New rifle or new used?

Northof51

FNG
I’ve been looking at a fairly “new”used LAW professional 280ai (50-100rds?) but the price is within $300 from a CA Mesa 7RM. Just looking for any insight about quality comparisons and whether a guy is crazy not to spend the extra for the warranty. I don’t reload yet but there is a 280 ai ammo available around here.

Jbehredt

WKR
I looked down the LAW rabbit hole a few years ago when a local shop had one on consignment. As I recall the 280 was the most likely to have issues. Heavy speculation regarding chamber issues.

Those LAW rifles look pretty nice. I bought a CA Mesa in 300 Win Mag. I have 20 rounds of Federal Fusion through it and I’m not sure I’d waste the time reloading if ammo was available. That stuff shoots great out of this rifle. The brake decreases recoil into the 270-ish range and isn’t as obnoxious as other brakes.

Laws are great rifles, got one in 300 win mag. Some had issues but I think they got blown out of proportion. Mine will be for sale shortly but I know I’ll miss it.

OP
N

Northof51

FNG
Thanks for the replies. Might also go and see what the Bergaras B-14 hunter handles like. It might come down to which one feels best.

OP
N

Northof51

FNG
Those LAW rifles look pretty nice. I bought a CA Mesa in 300 Win Mag. I have 20 rounds of Federal Fusion through it and I’m not sure I’d waste the time reloading if ammo was available. That stuff shoots great out of this rifle. The brake decreases recoil into the 270-ish range and isn’t as obnoxious as other brakes.
How do you like the stock on the Mesa as far as forend stiffness? The one up here is a four hour drive to go check out. I’m not really concerned about weight, our altitude changes here are measured in inches not feet.

How do you like the stock on the Mesa as far as forend stiffness? The one up here is a four hour drive to go check out. I’m not really concerned about weight, our altitude changes here are measured in inches not feet.

It’s not bad. It’s better than a bell and carlson. My issue with the stock is the LOP is standard, but the grip is set farther back and I feel chicken-winged. I’m gonna order a Grayboe Outlander for it. I’ve used this stock with other rifles and it works fine for my purposes. Similar to a McMillan Remington Classic.

OP
N

Northof51

FNG
After thinking on it and seeing the thread on Tikka upgrades, I’m looking at talking to a local smith about rebarreling my Tikka 7mm-08 to 280ai. It’s already got the LA bolt stop and mag and a Bell and Carlson stock. My plan is to keep upgrading with new bottom metal and mags later on. It’s a good shooter right now but I keep looking at the 280 and the LAW sold.