New rule for posting in the classifieds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Is the +7 days just another added security measure?
Yep, there were some bots that tried getting past the new user spam checks(partially set by number of posts), by flooding the forums.

It also encourages natural engagement to hit 10 posts, instead of "cool", "awesome" and other generic posts all in the span of a few minutes to hit 10, to get into the classifieds.

rbprince

FNG
Completely understand why the 10 post rule that's been put in place to protect this sites community from scammers. As a newbie, I didn't want to flood someone's post just to hit my quota. But now I've also missed out on some great gear because of this rule. Maybe there's another way that would avoid the post hijackers - like having new members fill out membership request forms or something along those lines. Anyway just a thought

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Completely understand why the 10 post rule that's been put in place to protect this sites community from scammers. As a newbie, I didn't want to flood someone's post just to hit my quota. But now I've also missed out on some great gear because of this rule. Maybe there's another way that would avoid the post hijackers - like having new members fill out membership request forms or something along those lines. Anyway just a thought

This rule has been in place since December, you joined June 4th. You've had plenty of time to have conversations on here to get your post count up. Every time someone says, "there has to be a better way," they don't usually realize this is the best way we have come up with. We want to keep it free and not waste our time by reading through for submissions. As Ryan points out frequently, this wasn't built for the classifieds, nor does it drive the majority of our traffic. The classifieds are however the biggest headache for the admins. Complaining that you missed out on gear because of a rule in effect months before you joined, is like giving a grocery store a bad review because you showed up 10 minutes after their posted closing time. The information was out there, we don't make exceptions.

rbprince

FNG
This rule has been in place since December, you joined June 4th. You've had plenty of time to have conversations on here to get your post count up. Every time someone says, "there has to be a better way," they don't usually realize this is the best way we have come up with. We want to keep it free and not waste our time by reading through for submissions. As Ryan points out frequently, this wasn't built for the classifieds, nor does it drive the majority of our traffic. The classifieds are however the biggest headache for the admins. Complaining that you missed out on gear because of a rule in effect months before you joined, is like giving a grocery store a bad review because you showed up 10 minutes after their posted closing time. The information was out there, we don't make exceptions.
Wasn't looking for a lecture on what I should or shouldn't have done. Just providing comments and trying to contribute with some ideas - following the rules to participate with positive posts. I'm not here for the classifieds but appreciate the fact that is it part of the site and look forward to being able to participate. My comment seems to have ignited some frustration on this subject which wasn't my intent. So I'll bid you "Good Day Sir" and be on my way.

Status
Not open for further replies.