new rifle gas

Looking for a new rifle in 300 Win Mag. I have a Rem 700 CDL in 30-06 and love the way it feels and shoots. The Super Grade and Extreme look very nice as well.

Rem 700 CDL

Winchester M70 Super Grade / Extreme / Sporter / Featherweight (concerned it will heat up quickly).

I typically elk and deer hunt in Colorado and hike around a lot.

Which one would you guys recommend. I'm not sure I would like a 26" barrel in the field. The 24" CDL doesn't bother me.

11boo

WKR
I use a .308 gas gun on elk once in a while;). AR 10.

you might be overthinking the overheating thing, I also have a 300WM . Old ruger M77, medium weight 24”. Yeah, it gets hot after a few rounds at the range that’s just what happens burning a quarter cup of powder each shot. I let it cool a bit when it gets too hot. In the field heating up is not an issue.

its a pig though, over 10 lbs loaded. Very accurate.
If I bought another, it would be the lightest 24” I could afford with a brake.

I personally like any Remington 700 better than any other make/model out there, just solid performance history in my opinion. Though I do prefer composite stock and heavy barrels, the extra weight is worth it to me. I wouldn’t worry about heating up, that is a range not a hunting issue. In the end this may be a Hoyt/Matthew, Chevy/Ford kind of decision...

OP
I'm replacing my Savage weather warrior in 300WM that is about 6-7 years old. I can't stand that rifle!

I got a new 700 CDL 30-06 a year ago and the difference was night and day. The bolt action is nice and smooth, it feels good when shouldered, and the safety is nice and in a good location. I can't comment on the X-Mark Pro since I put a Timney trigger on in instantly.

I prefer the classic look with wood stocks, but a nice bell and carlson with black and grey spideweb on stainless looks good too. :)

The M70 Super Grade has always caught my eye along with the extreme weather model.

Wapiti1

WKR
Winchester M70 Featherweight Dark Maple Stainless. The new Winchesters are nice rifles.

Don't worry about the barrel heating. Their taper isn't much different than the Remington standard taper.

Jeremy