the Prochrono DLX.

rayporter

WKR
I agree with everyone else on the range gear: chronograph, front and rear rests, and a notebook. I switch between a magnetospeed and shooting chrony depending on weather, light conditions, and goal for that day (precision on target or round to round consistency). Here is my typical set up View attachment 380551
this is a pretty good set up for a beginner and even most hunters. if you wish to move up in quality it will cost significantly.

a few points i would like to make without criticizing this poster because i can see why he did it this way.

the rest is turned crossways. it is made to set with the single leg under the rifle. set up with the leg under the rifle and near your hand you can make fine adjustments in height with the screw. the sand bag under the butt is also turned around. but that will have little effect on the rifle. i do it myself sometimes.

this particular rest style was invented by bald eagle for one special match [ the super shoot] there are very narrow benches at that range and to get the rest close to the edge of the bench so the shooter could be comfortable the legs were made narrow instead of the normal triangle type.

the sand you put in the bags matters. most shooter should avoid the heavy sand and use ordinary play sand.

there are many many problems to solve in the accuracy equation and i would put the chronograph near the end of the list.

Last edited: