New rifle help

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
That would be my number 2 recommendation, only beaten by the Bergara. In my opinion, there's not a better factory configured rifle on the market than the Bergara B-14 Wilderness rifle. That being said, the Vanguards are great guns too!
That is the only rifle I like that comes in 30-06 though I wouldn't mind another .270.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
With the weatherby vanguard does the non-floated barrel make any real lick of difference in a hunting situation?

nobody

WKR
With the weatherby vanguard does the non-floated barrel make any real lick of difference in a hunting situation?
I would think if it made a difference one way or another, Weatherby wouldn't sell any. Howa (builders of the Vanguard series for Weatherby) ships their model 1500 (IDENTICAL to the Vanguard) with floated barrels, so I would say either way you'll get them to shoot. Just as long as it's consistent one way or the other.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
So after doing some research. The Weatherby and Bergara are a little heavy for my tastes. The Tikka T3x, Browning X-Bolt, Christensen Arms, and Winchester Model 70 fit the bill.

LaGriz

WKR
Food for thought,

For your intended purpose, a .280 Rem or ,280AI would be hard to beat. Plenty of long rang punch for an elk and shoots flat with slightly heavier bullets than a .270. Should out perform a 30-06 or .308 in most any situation. Ammo is not cheap or readily available, but that is true for all right now. Awesome all around caliber for western hunting or long pokes at deer-sized game. More manufactures are chambering the .280 AI of late. It may not be available in every configuration or brand.

LaGriz

Michael54

WKR
Buy the tikka and add the left over money you saved onto your scope budget. If the action is smooth and the gun goes bang and it fits you its probably going to hit where you are aiming at.

PAbow84

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go with the Tikka T3 or Christensen Arms. Don't discount which one you think is cooler. The more you like it, the more likely you'll be to take it to the range.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go with the Tikka T3 or Christensen Arms. Don't discount which one you think is cooler. The more you like it, the more likely you'll be to take it to the range.
I actually prefer the aesthetics of the Christensen Arms.

ORfish

Lil-Rokslider
A nice looking package from Weatherby would be https://weatherby.com/store/meateaterrifle/ . It comes in all the calibers you mentioned, although I would discourage buying 6.5CM if you are considering elk (although any of the stronger 6.5's like RPM or PRC or -284 or -300 or nosler would be fine elk calibers). I have a Weatherby in .30 cal and a Tikka in 7RM.
The more you like it, the more likely you'll be to take it to the range.
I find myself reaching for the Weatherby most of the time. I think it is because the stock fits me better. And looks cooler.

Rich M

WKR
You need to handle the rifles before just buying one. They all look alike until you hold one and try it for size. Some have amazing balance, others are off.