New Rifle Build: Looking for experience with CarbonSix and Projectiles

philcox

WKR
I am in the midst pf building a semi-custom rifle. Current setup:
  • Tikka T3X 300WM action
  • CarbonSix 22” Barrel
  • Leupold VX5-HD with Talley X-Low solid rings
  • Mesa Precision Altitude Stock
My plan is to develop a load with the Barnes 175g LRX. I know that each gun is different, but was wondering if anyone with CarbonSix barrel experience and Barnes, in particular, LRX, had good results or horror stories. Planning on Nosler brass, CCI 250, and Ramshot Hunter powder. I got some great results in a 30-06 with a similar combo.

Any insight is appreciated.

JoeDirt

WKR
LRX is a great bullet, if you're planning on shooting copper I would buy a faster twist rate barrel. LRX is pretty forgiving but if you want to play with other copper bullets like hammers you'll want that twist rate.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
LRX is a great bullet, if you're planning on shooting copper I would buy a faster twist rate barrel. LRX is pretty forgiving but if you want to play with other copper bullets like hammers you'll want that twist rate.
I had it made in a 1:9, should be plenty fast enough to stabilize anything I am pushing out of it.

mvrk28

WKR
Just going to make another plug for Hammers, to each their own but just about every rifle I load for has switched from Barnes to Hammer.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
Just going to make another plug for Hammers, to each their own but just about every rifle I load for has switched from Barnes to Hammer.
I have 3 boxes of 175g LRX. I shoot HH in my 6.5. If I can't get a solid load quickly with the 175, I'll sell those and go with the 181HH (or maybe the 175g, since the Tikka Mag is short)

Haven't shot the lrx I couldn't find them but after shooting 181 hammers I'm done looking for other options in my winny

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
Ok, after a BUNCH of trying with the 181 Hammer Hunter, I ended up with 175 LRX, 73.3g RL23, ADG, CCI 250, 3.360 OAL @ 3100fps. The Hammer was the best load by far (1/4 moa) but it was too much pressure, and backing it off spread the groups. I opted for the 175, shooting sub-moa, so it works. I may try another load if components get more available, but at this point, that is the load I will be using.