New Set Up

Yukondog

WKR
Things I'm set on.. Black gold sight and tight spot quiver. B-stinger

Want to shoot both Hoyt and Mathews.

Rest -Limbdriver or hamskea

Arrows - shooting cx maxima hunters. But want to try smaller diameter arrow with more weight.

Thumb release.

What are you guys using? Through your trail and error what sweet spots have you found?

Hoping to have Evan set me up my March of next year. I have loved my current set up but I need (want) to double up on rigs so my current set up will be my back up bow. This will be a do all bow. Target, 3D and hunting.

Matt

I love bowhunting, it is about the only thing I do!

I really like the Blacks Gold sites, therefore there is one on each of my 4 bows. Flashpoint HD and Ascent's.

I like using a whisker biscuit for hunting and have for the past 8 years, still have one on one of my bows but this past spring I switched to a drop away, a Rip Cord. So far I really like it.

Can't go wrong with the Tight Spots, I have two of them and they are the cat's meow for shooting your bow with a quiver on.

I use Gold Tip arrows, specifically the Kinetics, but have shot many many others to include several different CX's, Carbon Techs, and FMJ's... the Kinetics are my favorite. Heavy arrow, small diameter and they don't bend or dent like a FMJ would.

Just picked up a Carter RX1 release and I can't wait to try it. In the past, I have always used a Tru Ball and they have served me well, I think I will see some increase in my performance with the new Carter, maybe not?

I use a B-Stinger on my bows as well, however; I've used a Doinker for a season and it was ok too.

For 3D, you can't beat a drop away rest, but for hunting I really like the simplicity of the whisker biscuit, we will see how that carries over into my late season hunts this year where I will be running the rip cord. I am also looking forward to trying the Versa Rest on my 3D bow for next spring.

I don't shoot a Hoyt or a Mathews, but if you find one you like and can shoot well, by all means use what works and feels good!

Best of luck.. Man I can't wait to get home and do some bowhunting!!!

Take care,

Nick

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
Thanks Nick! I shoot Bear and love their bows. I have a great customer service story about Bear which almost has me blind folded as to a new bow. I want to shoot a couple different ones befoee I decide.

I guess I'm in also looking for the failures out there. Hard to tune, poor cusromer service, MADE IN USA, etc.

I shot a whisker biscuit for several years. I was doing a to of shooting. Eventually the whiskers along the bottom would fray and my arrow would be sitting low. Multilpe releases and the heat dis it I guess. I was shooting 100+ arrows a day there for a couple years there.

Any malfunctions out there that keep happeneing on equipment?

Matt

SDHNTR

WKR
Nice. I personally have not had good luck with Black Gold Sights. Had an Ascent continually wiggle loose while on the most important hunt of my life-desert sheep. Lost confidence. Went back to Spot Hogg (Tommy Hogg) and the MBG just seems like a toy in comparison. Good choice on the Tight Spot quiver and B Stinger. I'm also a Gold Tip fan. I dig the Kinetics, but right now I am shooting Velocity .300's with a bunch of weight up front for extra FOC. As for a rest, I shot a Limb Driver for years. Great rest. Not familiar with the Hamskea, but hear good things. Currently am using the AAE Pro Drop which is similar, but a serious improvement over the Limbdriver. I'll leave the bow decision up to you as that is a very personal decision.

I guess I have been fortunate in that I haven't really had any malfunctions at all on any of my equipment. In terms of the whisker biscuit and it fraying up on you, they make replacement "wheels" and they are like 12$ and super easy to replace/install. Were you shooting with your cock vane down? I have had the brown portion of the biscuit get frayed out but never the black ones on the bottom that are stiffer than the rest of them.

The only malfunction I can think of happened right before I came over here. I bought a new bow in May and decided to use it on my bear hunt. I shot it ALOT to get used to it the weeks leading up to my hunt. The night I shot my bear I looked at the string near the top cam and you could tell something was "eating" away at it as it was being shot. I sent it in after the hunt, they sanded out a tiny burr inside the Cam and sent it back, 2 weeks tops and it was fixed with no questions asked. NOW... I haven't been home to shoot it, but I asked the company to shoot it through a hooter shooter a hundred times or so to see if it went away... They did that and replaced the string for me. I'd call that good service... All from a company that in the past has been kinda notorious for poor service, under new ownership now and I am glad I had a good experience with them. I have shot their bows for about 12 years and love them, but I just bought another one a few weeks ago, different brand, just to see how I like it. I have a feeling I am going to love it, we will see.

SDHNTR, did MBG fix your site for you? Their service is awesome from my few dealings with them. You are also the first I have heard to have an issue like that with one of thier sites. Nothing wrong with the Spot Hogg's though, plenty of people use them, for good reason too!

I wouldn't go into the new bow experience with a certain brand of bow in mind.. You will find the perfect fit if you leave your bias's at home.. Just shoot a bunch of them and figure out which one shoots best!

Tightspot quivers are nice
I'm shooting Hoyt bows and really like them.
B stinger stab is the only way to go.
Easton Axis or Gt kinetic arrows. Small diameter with more weight.
Hamskea versa rest is legit. Very nice rest.
Carter thumb releases.
i use the Carter Just B Cuz personally

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Any top end bow with those accessories is going to kick butt.

