New Setter in the House!

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
Can't beat that! Where did you get him/what's his background? What birds do you hunt or will you hunt with him?

OP
D
Can't beat that! Where did you get him/what's his background? What birds do you hunt or will you hunt with him?

I’ve always wanted a Gordon. Where did you get him?
He’s out of Springset Gordon Setters just north of Medford Oregon. They have been breeding field Gordon’s since the 60’s. should be on the smaller side, 60# and a little shorter hair than the show Gordons. He will be an 90% upland dog, but I’m gonna try to work him into waterfowl and see how it goes.

OP
D
10-4, I have had them bookmarked for years. I’m jealous!
I've only had labs before this. When I bought Boomer, the 8 year old lab I have now, I went back and forth on a few breeds to try next but just couldn't make the switch. The wife grew up with Goldens but I didn't want the hassle of pulling burrs out of golden fur after every hunt. Figured a setter was a pretty good compromise.

KurtR

WKR
How touching! There is no friend better than a dog! As a child, I had a Staffordshire bull terrier. It was red with a tinge of brindle and white. A great family companion. But now, I am moving closer to the forest and will most likely pick up a hunting dog. That's why I'm thinking about German shorthaired pointer. Maybe someone has experience living with this breed? How do you like it? Sometimes in the evenings, I imagine going out onto the porch in the company of my dogs with a glass of excellent gin. I told this to my wife, and she laughed. But then she still supported me and gave a gin gift for such occasion.
They are great dogs but you better have time to train and hunt them. They are not the sit around and lounge type dog. I would put them up there with the ferrari of dogs. They will go all day and be ready for more.

cjdewese

WKR
Once I heard the name Griffey I figured you were a North West guy. :)

Good looking pup with a cool name, enjoy training an awesome dog.

Currently have a border collie but want a more hunt focused dog in the future.