New scope for elk rifle - which one / brand?

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
There are a ton of options that would do the job for under $2,500. Literally every brand on the market has something in the 12-18x magnification with reliable tracking, most will offer illumination if you want that.

I'm interested to see the new Vortex Razor LHT in action. I had the original 8-20ish Razor on a Lapua and I loved it. It was rock solid and the glass was great.

OP
H

hans17

FNG
The quality of the NXS glass is pretty good. I'm a Swaro whore for my binos and spotting scopes. But for an optic that I often spend only seconds (max a minute) looking through, the NXS glass is more then sufficient. Something that is 10oz heavier, might give you a couple minute advantage at first or last light.

If you want a tough scope, more then 10x and 20oz or less, that dials, that combo of traits doesnt exist. You'll have to give up something.
I'd give up on weight first, magnification second. Good point on time looking through, I also have Swaro spotting scope and bino's, which certainly keep the bar high for the other optics!

SHV 3-10 would be a good choice. 20 oz, tough as nails. If you need to dial just pull the top cap off. The MOAR reticle works great for holdovers and wind adjustments.

AGPank

WKR
Meopta Meostar has some great options in better hunting magnifications 2.5-15, 3-12, 4-16. I think their dichroic reticle would be a reliable hunting option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

hans17

FNG
Anyone use both the NXS and ATACR? Is the glass noticeably better in the ATACR to where it would make a difference on a first / last light shot, or more of a nicer to have but won't change the shot opportunity and you're lugging some extra weight?

slm9s

FNG
Yep, I have the vx6 with LR duplex in 2-12 on my elk rifles. I love them, but I don't dial them as I've heard several reports of them failing at the wrong time... The dots will get me to 500, and the illuminated dot is great for the dark timber.

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
I'd give up on weight first, magnification second. Good point on time looking through, I also have Swaro spotting scope and bino's, which certainly keep the bar high for the other optics!
Why doesn’t anyone ever mention the swaro X5? Is it not tough enough? I also have swaro spotter, binos and scope. Not an X5 yet though.

Ram94

WKR
The X5 is 31 oz and $3,000

Can’t comment on toughness or reliability as I have not had any experience with them.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
I just received my second TS Customs last week. You’re gonna love it. For what it’s worth, I have Nightforce on both. Good luck with your new toy

OP
H

hans17

FNG
The X5 is 31 oz and $3,000

Can’t comment on toughness or reliability as I have not had any experience with them.
Have two Z5’s and one completely lost zero. Thankfully discovered at the range and not a mountain. Swaro had great CS and repaired and returned promptly. The X5 is bigger and heavier than I would want for this gun, but probably a great scope. Zeiss v6 hang with a nightforce hunt after hunt? Am I too hung up on weight?

HuntnPack

WKR
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42.
Great little 20 oz.scope.
Low mounting to stock.
Good FOV, & eye relief.
Tracks perfectly, RTZ, very STOUT build.
Nice positive click adjustment
Zero stop. Good glass,
Moar reticle is nice,
Illumination, adjustable brightness.
Durability, Repeatability, Reliability !!!

Last edited:

carter33

WKR
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42.
Great little 20 oz.scope.
Low mounting to stock.
Good FOV, & eye relief.
Tracks perfectly, RTZ, very stout build.
Nice positive click adjustment
Zero stop.
Good glass, Moar reticle is nice,
Illuminated.

Gotta agree here, if durability/reliability is mandatory and weight is important I would consider it the gold standard. I’ve had two leupold vx6hds. One is great and the other has a misaligned reticle/turret in relation to level. So batting 50%. I have only had one NXS and I regret selling it but am putting a NXS 2.5-10 on my lightweight build.

I know after having been through a few scopes I will no longer go back to one I have had issues with because even if you get a “good one” you will always second guess it.

I would also check out the Sightron SIII. It's not quite as expensive as the other scopes mentioned here, but I have had great experience with mine and only heard great things from others who have one. I have the 3.5-10 x 44mm version (cause I'm mostly in the dense woods of the NE) and it is simply amazing. I have the mil dot reticle with .1 mil scope adjustments (what I was trained on) and the glass is so clear and bright. The scope tracks great and holds it's zero like it should. You would be able to use the subtentions (either MOA or mil depending on your reticle choice) to hold for wind. I must say that I have never had the opportunity (or the money) to try/use any of the top brands of glass (like NF). My budget is limited so keep that in mind. But compared to my Leupold vx-3i I used to have, it is much better.