I built my dream bow a year ago, and while id change a few little things im pretty happy with what i got for it.
I built it exactly like your saying, except with a ripcord arrow rest, which is likly the one thing i would change along with a lighter stab.

For thumb releases, carters and stan are going to be your most popular, and highest preformance. I shoot a carter simple 1, love the thing. Big money for these releases, but theres nothing better than a good release.

Iv shot a good number of the small diameter arrows. I keep coming back to the fmj's. However im trying gold tip kinetics now and i have a feeling ill like them.

MGB makes an awsome site, not quite as bullet proof as spot hogg, but close. The reason i shoot them is they have the brightest pins out there and the photochromatic cover really does work.

As for bows go shoot a bunch and let the bow pick you as they say.

Maxhunter

WKR
When I purchase a new bow which is pretty well every year. I put the best accessories on them. My observation is I see way to many folks who can afford the bow, but go cheap on releases, rest etc. Usually within 6 months their upgrading. It's good business I guess for the shops!

I prefer QAD or Fuse QAD Ultra rest on my bows. I like the option that you can let down and the launcher still stays up. I've never had any issue with them at all.

Stabilizers I prefer B-stinger or Fuse Carbon Blades around 10.5 to 12". They've really helped me hold steady and make my groups tighter at 40yds and beyond.

I only use Carter releases. I prefer the Ember 1 it just fits me. This is the biggest area I see folks go cheap.

Arrows I'm a big fan of FMJs. They're accurate and hit hard. People always complain about them bending easily but they've worked great for me and I won't shoot anything else.

As for bows I totally agreed with Lawnboi last statement.

Hey Matt,

Can't wait to get you in the shop!!! Between the Hoyts and the Mathews we just need to get them all in your hands and get you shooting them to see what fits you and what you get along with better. Like the Tight Spot! And a B Stinger Sport Hunter Xtreme we'll just need to play between 6, 8, 10" models OR we could to a 10" front Stab with a B Stinger adjustable side arm and a 6" side rod!!! things to play around with.

I like the Black Gold sights as I have one on my backup bow but I prefer a CBE. Smoother to adjust and I have just had great experiences with them.

Can't go wrong with either rest!!! I prefer the Hamskea.
1. COLORADO based company
2. top limb, bottom limb, cable attached take your pick as a drop away
3. Superb design and engineering

Arrows: I saw your other thread on arrows and weight and posted over there my thoughts. One additional note:
I wouldn't go to 125 gr. That is all a personal choice. But should ANYHTiNG EVER HAPPEN you will find 100 gr heads easier and in greater selection

SDHNTR

WKR
I guess I have been fortunate in that I haven't really had any malfunctions at all on any of my equipment. In terms of the whisker biscuit and it fraying up on you, they make replacement "wheels" and they are like 12$ and super easy to replace/install. Were you shooting with your cock vane down? I have had the brown portion of the biscuit get frayed out but never the black ones on the bottom that are stiffer than the rest of them.

The only malfunction I can think of happened right before I came over here. I bought a new bow in May and decided to use it on my bear hunt. I shot it ALOT to get used to it the weeks leading up to my hunt. The night I shot my bear I looked at the string near the top cam and you could tell something was "eating" away at it as it was being shot. I sent it in after the hunt, they sanded out a tiny burr inside the Cam and sent it back, 2 weeks tops and it was fixed with no questions asked. NOW... I haven't been home to shoot it, but I asked the company to shoot it through a hooter shooter a hundred times or so to see if it went away... They did that and replaced the string for me. I'd call that good service... All from a company that in the past has been kinda notorious for poor service, under new ownership now and I am glad I had a good experience with them. I have shot their bows for about 12 years and love them, but I just bought another one a few weeks ago, different brand, just to see how I like it. I have a feeling I am going to love it, we will see.

SDHNTR, did MBG fix your site for you? Their service is awesome from my few dealings with them. You are also the first I have heard to have an issue like that with one of thier sites. Nothing wrong with the Spot Hogg's though, plenty of people use them, for good reason too!

I wouldn't go into the new bow experience with a certain brand of bow in mind.. You will find the perfect fit if you leave your bias's at home.. Just shoot a bunch of them and figure out which one shoots best!

I'm sure MBG would have fixed the sight, but I never gave them the opportunity. I switched back to Spot Hogg. I just have greater confidence in their sights.

OR Archer

WKR
I like BG sights but Spot Hogg is the way to go. Way more durable and I like the adjustments on the Tommy Hogg better than on the Ascents.

Tight Spot quivers are the best out there in my opinion. Its always my number one recommendation to my customers who aren't budget conscious.

For rests I'm a Trophy Taker fan myself. Simple designs that work. I would like to get my hands on a Hamskea some day and try it out. Looks like a solid rest.

Bows. Well its a good year for bows. Many people seem let down that there wasnt some revolutionary new design but what was release are some really refined bows. Hoyt Spyder 30 is a solid shooter and my favorite from Hoyt this year. The Mathews Creed and Chill are aslo great bows. The Chill is my personal favorite and what I will be shooting this year.

