New setup

jfs82

WKR
So I've managed to justify to myself that I have a great reason to buy a new rifle (currently a savage 110) and I wanted to run what I'm currently looking to buy past all of you who are much more knowledgeable than I... Maybe even spark a fun debate.

Bergara b14 ridge 6.5 CM
Leupold VX-3I CDS 3.5x10 40mm
rings+rail (could use recommendations on what set of these I should be looking at that arent real pricey)
FFL fees+ taxes + setup should come out to about 1300

Thanks for the help!

kickemall

WKR
What are you going to be using it for? Hunting what and to what approx. range, targets, truck gun, everything?

OP
J

jfs82

WKR
Hunting deer/pig primarily, possibly black bear. I wouldn't currently trust myself over 300ish yards.

16Bore

WKR
What chambering on the Savage and what are you expecting to get out of the new rifle besides spending money?

howl

WKR
I would look at something with more field of view for the scope. Everybody who uses a scope that does go below 3x has a story about an animal too close. A VXR 2-7x with Fire Dot is what I'd look at in that price range, but I'll shoot 300 yards with a 4x without feeling encumbered.

DNZ unitized mounts are a good value for weight. If weight is not a concern, but a rail is for some reason wanted, TPS rings and EGW rails are a good buy.

howl

WKR
Fun debate: Owning a Savage is all the reason anyone needs to get a more refined rig. Ha!

Apollo117

WKR
Fun debate: Owning a Savage is all the reason anyone needs to get a more refined rig. Ha!
Hey now, I have successfully polished some Savage turds. Now that I own a few Tikkas I'm not sure I'll spend much time trying to make Savage rifles work.

OP
J

jfs82

WKR
What chambering on the Savage and what are you expecting to get out of the new rifle besides spending money?
308, as far as what I'm hoping to get out of it? Relegating the savage to backup/loaner gun to get my brother (money's tight for him) out in the woods with me.

16Bore

WKR
Roger that....

I thought this was another “rifle that will solve all my problems” thread.

No flies on that Savage, don’t let him out shoot you though. I had an O/U shotgun that ended up on a plane ride home with my brother once.

As for your choice....get what you like and like what you get.

OP
J

jfs82

WKR
I thought this was another “rifle that will solve all my problems” thread.

No flies on that Savage, don’t let him out shoot you though. I had an O/U shotgun that ended up on a plane ride home with my brother once.

As for your choice....get what you like and like what you get.[/QUOTE]

No no, I'm pretty new to hunting, but I'm a stubborn s.o.b, I recognize hunting problems are part of the learning process and that doesn't bother me at all, it motivates. And if my brother takes it home, because he wants to hunt more with me, small price to pay.

Last edited:

WKR
Most of this stuff has more resale than archery, photography or camping equipment. Keep experimenting till you find what works for you. SWFA 3-9 would be the scope I'd choose since you asked about opinions, but actually it would probably be the 6x since most of my shots are past 35 yards.