New Scope for Rem 700 Mountain Rifle

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
Up late for work, so I figured I would post this now.

After some recent attempts to stretch my Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 Rem I have come to the conclusion that I need to upgrade my scope. I am wanting to keep costs reasonable, so less than 1K. My goal is to get as proficient as possible out to 600 yards or better on steel. I'll likely never take a shot at that distance in the field. But, I passed a few shots over the past several seasons as I was uncomfortable shooting in excess of 350 or so with the Zeiss 3X9 that is on it now. Originally I wanted to keep it as light as reasonably possible, but I am abandoning that concept in favor of extending my range per the above. Additionally, my eyes have begun to go a bit, so I need the extra magnification, regardless. Do you all have any recommendations?

So far, after some good advice, I am locked in on the Zeiss V4 4X16X44, 4X16X50. I've not ruled out the 6X24X50, either, as it is only a 1.3 OZ penalty over the 4X16X50. Alternatively, in the 1" tube, I like the Tract Toric 3X15. But, I figure if I am upgrading, might as well do the 30 MM tube so I am not wanting to replace in the future. This is my go-to hunting rifle, so I don't want to revisit.

Respectfully asking for any advice you all can offer.

Jmeicke

FNG
I just finished shopping for a new, low-cost scope for my 7mm - 08 albeit for shorter ranges so not in the powers you’re referencing here (400 yards max really). Hard to go wrong with the Zeiss you mentioned. I will say that as far as bang for buck goes Vortex brings some serious value. Both the crossfire ii and the viper family were awesome. All of the opinions I can find online and otherwise seem to agree. If you’re able it is extremely helpful to get to a bass pro or any other brick and mortar establishment with a large selection to look through and compare. I favored the vortex products to many of the higher dollar brands at comparable powers. Bear in mind though that I was looking for a scope for a $300 drag through the mud hunting rifle so I was never going to stick anything real ritzy on there. Just my two cents. Good luck!

OP
A

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
Roger that. Thanks for the responses, fellas.

CApighunter -- Legit vote for the V4. Incidentally, I've never owned a rifle in .270 WSM, but I have come dangerously close to buying one several times. Really like the specs on that cartridge.

JMeicke - went back and forth on how much I want to spend on the scope as I am notoriously rough on gear ... and I promised myself some years ago I'd never get a dialing scope when I started rifle hunting again. Age has a way of re-calibrating ideological stances. So here we sit. I've not looked at Vortex in some time, so I'll look again.

JakeSCH

WKR
I would recommend the 44mm objective because if you are going light weight you probably do not have the high enough comb for a good cheek weld with the 50mm.

16x is more than enough for steel at those distances.

I will 2x that it might be worth looking at the vortex LHT, it is a "similar" scope but weighs 3 to 4 oz less if that matters to you. If weight doesn't matter I would probably go with the v4.

OP
A

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
Good thought. Thanks for the response. I wondered about the 50 MM objective issue. Wasn't able to find conclusive data on that last night. So, much appreciated.

Abolt2

FNG
Definitely go 30mm. Do it right and be done. It’s only money. Somebody will spend it for you, if you don’t.