Arrows. Hard to beat the Easton Axis arrow. Its a tough accurate arrow.

Good luck on your new purchasing adventure!

DWarcher

WKR
Currently am using the AAE Pro Drop which is similar, but a serious improvement over the Limbdriver.

Definitely a solid rest...I made a change on the way the rest attaches to the limb which has made it way easier to make adjustments.

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have a QUA Ultra Rest HD. Top of the line drop away rest (to the tune of $130). Last week it got wet in a rainstorm, then for the next 3 days it kept freezing up on me and would raise or drop away. Taking it off and going back to a whiker biscut or trophy taker. Simple designs, highly unlikely to malfunction. I won't accept equipment failure. I beat the hell out of my equipment, so I usually choose to buy the best right up front and am willing to pay for it. I usually dont regret it. I tend to avoid things with added bells and whistles and instead go to things that have less chance of failure. I violated that rule on that rest, and I paid dearly for it (cost me 2 deer).

I LOVE Spott Hogg sights. Made in USA, rock solid tough.

Release- I love Tru Fire, always have used them. All of their stuff is made in Wisconsin.

Big fan of Mathews bows, but most of the manufactures are making good stuff.

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
I too have a QAD rest. It has been a awesome rest. I have heard about the problems with freezing temps and that type of drop away rest. Been lucky so far and have not had a failure. I will have ro choose my next rest carefully.

Matt

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
Updated: So I spent a couple hours shooting some bows today. 2 Mathews, 2 Hoyts, 1 Elite and a Bear. I came out surprised. I will go back in a couple weeks and shoot them again. The one bow I really wanted to shoot was not available and was essentially told I would have to order it and buy it if I wanted to test it out.

I was surprised because the Hoyt Matrix and Spyder felt horrible to me. Nothing felt good. The Elite Hunter felt the best with the Mathews Creed coming in second place. I really want a longer ata bow. I do want to shoot the Elite Answer.

I was very surprised how well the Elite felt. Only small complaint I have is the hand shock. Once a B-stinger was in place it went away. The whole draw cycle was ultra smooth and easy. I also felt like I could hold the bow at full draw for a long time.

Will see if I feel the same in a couple weeks. That Elite bow is a awesome bow!

Matt

J-Daddy

WKR
My .02 cents on a setup...
Release= If your gonna shoot a thumb stay with Carter, Stan or Hot Shot...I've shot tons of them over the years and those are the only ones that impress me..You don't hear much about the Hot Shot but I've used them a lot the past few years and the Tempest from them is top notch, I like it better than the Carters that I've owned and that's saying something cause I love Carter releases.

Rest= Limb driven is the way to go and here's how I rank them
1= Hamskea "it's the bomb"
2= Trophy Taker Smackdown, not as fancy as some but it's built like a tank and that's something I want in a hunting rest
3= AAE Pro Drop, very nice rest but replace the factory launcher with a Hamskea launcher cause that's the weak spot on the Pro Drop...they are prone to breaking
4= Limb Driver Pro & Pro-V, good rests but the build quality has always left something to be desired for me...I've seen issues come up with them over the years.

Sights= Man there are a ton of good ones...I've used the Spot Hoggs, BG Ascents, CBE Tek Hunter & Trophy Taker Heartbreaker and they are all great. It's VERY hard to beat the Ascent and their warranty/customer service is 2nd to none. My biggest complaint with the Hoggs is the weight, they are heavy, CBE builds a great sight but the Ascent has a lot better pins & brightness, I've gotta Heartbreaker single pin I'm playing with right now and I really like it, very well made sight and I'm pretty impressed.

Stabilizers= B-Stinger & Doinker, those are the only brands I bother using anymore....Been shooting a Doinker Dish all fall and really like it a lot but I have some B-Stinger stuff too.

Arrows= Gold Tip or Easton, those are my top 2 companies and pretty much all I shoot these days...Just depends on what you want with a finished arrow.

Quivers= Hard to beat the TightSpot, they are great quivers for sure.

J-Daddy

WKR
Updated: So I spent a couple hours shooting some bows today. 2 Mathews, 2 Hoyts, 1 Elite and a Bear. I came out surprised. I will go back in a couple weeks and shoot them again. The one bow I really wanted to shoot was not available and was essentially told I would have to order it and buy it if I wanted to test it out.

I was surprised because the Hoyt Matrix and Spyder felt horrible to me. Nothing felt good. The Elite Hunter felt the best with the Mathews Creed coming in second place. I really want a longer ata bow. I do want to shoot the Elite Answer.

I was very surprised how well the Elite felt. Only small complaint I have is the hand shock. Once a B-stinger was in place it went away. The whole draw cycle was ultra smooth and easy. I also felt like I could hold the bow at full draw for a long time.

Will see if I feel the same in a couple weeks. That Elite bow is a awesome bow!

Matt

I haven't shot the new Elite Hunter but the Answer is nice and I never noticed any hand shock with them...But I always have a stabilizer on them.