New Scope Help

Long time lurker first time poster... Wondering if you guys or gals could give me your thoughts on a couple of scopes I am trying to decide between. I will be putting it on a Christianson 7MM Rem mag, going to hunt elk with it but will be used more for whitetail in Michigan (far shorter shots). It seems like the more I look into the options it's like the deep end of the ocean. illuminated recital is not something I have to have, thinking 3x15 ish and 44mm. All are flexible price range is probably $1300 and below give or take a bit.
I have looked at
Nightforce SHV
Swarovski z5 and z3
Zeis conquest v4
Maven
Leupold ( i am intrigued with the CDS dial but don't know if it makes that much of a difference or not, sounds great in theory but is it that much easier to use?)

Appreciate greatly your thoughts and suggestions and time.

Yellow,

I just recently picked up a Z3 3-10x42 with the BRH. My buddy picked up a VX5HD 3-15x44 CDS/Wind-plex last year. We did some side by side a few weeks ago and found both scopes to be quite comparable optically. We compared the images side by side during the middle of the day, and the last hour of daylight until it was too dark to see, looking at specific objects out to about 800 yards. It was HARD to find any discernable difference between the two.

I opted for the Z3 because of weight. My buddy went with the VX5HD because he likes to buy American and the Leupy fit the bill and all of his criteria. He has not ordered a custom dial yet because he has not settled on a particular load that he wants to shoot. He has used the CDS at the range though and it has been reliable. No box testing or anything, but it returns to zero and he hasn't had any issues yet.

I haven't shot the rifle with the Z3 yet, but it's my first "high end" scope and I'm really happy with it so far. I wanted a lightweight scope, SFP, something with a bdc type reticle because I don't want to dial this one, something durable, with good glass, and something with a low enough bottom end to hunt in the thicker stuff while also being able to reach out 4-500 yards if necessary. I think the Z3 covered all of that the best. I was not interested in any of the other Swaro scopes. The VX5HD was second on my list, but it was heavier than I care for on this rifle (Tikka T3 Superlite). I also really liked the Nightforce SHV 3-10 MOAR but it was quite a bit heavier than what I wanted.

I guess I would ask if you have any criteria for weight or specific reticles? SFP or FFP? I doubt you could go wrong with any of the scopes you listed.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a VX6 with the CDS on a Weatherby 300 Weatherby mag. I zeroed at 200yds and its very accurate out to the 500yds I shot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Zeiss V4 and it's fantastic. Great glass and lightweight. I dial for elevation and hold for wind when I shoot, so this Zeiss is perfect because it has an elevation turret and a capped windage turret. The Vortex Razor LHT looks great also. I was between those two and chose the Zeiss because it was on sale.

I have the Zeiss V4 and it's fantastic. Great glass and lightweight. I dial for elevation and hold for wind when I shoot, so this Zeiss is perfect because it has an elevation turret and a capped windage turret. The Vortex Razor LHT looks great also. I was between those two and chose the Zeiss because it was on sale.
How much have you dialed that Zeiss? I’ve had them on the list before, and like the specs and the looks, but haven’t read a whole lot about the reliability when dialing.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I've only shot it once and took it out to 400. Seems good. Has a zero stop.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a couple vortex razor lht mounted on my muzzleloader and hunting rifle. I really like the features and wieght of the LHT and it has a perfect return to zero for me.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk