New scope recommendations for old man eyes

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a new scope for my dad’s Tikka T3.

His current scope has really finicky eye relief and needs something with quicker target acquisition.

Quick target acquisition, 3 or 4x on the bottom, and 15x+ on the top end. He also likes BDC redicals.

I can’t convince him to spend the money on something with a 5x or 6x zoom, even though I think it would be great for his old eyes, so I have been looking at 4-16x scopes. Nikon Monarch M5, Vortex Diamondback, Viper. but if I have missed a good deal on a 5 or 6x zoom scope please share!

So sub $600 scopes with these qualities, anyone seeing any good deals they want to share?

Thanks!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Meopta makes a bunch of scopes in that price range, different zoom levels, reticles etc. He picky about weight of the scope or not? Their Optika 6 line has several with 6x zoom range but on the heavier side. Plenty of models in their line in the 4-16 range that are lighter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Meopta makes a bunch of scopes in that price range, different zoom levels, reticles etc. He picky about weight of the scope or not? Their Optika 6 line has several with 6x zoom range but on the heavier side. Plenty of models in their line in the 4-16 range that are lighter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you, I hadn't even looked at Meopta. He doesn't care about weight. In fact I have been considering swapping his stock for a chassis to add a little weight and fit him better. He is a big dude so nothing normal is ergonomic for him.

Got you covered!
Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40mm with the Boone & Crockett reticle would be just perfect. I have that scope on my 280 AI and love it!! The reticle works as advertised for shots at distance too. You do have to verify on paper first, but it works. My first animal was a nice cow elk one shot at 450 yards. Hit her perfectly and she went about 15 yards and fell over. Next was a whitetail buck at 200 one shot. The next year an antelope at 300 one shot and last fall my grizzly bear one shot at 158 yards.

Should be able to find them for around $450.00 - $550.00 for that particular scope.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Got you covered!
Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40mm with the Boone & Crockett reticle would be just perfect. I have that scope on my 280 AI and love it!! The reticle works as advertised for shots at distance too. You do have to verify on paper first, but it works. My first animal was a nice cow elk one shot at 450 yards. Hit her perfectly and she went about 15 yards and fell over. Next was a whitetail buck at 200 one shot. The next year an antelope at 300 one shot and last fall my grizzly bear one shot at 158 yards.

Should be able to find them for around $450.00 - $550.00 for that particular scope.

Funny you mention that, the scope that is currently on his gun is an older VX3 4.5-14AO with a Boon and Crocket reticle. Maybe there is something wrong with it, but you change the position of your head the tinyist amount and it goes black. Its usable at the range, but in the field its a nighmare. I have never used a scope that is so finicky.

WRO

WKR
Funny you mention that, the scope that is currently on his gun is an older VX3 4.5-14AO with a Boon and Crocket reticle. Maybe there is something wrong with it, but you change the position of your head the tinyist amount and it goes black. Its usable at the range, but in the field its a nighmare. I have never used a scope that is so finicky.

I'd be looking at the 2.4 x12, much more forgiving eyebox.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be looking at the 2.4 x12, much more forgiving eyebox.

I am assuming you mean the Z5 swaro, I might have a hard time convincing him to spend that much.

Either way, whats the best way to tell if a scope has a forgiving eye box from reading specs? I can look at the specs for eye relief on low mag and high mag and see the difference, but I don't think that tells me how finicky it is at a given magnification. Or does it?

WRO

WKR
I am assuming you mean the Z5 swaro, I might have a hard time convincing him to spend that much.

Either way, whats the best way to tell if a scope has a forgiving eye box from reading specs? I can look at the specs for eye relief on low mag and high mag and see the difference, but I don't think that tells me how finicky it is at a given magnification. Or does it?

Yes the Swaro.

Eye relief is 3.75 inches, its more the eyebox to me. my Swarovskis are much more forgiving than my leupolds.

I'd also look at a cheek riser to provide better eye alignment.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Yes the Swaro.

Eye relief is 3.75 inches, its more the eyebox to me. my Swarovskis are much more forgiving than my leupolds.

I'd also look at a cheek riser to provide better eye alignment.

Agreed on focusing on the eyebox, but other than playing with a scope in person how do you derive the dimensions of the eyebox?

His stock has a cheek riser in it, it's the OEM Tikka T3 adj stock.

WRO

WKR
Agreed on focusing on the eyebox, but other than playing with a scope in person how do you derive the dimensions of the eyebox?

His stock has a cheek riser in it, it's the OEM Tikka T3 adj stock.

You have to play with them in person.. Dimensions mean nothing with out seeing it in action.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
You have to play with them in person.. Dimensions mean nothing with out seeing it in action.

I was afraid of that.

Too bad scope manufactures don't publish "threshold" as stated by this Leopold rep:

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
Look for a scope with fixed eye relief. Not sure about the newer leupolds but my old one like your dads had variable eye relief and drove me crazy. I switched to a Zeiss conquest with fixed eye relief and it made a big difference. My last scope was a Swaro and it is similar to the Zeiss. Fixed eye relief would be an improvement imo. Helped me for sure.