New rifle planning in need of advice

I’m looking to upgrade to a new hunting rifle (from a semi auto 30-06) for increase range and accuracy.

I want a 7mm RM that shoots sub MOA.

It seems like from my research the best way to do this is have a good gunsmith bed a new barrel on a stock...That over the counter guns just aren't build with tight enough clearances to do this, Thoughts?

if...this is the case , would it make more sense to find a ”shot out” rifle and have a new barrel put on it, buy a Rem 700 new and do the same Or to buy components and have gunsmith assemble?

the scope I was looking to pair with it is Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 SFP Vmr-1 mrad

any and all feedback appreciated. Sean

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I just had one built by a gunsmith. I purchased all the components new and a little bit at a time. The action was a Rem 700, the barrel a Brux, and the stock a Boyd's laminate. It ended up costing me around 1600 when it was all said and done. I am happy with the way I went about it.

It probably isnt much concern, but I liked having the piece of mind knowing that everything in that rifle is new and wasnt handled or abused by someone else before I got it. I dont have very many rifles so I didn't mind spending a little more on new products.

OP
The Real SG
I just had one built by a gunsmith. I purchased all the components new and a little bit at a time. The action was a Rem 700, the barrel a Brux, and the stock a Boyd's laminate. It ended up costing me around 1600 when it was all said and done. I am happy with the way I went about it.

It probably isnt much concern, but I liked having the piece of mind knowing that everything in that rifle is new and wasnt handled or abused by someone else before I got it. I dont have very many rifles so I didn't mind spending a little more on new products.
thanks, good advice.

N2TRKYS

WKR
If you buy a complete rifle and not just an action, shoot it in its factory offering. Heck, you may find out that it's a shooter without the expense of swapping the barrel.

lkwoolsey

WKR
You don't have to go custom to get a sub-moa shooting rifle. Sure, it's more fun that way, picking out all the pieces and all that, but if you're sole reason for doing it that way, there are a few rifles that will shoot sub-moa, provided you do your part and use quality ammo. A lot of box guns nowadays are perfectly capable, but just like any custom/ precision gun, one needs to put in the work to find out which ammo that rifle likes, ie, grain, brand, charge, etc.
Just my thoughts. I see a lot of guys who spend tons of money on custom guns (that said, 1600 aint bad at all) and they are shooting the same as a stock gun with a bit of work.
Just my thoughts, hope it helps. And if custom is in your future, enjoy!

Savage and Tikka, as well as others, have guaranteed sub 1 MOA rifles for well under the cost of a custom rifle. There are even rifles half as much of those that will shoot still plenty accurate-enough. The truth is, 99% of hunters don't practice enough to be truly limited by a 2 MOA rifle. The other 1% know who they are.

DarylG619

FNG
Not sure what your budget is but my buddy has a Sako Finnlight in 7mm RM that shoots sub moa out to 300 yards all day every day.

Last edited:

handwerk

WKR
Although it does seem like a lot of current factory rifles are pretty accurate, myself I like having it all put together to fit my needs. Although I use pre 64 M70 actions, you can get a new remy 700 SS action for less than $400, to get a good barrel and have it chambered/fit will be another $650 or so and then ordered up the Mcmillian stock you want for another $600, with a good smith you'll have a highly accurate rifle made just for you and be enjoying it for years to come.

Lots of reputable factory rifles out there should shoot just fine.

I'd ditch that scope though, they don't have a good reliability track record. There is a ton of info on other options on this site.

OP
The Real SG
Lots of reputable factory rifles out there should shoot just fine.

I'd ditch that scope though, they don't have a good reliability track record. There is a ton of info on other options on this site.
what do you like for a long range optic?

I found a used but in incredibly good shape, a Winchester Model 70 classic porter. Had a Shilen stainless match barrel 24" put on it. The action and barrel were given a special coating and the trigger was worked to perfection and breaks clean at 2.5 pounds. The wood stock was pillar and glass bedded and the action was trued. I had it chambered in 280 AI and I love that rifle. I shot a grizzly bear with it in Alaska this fall!

I should add that I put a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold Gold Ring scope on it with the B&C reticle. Love that scope. It's light and has plenty of magnification for long shot and I love the simpleness of the B&C reticle.

Last edited:
OP
The Real SG
Thanks for all the feedback guys. from the info I think I’ll keep looking for a decent used gun or just a new rem 700 shoot it and shoot it a lot. and if I don’t like the result then mod it out from there.

Michael54

WKR
I have a weatherby vanguard deluxe with a 26" barrel in 7mm rem mag and can stack shots with one about a half inch off of the other two shooting 3 shot groups at 100. At 300" i can consistently hit an 8" gong plate with it. Its accurate enough that if i miss a shot i know its me and not the gun.

ianpadron

WKR
I can think of about 10 factory rifles at each price point that will shoot sub MOA every day of the week.

Without naming them all, Tikka, Sako, Christensen Arms, Barrett, Savage... the list goes on

Unless you've got a bunch of $$$ burning a hole in your pocket (nothing wrong with that) save some cheese for tags and grab a factory rifle, find the ammo it likes and start stackin!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

what do you like for a long range optic?

My hunting rifles wear swfa SS 3-9, nightforce nxs 2.5-10x42, or bushnell LRHS scopes. More magnification is nice for punching paper and ringing steel but I’ve found that 9x is not limiting at all in hunting situations.