New Rifle or Customize Current Howa 1500?

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Highly considering the mauser m18 on eurooptic either in .243 or 6.5 creedmoor. Thinking I'll put the saved money towards getting the howa barrel threaded or better glass for the mauser...

I would pass on customizing the Howa and instead just buy another rifle.

I have a Howa .204 Ruger that I re-barreled with a 27" Krieger Varmint contour and put a Manners stock and Timney on. I finally got the kinks worked out but I wouldn't go down that road again personally.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Pulled the trigger on the eurooptic M18 in .243. Looking forward to topping it with either meopta meopro, vortex hd lh, or the new vx-3i's with zerolock.

I'll report back and post some pics of groups w/ different ammo for those still curious about the M18 once I get it set up.

Thanks for the help!

I think that the M18 is a good choice based on the samples that I've seen at the range. Personally, I have acquired a few Howa rifles and have been very happy. My favorite is an Alpine Hunter in 7mm-08 ..just under 7 lbs scoped..I don't load with particularly stiff loads and if I hold onto her properly she treats me well at the range. However, these days...most of my trigger time is with a 22 rimfire...great way to keep up trigger time without the recoil and expense...cheers !

I have a Howa 1500 in .308, 20 inch barrel, all cerakoted (it's the kuiu edition if that matters).

I'm torn between buying a new rifle or customizing my current setup. I use this rifle for all big game currently but want something with a little less kick for shooting at the range and the generally small blacktail/muley hybrids I hunt in CA. If I go with a new rifle, I think 6.5 creedmoor is at the top of my list in terms of caliber. I don't reload if you're wondering.

If I upgrade the Howa, I have some questions since I'm totally new to this. The gripes I have with the Howa now are that it's a little heavy for the backcountry (8.6 lbs. scoped and loaded) and the recoil gets annoying after 50 or so rounds at the range. If I customize, I'm thinking fluted barrel and bolt to shave a few ounces + getting the barrel threaded for a muzzle break. How much would this reasonably cost?

Budget for new rifle w/ scope: Around $1250. Glass would likely be something in the vortex razor lh line (the old models) or another lightweight mid to high-level option.

Budget for customizing current setup:Around $400-500. Would like to keep it at less than half the cost of a new rifle that weighs around 7lbs. scoped.

If I'm being totally unrealistic on my budget please let me know since I'm new to this. Just trying to see what would be more cost effective. Keep in mind, the howa is my first centerfire rifle, I don't plan on having it be my last.

Thanks!
Here's what I did. I also bought the Kuiu rifle with the cerakoted 20" barrel. Sold the stock (that's the awful part of the gun) and then posted a wanted ad here for a LAW/Bansner Howa stock. This is the stock Howa used for their Alpine rifle. I got lucky and found someone selling one. Once I swapped stocks, I had a Howa Alpine rifle, which is a $1K rifle. I cannot tell you how much a difference that Bansner stock made. Felt recoil was cut significantly, even though the rifle was nearly 1.5# lighter. I can't explain how or why. But if you can find a Bansner stock for your rifle, you won't regret it. It will help with the recoil a LOT and you will have a 7 lb. (scoped) hunting rifle.

The other recommendation is to just shoot reduced recoil .308 loads. They are plenty for what you're after and they won't beat you up. Or, learn to reload. It's a lot of fun and you can use H4895 powder (and others) to build reduced recoil loads yourself. I used to have a Remington .308 that I would load with 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for my wife and daughter. I'd load them at about 70% and the girls loved shooting that gun. It was damn accurate too.

Those are my suggestions. The barreled action you have is one of the best in it's price range. Unfortunately, LSI teamed up with Hogue to put some gawd awful stocks on them.

Mlank

FNG
Surprised no one has suggested getting a .223 howa or Weatherby vanguard and set it up very similar or exactly like the .308. Do all your target shooting and practice with the .223.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Here's what I did. I also bought the Kuiu rifle with the cerakoted 20" barrel. Sold the stock (that's the awful part of the gun) and then posted a wanted ad here for a LAW/Bansner Howa stock. This is the stock Howa used for their Alpine rifle. I got lucky and found someone selling one. Once I swapped stocks, I had a Howa Alpine rifle, which is a $1K rifle. I cannot tell you how much a difference that Bansner stock made. Felt recoil was cut significantly, even though the rifle was nearly 1.5# lighter. I can't explain how or why. But if you can find a Bansner stock for your rifle, you won't regret it. It will help with the recoil a LOT and you will have a 7 lb. (scoped) hunting rifle.

The other recommendation is to just shoot reduced recoil .308 loads. They are plenty for what you're after and they won't beat you up. Or, learn to reload. It's a lot of fun and you can use H4895 powder (and others) to build reduced recoil loads yourself. I used to have a Remington .308 that I would load with 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for my wife and daughter. I'd load them at about 70% and the girls loved shooting that gun. It was damn accurate too.

Those are my suggestions. The barreled action you have is one of the best in it's price range. Unfortunately, LSI teamed up with Hogue to put some gawd awful stocks on them.
I think this is the route I'll go before I buy another rifle. How much do those Bansner stocks cost in the used market? I really like the look of the howa alpine (and the weight) and if I could drop the 1500 action in that stock for around the price of the M18 I just bought I think I'd do it. Also, how much could I reasonably expect to sell that kuiu hogue stock for? $100?

I got some 125 grain for the .308 but haven't been to the range to test them out yet. I think they will allow me to get more trigger time in.

I got $100 for my Kuiu stock. I paid $300 (used) for the Alpine stock. You can get them new for $300 but they still need to be bedded and painted, I think. I'd call Legendary Action Works and talk to them first.

125's out of a .308 are really good for deer inside of 300 yards. And they are pretty fun to shoot.