New Rifle - Help Me Make A Decision

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
What don’t you like about the 700?

I’d start with what you don’t like about it and find a rifle with those features you want, or without the stuff you don’t.

If it’s just accuracy, I’d be very surprised if you can’t get your Remington shooting as well as anything else, within reason, with a few simple and inexpensive tweaks.

If you just don’t like it, I’d send it down the road ASAP, I see so many people fighting with rifles they don’t like and I don’t understand that at all.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
What don’t you like about the 700?

I’d start with what you don’t like about it and find a rifle with those features you want, or without the stuff you don’t.

If it’s just accuracy, I’d be very surprised if you can’t get your Remington shooting as well as anything else, within reason, with a few simple and inexpensive tweaks.

If you just don’t like it, I’d send it down the road ASAP, I see so many people fighting with rifles they don’t like and I don’t understand that at all.
I just want it to be rock solid and reliable. I feel like I need to switch out the stock and pay someone to work up a load. Weight is also a concern and I think with all those considerations I would be at about $1,000 with no guarantees I could get sub-moa. Plus I've put a couple hundred rounds through it and it has a couple nicks and dings.

You give solid advice and I've thought the same thing. If I had a gun smith that could tell me that I could be shooting 1/2" groups if I did x and y. I think I'd do it. The main reason why I'm looking at the CA is that it weighs 6.3 lbs and has a moa guarantee. Literally 1lb lighter then the lightest stock replacement options and 1.5lbs lighter then just replacing the current stock with a Bell and Carlson one. But maybe I'm freaking out about weight too much. I just do some backcountry stuff and am looking at doing more. I don't want to leave the gun behind because it's too heavy. I'm, for the most part, a one gun guy. Meaning I hunt with one gun for everything even though I own several. The others are just backups.

Again, I appreciate the input and sound logic. I guess I have to think about it more.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
You could probably put a new barrel on it, get a new stock, bed the action, and have a semi-custom rifle for cheaper than purchasing a new Ridgeline. With all of that, I would imagine you would be able to shoot 1/2 MOA. Get the carbon barrel from HCA and it would be even lighter that a standard steel barrel. If you just want a new rifle, I would get the Ridgeline though.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
You could probably put a new barrel on it, get a new stock, bed the action, and have a semi-custom rifle for cheaper than purchasing a new Ridgeline. With all of that, I would imagine you would be able to shoot 1/2 MOA. Get the carbon barrel from HCA and it would be even lighter that a standard steel barrel. If you just want a new rifle, I would get the Ridgeline though.
new barrel on it $700, get a new stock $600, bed the action $200 + some extra labor $200 puts me right in there with Ridgeline. But I could do all that except the new barrel and have that as an option if I can't get it to shoot. I'm not sure how much weight I would save with a carbon barrel but I still don't think it gets me down to the CA Ridgeline. But with a AG Composites stock and 4oz saved with the carbon barrel (guessing) I would be within 12oz of the Ridgeline . . but.... at the same cost. Still not a bad fail safe option.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
No way I’d be replacing a factory 700 barrel with the same thing unless you need a different twist or contour.

Sorry if you’ve posted, but which model 700 do you have?

Have you bedded it?

What scope/mounts are you using?

I’m not downing you for wanting to sell/trade, but you should have no problem making your 700 a very solid rifle. Only negative that can’t be fixed so to speak is the tight mag confines. Of course you can get around a few ways, DBM being the easiest, but I’m not the biggest fan of those and I’m guessing you maybe the same.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
No way I’d be replacing a factory 700 barrel with the same thing unless you need a different twist or contour.

Sorry if you’ve posted, but which model 700 do you have?

Have you bedded it?

What scope/mounts are you using?

I’m not downing you for wanting to sell/trade, but you should have no problem making your 700 a very solid rifle. Only negative that can’t be fixed so to speak is the tight mag confines. Of course you can get around a few ways, DBM being the easiest, but I’m not the biggest fan of those and I’m guessing you maybe the same.
I've not bedded it. I have free-floated it and put a Timney 510 in it. I've got Talley one-piece bases that I've mounted with a touch of lock tight and a torque wrench (to specs + or -). It did make difference, the free floating I mean. But the deresinator from Limbsaver has made the biggest difference. I hate that thing though.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
On the other hand, selling and buying a Tikka would probably be the easiest route if out of the box accuracy is what you’re after!

2five7

WKR
Life is too short to hunt with a rifle you doing like. Hell, I won't hunt with a gun unless I LOVE it. Send the 700 down the road to someone else who will enjoy it, and go buy something you love.

tdhanses

WKR
While I’m one to usually say rebarrel it and put on a better stock, sounds like your best option is to move the Rem along and get a CA.

Also if you sell it that reduces the out of pocket expense, so it probably will be cheaper in cash flow to sell and buy.

Sell your rifle and get something new. Take a look at the Fierce rifles too, I just got a Fury in 300 WM and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk