New scope for elk rifle - which one / brand?

RS3579

WKR
My next scope will probably be a Nightforce 2.5-10x42. I little heavier than a leupold but I’m going for durability.

I treat my rifle like it's made of eggs when on a hunt. Not because of reliability (Leupold has an amazing warranty) but because of zero. Drop any rifle on a rock and you should check your zero again. This can be really unhandy in hunting country. I also notice a trend towards huge magnification. I'm wondering what the point is in being able to resolve much closer than the rifle can be shot? A super clear, lower power fixed scope has a ton going for it.

I removed a 6.5-20 and replaced it with the much smaller 4.5-12 on a medium weight 6 BR and can shoot it as good. If you can't estimate the range between 550 and 575 yds, or can't allow for every nuance of wind swirl along the way, I think your packing weight for nothing.

nuclear worker

Lil-Rokslider
I removed a 6.5-20 and replaced it with the much smaller 4.5-12 on a medium weight 6 BR and can shoot it as good. If you can't estimate the range between 550 and 575 yds, or can't allow for every nuance of wind swirl along the way, I think your packing weight for nothing.

nuclear worker

Lil-Rokslider
I never see anything above Trijicon scopes. Me and my wife both have used them. Are we missing something? Seems like they worked fine for us?

doc88

FNG
If weight is not an issue.... for toughness, great glass look at the NF ATACR 5-25x56 Enhanced MOART reticle. Great hunting SFP tough scope. If you haven't seen this reticle you need to. It is a little finer than the MOAR reticle. This is a $2500 scope. As others have already said there are many scopes under that price mark that will work. But, if you are going to spend that kind of money , the ATACR Enhanced is worth consideration.

drlfc

FNG
Anybody have an opinion on a Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50? I have a budget up to $3500 if need be. I just want the best for hunting sheep.

freddyG

WKR
Anyone use both the NXS and ATACR? Is the glass noticeably better in the ATACR to where it would make a difference on a first / last light shot, or more of a nicer to have but won't change the shot opportunity and you're lugging some extra weight?
ATACR glass is superior by a long ways. The shot at first/last light is going to come down to what scope and objective size you are comparing.

freddyG

WKR
Why doesn’t anyone ever mention the swaro X5? Is it not tough enough? I also have swaro spotter, binos and scope. Not an X5 yet though.
They are not even in the same reliability universe as NF. For similar money, one would be a fool to buy Swaro. Mine lasted 600 rounds before failing to hold POI. All on a 7-08.

freddyG

WKR
Anybody have an opinion on a Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50? I have a budget up to $3500 if need be. I just want the best for hunting sheep.
Get an ATACR, and be done. Second guessing your equipment is a horrible way to hunt. Been there done that.

Ram94

WKR
Except for a sheep rifle the ATACR is about 10lbs too heavy lol

Only kind of kidding. I think if you are looking for a reliable dialing scope at a backpack hunting weight, either the nxs 2.5-10x42, SHV 3-10x42, SWFA 3-9 or a March 2.5-25x42

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericF

WKR
They are not even in the same reliability universe as NF. For similar money, one would be a fool to buy Swaro. Mine lasted 600 rounds before failing to hold POI. All on a 7-08.

Is this an X5 that failed for you or one of their lesser models?

The new vortex rzr LH looks awesome with some of the new features they added , will probably be my next scope!

I have used Leupold scopes for 20 + years in all types of terrain and weather conditions.
Customer service is great. They always respond and take care of any issue I have.

My recent favorite is the VX6 HD scope 3 X 18 50 mm objective. Great bang for the buck.
Light gathering at early and late is great for Elk hunting in my opinion.

Optics is where you want to spend your $. I prefer the Leupold scope value proposition and then spend my savings on a good pair of Swaro binos to go with it.

drlfc

FNG
Thanks for the help. Today I'm ordering a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50 and yesterday I received a pair of Swarovski EL Range 10x42 binos.
Which reticle do you guys like the best?