New rifle build

I’ve been all over the place for the past few years on a custom rifle. I was leaning heavy towards buying aftermarket action and using a barrel nut barrel and assembling myself...... but I happened to get a brand new in the box Winchester M70 in a trade deal. Since I don’t have any cash tied up in the deal that presented the opportunity for what I really wanted, a custom built M70. I dropped it off at a highly recommended local gunsmith for a new Hart featherweight contour barrel chambered in 280ai. I will be using a MPI lightweight stock. It was available and priced right so we’ll see. I will top it all off with a leupold vx5hd 3.5-15x44. Pretty basic build but I’m pumped about it.

B23

WKR
The vast majority of my rifles are semi customs and what I'd consider pretty basic builds on trued factory actions. Maybe I'm just weird but I tend to like my semi custom rifles better than my full customs.

Sounds like you're well on your way to a nice build.

OP
SouthernShooter
Sounds like a great build, much like the 280 AI I did last year except I used a pre 64 M70 action and MCM edge stock...
View attachment 251706
I would rather had the edge hunter but the MPI came along priced right and available right now instead of 6 months from now. Hoping to take the rifle on a Montana spring bear hunt.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
is it controlled feed winchester or push.awesome caliber if you handload.hart featherweight with that bore diameter doesnt leave much meat on barrel.if sighting in better wait 5 mins between shots for cooling to get a true reading on accuracy capabilities.

OP
SouthernShooter
is it controlled feed winchester or push.awesome caliber if you handload.hart featherweight with that bore diameter doesnt leave much meat on barrel.if sighting in better wait 5 mins between shots for cooling to get a true reading on accuracy capabilities.
Current production FN/Winchester CRF action. The barrel will be the same finished diameter as my featherweight 30-06 but 2” longer. So the .280 barrel should have just a little more meat left than it.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
glad it is crf.wow that 06 must be real lean at the muzzle.enjoy.just dont like small contour barrels.

OP
SouthernShooter
6DC7508C-7A46-4466-B9CD-8211073352C5.jpeg
I finally got it all together. Ended up with a VX6hd instead. Hope to shoot it over the weekend. Headed on a hunt next weekend.