New shelter for SOLO hunter: Tarptent Notch or SMD Lunar Solo or ???

a3dhunter

WKR
Has anyone on here used either one? Pros and cons?

Tarptent notch: 26 oz, with option of partial higher solid wall to prevent wind for extra 1oz.
http://www.tarptent.com/notch.html#overview
takes 4 stakes to pitch.

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo: 23 oz
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html
Takes 6 stakes to pitch.

Any other options in this range. Would prefer a side entry and complete closure or I would just go with a Supertarp and annex.
Had a GoLite SL5 and found I didn't need that much room, or weight.
Thanks
Jason

Solitude

WKR
The Contrail has received some pretty darn good reviews over the years as well so long as snow is not a huge concern. Just another option and one I am considering.

Eagle

WKR
Tarptent's are great products. With you wanting side entry, that takes the contrail out of the picture, but I've seen the contrail take a beating with hail and high winds and be fine at the end of it.

I have a couple tarptents and they have held up great in snow and wind. Never used that model though.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have spent many nights in the Contrail. Excellent full protection tent at bivy weight. Much more room than traditional UL 1 person tents as well.

bandit1

FNG
I have a Tarptent Moment for solo use. It's been surprisingly tough, I think he makes a very good product. The Notch was'nt in his lineup when I bought my Moment. After looking at the Notch and it's specs, I would buy it today in place of the Moment. I like that solid wall option and the dual entry, dual vestibule setup. Looks like a sweet setup. If you do go with the Notch, let us know how you like it, I might have to trade in my Moment for it. Good luck.

I prefer a Kifaru supertarp. Very light can be pitched flat, or like a lean too, or pitched with poles for a bombproof 4 season shelter.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
I prefer a Kifaru supertarp. Very light can be pitched flat, or like a lean too, or pitched with poles for a bombproof 4 season shelter.

The only thing I don't like its crawling in from one end on the Kifaru shelters.
We used Jake's the first weekend of archery season, on a ridgeline where we were worried about the wind switching around like it had the night before, really needed the annex but didn't have it. I just prefer the side entry.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
One important thing to consider is how large of a person are you?? The Lunar Solo is a neat little tent, but I'm 5'9 and could make it work, but if I were over 6' I might start feeling a bit cramped, especially if going for a few days and had to hole up due to bad weather. Thats when an extra 6 oz or so for a shelter makes all the difference to me. If the weather is mine you can use a simple 10-12 oz tarp. But when its raining sideways and down to the deck and you are waiting out a storm even 90 sq ft can seem small after some time laid up in there. :D

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
One important thing to consider is how large of a person are you?? The Lunar Solo is a neat little tent, but I'm 5'9 and could make it work, but if I were over 6' I might start feeling a bit cramped, especially if going for a few days and had to hole up due to bad weather. Thats when an extra 6 oz or so for a shelter makes all the difference to me. If the weather is mine you can use a simple 10-12 oz tarp. But when its raining sideways and down to the deck and you are waiting out a storm even 90 sq ft can seem small after some time laid up in there. :D

I'm 6'1" and if I'm waiting out a storm in a shelter I'm either going to be laying down reading a book or sleeping.....and if it's going to continue raining for days I'll just hunt in it.
Luke, if I was in your position I would go bigger but it seems I'm always within a couple hours of the trailhead, even when packed in and my hunting will be keeping me in Colorado for a few years, not Alaska.(color me jealous!)

Specs:
Tarptent Notch
length 84" tub, 108" total inside length
Height 45"
Width 34" tub, 76 total with vestibule
weight 26oz includes 4 stakes
$259

SMD Lunar Solo
Length 90"
Height 48"
Width 48"
Weight 23 oz, does not include 6 stakes that are needed at .5 oz a piece= +3oz= 26 oz total
$200

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
I've been looking at the ZPacks Hexamid Solo. Looks pretty similar to what you are looking at but quite a bit cheaper. You can get it fully enclosed or as a tarp as well.

Total weight for tent, stuff sack, steaks, seam sealed, etc. is 15.5 oz so quite a bit lighter.

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid.shtml

Interesting, but looks like rain spray can be a problem, and you still need a ground sheet or bivy. With the 6" of screen mesh at the bottom it won't block the wind very well.
Still something to consider with how light it is.

shanevg

WKR
The 15.5 oz includes the groundsheet. The extended beak (also included in the weight) should protect from wind and rain splash.

Cabman

Lil-Rokslider
I had the SMD Lunar solo years ago but sold it pretty quick for Gossamer gears "The One" shelterI use The One mostly for summer time backpack flyfishing trips and for 16 oz all up you can hardly beat it. The SMD was a good shelter, just felt small. The shelter i use most when I'm not under a tarp is the Rainbow by Tarptent, sets up fast and has plenty of room to store my pack and Bow. I have looked and researched the Notch shelter quite a bit and if I was in the market to try a new shelter, this is the one that I will try next.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am very happy with my SMD Duo. I'm 5'11" and 175#. I personally wouldn't go the solo route. For the increased weight I can keep all my gear under wraps (everything, bow, pack, etc) and have dual side entry and vestibule.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord