New rifle - for next season

I have both a ruger American and a Winchester xpr. I’d recommend them both with the xpr taking a slight edge. The biggest edge for the xpr over the American is a locking bolt and a much smoother action. I’ve had my xpr for 5 years now and i am always shocked about how good that action feels for a 300 dollar rifle. Don’t know why the xpr doesn’t get talked about more

Spoony

FNG
I am not sure how much a Win. Model 70 is now days, but I remember a basic being in the $700 range. If $600 was my budget, I would look at used from a reputable source.

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
Winchester XPR hands down. I own 2 Ruger Americans for my kids to use they are ok but real cheap stocks.

salo225

FNG
I’ve killed a pile of deer and antelope with a 25-06 Savage 110. Not fancy enough for Rokslide but it’s a monster and very accurate with factory ammo. A 117 SST at over 3,000 fps is a home wrecker. I hear the 100 gr TTSX moving faster are even more of a nightmare for deer.
I guess I’m just a cheap bastard. Lol. Certainly falls within the OPs budget though for a new rifle and likely leaves a little coin to contribute to optics (although that’s going to require a lot more $$$).

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I’ve killed a pile of deer and antelope with a 25-06 Savage 110. Not fancy enough for Rokslide but it’s a monster and very accurate with factory ammo. A 117 SST at over 3,000 fps is a home wrecker. I hear the 100 gr TTSX moving faster are even more of a nightmare for deer.

I was looking at the savages but no one has mentioned it but all the reviews online are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Howa 1500, easily customizable and upgradable (stock, bolt fluting, barrel change with a pre fit) in the future like the tikka,

Cheapest Howa I have seen is 799 little over my budget sadly

EmperorMA

WKR
Another vote for the Winchester XPR. Mine is stupid accurate with all kinds of factory ammo and the bolt/action are very smooth. It has been very dependable and I find myself using it over several other much ore expensive rifles I have in the safe.

My XPR is in 6.5 Creedmoor.

TheHammer

WKR
Savage apex 110 would fall into that range. Or if you could save a little more and get any of the 110s that would fit you. I have a handful and they are all tack drivers.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I guess I’m just a cheap bastard. Lol. Certainly falls within the OPs budget though for a new rifle and likely leaves a little coin to contribute to optics (although that’s going to require a lot more $$$).

I’ve got some vortex glass in my safe that I’m going to slap on anything I get. I forget what model I have but I know it was close to the 6-700$ range for glass. So it’s not the best out there but it’ll do!

I know this has been brought up a decent amount and it’s getting old for some. I sold my hunting rifles when I moved from the west coast to the east. I have bunch of brush guns, and shorter range rifles. I’m moving back to CA (yes, commifornia for family purposes). I will be hunting in Socal, central, AZ and hoping to get a Wyoming antelope hunt in. If I’m lucky I’ll get in some late rifle season this year. I have some decent glass that I took off my rifles before selling. So I’m looking for a rifle only package. What’s everyone’s go to? I’d like to be MAX 600. Preferably less.
Thank you!

There was a tikka 270wsm in the classifieds here for right around your budget. Thats what I would do.

Last edited:
OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Well, I went to a local gun show. Guy sold brand new tikka 308 (not the caliber I wanted, but not bad) for 650 new. More than I wanted but I figured I’d buy this and stop crying about 150$

wildcat33

WKR
Well, I went to a local gun show. Guy sold brand new tikka 308 (not the caliber I wanted, but not bad) for 650 new. More than I wanted but I figured I’d buy this and stop crying about 150$

Take-off barrels often come up for sale for cheap. Easy enough to switch to 6.5cm when the time comes.

TheHammer

WKR
Congratulations. I do not own a tikka but the guys who do love them, so hopefully you have amazing luck with it. Nothing wrong with a 308. It should serve you well. Unless you are wanting to take 450+yd shots ethically. My lightweight unit is a 308, has taken whitetails and elk out to 474yds. But I believe that it is dialed in beyond my capabilities, and is more accurate then I am. I have it zeroed at 225yds.

Attachments

• 6DA42962-212A-47E2-BC63-5C8AFF76A499.jpeg
    6DA42962-212A-47E2-BC63-5C8AFF76A499.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 8
OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Congratulations. I do not own a tikka but the guys who do love them, so hopefully you have amazing luck with it. Nothing wrong with a 308. It should serve you well. Unless you are wanting to take 450+yd shots ethically. My lightweight unit is a 308, has taken whitetails and elk out to 474yds. But I believe that it is dialed in beyond my capabilities, and is more accurate then I am. I have it zeroed at 225yds.

I’m not mad about 308 I have some ammo Just not as much. I can always trade or buy another barrel later. I’m just happy it all came together right before I move so I don’t need to worry about the crap I’m going to face in commi land

bnsafe

WKR
Ive had a bergara b14 hunter and 2 howa 1500s. cant go wrong with either of them. Im definately in the minority but the only 2 tikkas I have looked at hands on had rougher actions than either of the two I mentioned. Might have been a fluke. howa is definately cheaper but great rifle. Bergara is smoother but man it shoots and the trigger is amazing.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Ive had a bergara b14 hunter and 2 howa 1500s. cant go wrong with either of them. Im definately in the minority but the only 2 tikkas I have looked at hands on had rougher actions than either of the two I mentioned. Might have been a fluke. howa is definately cheaper but great rifle. Bergara is smoother but man it shoots and the trigger is amazing.

What sold me on the tikka was how light and how smooth the action is. The gentleman I dealt with was great, let me pick up and mess around with about 20 ish rifles. Out of all of them the tikka and ruger American (ironic cause everyone loves them here) felt the best. The ruger American had a super stiff action. And I didn’t care for the balance of it much. That or I just liked the tikka that much more haha