For your purpose I would look at the 6-24 x 50mm versions or even the 8-32 x 56mm (I'm not too familiar with shooting that far so you pick the magnification). I've only heard rave reviews about those versions as well and have spoken to multiple people who hunt long range with great success with the 6-24 version. Brand new they retail around $750-$900. They also have newer models with a zero stop or in first focal plane with zero stop for more money. Check them all out.

I highly recommend these scopes!

What about Zeiss conquest 6 3-18x50? I was and still in the same boat had a 7.5 pound 280ai and went NF and while I agree great scopes way to bulky and heavy for my need turned by gun into 9.5 lbs. Picked up a Zeiss and its 22 oz and so far the glass has been great. May go this route again with a lightweight 6.5 saum build.

Seems hard to beat the Nightforce 2.5-10 if that is enough mag for you. If not I would look at the march 2.5-25X42. It weigh's 21.5 oz. Only 1oz more than the NF. Pretty small and compact. The 52mm version only weighs 23.5oz if you are worried about last light shooting.

I have a March and Swaro X5's. I like them both. If I wanted to stay under 25oz with good glass I would lean March.

OP
H

hans17

FNG
Thank you for all the constructive input! It wasn't on my radar, but now I'm thinking the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 is choice #1. The more I think about being in AK or MT hunting the more the dependability reputation of NF is making my decision. My Leupolds and Zeiss have been fine, Swaro's 1 out of two has had to go back, never owned a Nightforce. Second choice right now a Zeiss V6 3-18.

I don’t doubt the NF are tough scopes, too much good press. Been hunting/guiding/police work/ with nothing but Leupold for the last 53 years, one problem. Reads like I’m very lucky.😉
In any event I’ve killed a lot more elk under 100 yards then I’ve shot over 400 yards, I sure like seeing those low power options listed. The scope that intrigues me the most is the Night force 1.5 x8.
looks like it would balance well on a rifle, fit in a saddle scabbard well.
Good luck, have fun, kill elk.

OP
H

hans17

FNG
I don’t doubt the NF are tough scopes, too much good press. Been hunting/guiding/police work/ with nothing but Leupold for the last 53 years, one problem. Reads like I’m very lucky.😉
In any event I’ve killed a lot more elk under 100 yards then I’ve shot over 400 yards, I sure like seeing those low power options listed. The scope that intrigues me the most is the Night force 1.5 x8.
looks like it would balance well on a rifle, fit in a saddle scabbard well.
Good luck, have fun, kill elk.
Agree with all of the above, including 40 years of Leupolds w/o a problem. granted I always set em and shot em and never dialed em. You just can't find anyone who has had a problem w/ a Nightforce though.

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
I would also check out the Sightron SIII. It's not quite as expensive as the other scopes mentioned here, but I have had great experience with mine and only heard great things from others who have one. I have the 3.5-10 x 44mm version (cause I'm mostly in the dense woods of the NE) and it is simply amazing. I have the mil dot reticle with .1 mil scope adjustments (what I was trained on) and the glass is so clear and bright. The scope tracks great and holds it's zero like it should. You would be able to use the subtentions (either MOA or mil depending on your reticle choice) to hold for wind. I must say that I have never had the opportunity (or the money) to try/use any of the top brands of glass (like NF). My budget is limited so keep that in mind. But compared to my Leupold vx-3i I used to have, it is much better.

For your purpose I would look at the 6-24 x 50mm versions or even the 8-32 x 56mm (I'm not too familiar with shooting that far so you pick the magnification). I've only heard rave reviews about those versions as well and have spoken to multiple people who hunt long range with great success with the 6-24 version. Brand new they retail around $750-$900. They also have newer models with a zero stop or in first focal plane with zero stop for more money. Check them all out.

I highly recommend these scopes!
Check out Liberty Otics, I think they're running a special on the Sightron III series scopes Close out if I'm not mistaken

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord