New Reloading Bench

aschuler

FNG
I know it's not as exciting as posting pictures of tiny groups but I know I"m always interested in seeing how others setup their workbenches. For the past few years I've been reloading on an old melamine countertop clamped to an old Goodwill kitchen table. It has worked but it's not the best solution.
I finally decided to get off my duff and build a new reloading bench.

I've started with metal table legs and braces from McMaster Carr. These things are SOLID, no wiggle at all. Also I was able to wire in power receptacles on each leg.
Then I mated the old melamine counter top (going to reuse it) to a piece of 3/4 ply to make a super rigid top. It will easily handle heavy press use.

IMG_20210301_145755849.jpg

Next is to build some storage cabinets on top of it.

IMG_20210301_145747128.jpg

I'm going to try to wire in some lighting into the cabinets and setup them up with shelves appropriate for powder/brass etc.

Anyway hope you like it, I'll post more as I finish it!

JakeSCH

WKR
Nice! I am about to start working mine since I just moved last week. I am thinking a butcher block top though.

OP
aschuler

aschuler

FNG
Nice! I am about to start working mine since I just moved last week. I am thinking a butcher block top though.
Cool! If I didn't already have that melamine top I would have went butcher block too, they're hard to beat.

EM_556

WKR
This is my setup. Butcher block tops from Menards. Two cabinets as the anchors. 2x4 studs along the back and heavy duty angled brackets.

d7d15dd3bad66451005a11d7ce9a3e72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
aschuler

aschuler

FNG
This is my setup. Butcher block tops from Menards. Two cabinets as the anchors. 2x4 studs along the back and heavy duty angled brackets.

d7d15dd3bad66451005a11d7ce9a3e72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beautiful wood in that bench! Mine is definitely more...industrial lol

OP
aschuler

aschuler

FNG
Shaping up. I'm super impressed with the table base from McMasterCarr, it is rock solid!

IMG_20210301_171133135.jpg

Trying to figure out shelve spacing, how am I going to fit everything in here?
IMG_20210301_171133135.jpg

Hopefully I'll have more progress tomorrow

This is much more interesting than pics of paper with holes in it.
Agreed, im following this. Sheetrock just got taped on my house im building and im brainstorming how to set up my multipurpose bench. I wanna use it for more than reloading. I have a several old growth 4"x16"x12' gluelams i just salvaged from a remodel i was gonna run through a planer and utilize

OP
aschuler

aschuler

FNG
Agreed, im following this. Sheetrock just got taped on my house im building and im brainstorming how to set up my multipurpose bench. I wanna use it for more than reloading. I have a several old growth 4"x16"x12' gluelams i just salvaged from a remodel i was gonna run through a planer and utilize
That's awesome, there's nothing like old growth. I'm from Nor Cal originally and we still have a small stash of some old growth redwood for small projects.

All painted and buttoned up. I wired in two small power strips on the bench as well, should be handy.
aschuler,
Good looking bench. Did you get the McMaster Carr Standard Duty Adjustable legs that use the rivets in keyhole slots for height adjustment, or did you get the heavier duty version that uses bolts? Thanks.

OP
aschuler

aschuler

FNG
aschuler,
Good looking bench. Did you get the McMaster Carr Standard Duty Adjustable legs that use the rivets in keyhole slots for height adjustment, or did you get the heavier duty version that uses bolts? Thanks.
I got the standard duty leg. Here's how it's listed in the order

Standard Duty Adjustable-Height Workbench Leg for 30" Deep Top
4915T62

I'm really happy with it. With a heavy plywood top it's super stable.

I got the standard duty leg. Here's how it's listed in the order

Standard Duty Adjustable-Height Workbench Leg for 30" Deep Top
4915T62

I'm really happy with it. With a heavy plywood top it's super stable.
I thought so looking at your pictures, but just checking. Your assertion of how solid these are is a big 👍. Maybe a little pricey but I doubt it could any easier to put together a solid bench using these. Thanks for sharing this.