New scope purchase

baeloth

FNG
Hi, I'm planning to buy a lightweight hunting rifle in 308 (probably kimber hunter) trying to decide between Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15×42 or Leupold Vx3i 4.5-15×40. I know they aren't equal product lines, these are two scopes that individuals have recommended. I do know the Leupold is lighter. any and all opinions are appreciated. thanks😊

Rodéo

WKR
I owned the vortex razor hd lh 3-15x42 and it was a fantastic scope. I regret selling it. I bought the vx3i and returned it. That scope wasn't up to par for the price imo. Maybe I got a poor model but I really was not a fan of the leupold.
I highly recommend the razor hd lh. Thinking of picking up another 1.5-8 or 2-10 model for my next rifle before they're all gone.

OP
baeloth

baeloth

FNG
How close is your nearest shot? How far is the farthest?

How about either:

Steiner GS3 2-10x42 - 4A
Magnification 2x-10x
Tube Diameter 30mm
Length 13.5
Weight 18 oz

Steiner GS3 3-15x50 - 4A
Magnification 3x-15x
Tube Diameter 30mm
Length 14.1
Weight 24 oz

Which have German optics assembled in Colorado
Thanks for your reply, I hunt in north central Colorado. my closest shots are under 100 yds and my longest shot I've taken so far was 355yds for a pronghorn buck this past season. 300 is the longest lane at the range I go to. I doubt I'll take a longer shot than 400.
I'll take a look at the Steiner, but they're considerably heavier than either the Razor or the Leupold models I'm looking at.

ChrisAU

WKR
I've had both and IMO the Razor is better in almost all regards. If it had better turrets it'd be near perfection. I wouldn't say the Leupold has good ones either though, and sadly these days I trust a Japanese Razor to perform more than I would any American Loopy.

The razor is an awesome scope but for the money the vx3i is hard to beat. I really like mine.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've had both and IMO the Razor is better in almost all regards. If it had better turrets it'd be near perfection. I wouldn't say the Leupold has good ones either though, and sadly these days I trust a Japanese Razor to perform more than I would any American Loopy.

Arent the current Razors made in China though.

ChrisAU

WKR
Arent the current Razors made in China though.

The Razor HD LH is made in Japan, just sold one a few days ago with it clearly marked and I actually emailed Vortex customer service a month ago and they said they still are made in Japan.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had a razor HD LH, well I still do but it’s not on a rifle, in order to get the bolt of my kimber to clear the scope I’d have to get medium rings and I didn’t want to do that. I also found the g4 reticle a bit tough to pick up in all but the brightest light.

I went back to my vx3i and I’m happier.

Hi, I'm planning to buy a lightweight hunting rifle in 308 (probably kimber hunter) trying to decide between Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15×42 or Leupold Vx3i 4.5-15×40. I know they aren't equal product lines, these are two scopes that individuals have recommended. I do know the Leupold is lighter. any and all opinions are appreciated. thanks😊
Have you thought about a VX5HD? I know it’s more money but the turrets lock, have a zero stop, glass is really nice and it’s still pretty light.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Have you thought about a VX5HD? I know it’s more money but the turrets lock, have a zero stop, glass is really nice and it’s still pretty light.

I grabbed a vx5 a few months ago when they were on sale at SWFA, I really like it, weighs about 1lb flat and has excellent glass.

wildcat33

WKR
For the conditions you describe I would go for VX5 2-10 or Doug's 2-10 Steiner. 2 power is really nice to have on a hunting gun for that great field of view in dark woods/fast shots.